Welcome to PatsFans.com

Good For Utah!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

The part in red sort of qualifies BrandonFive's post in regards to people being given freedom of choice.....even homeless people, given personal responsibility along with state help, are finding a way to make it work.

(Brandon's post)http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/819674-reform-page2.html

Though a recent congressional report announced recession-driven rises in poverty rates in 46 states, Utah is coming close to achieving its 10-year goal of eliminating chronic homelessness. The solution of the state is simple: give homes to the homeless.

Deseret News reports a drastic 69 percent fall in chronic homelessness ("people who have experienced homelessness once within the past year or have had three episodes of homelessness in four years") in the past five years.

The plunge in numbers is credited to Utah's “Ten-Year Strategic Action Plan to End Chronic Homelessness--a proposal aiming to complete its goal of eliminating chronic poverty by 2014 through a series of "Housingworks" programs.

The model allows homeless citizens freedom in their use of the system. The homeless are given access to their own apartments, while the state provides job training and offer social services, including substance abuse programs, to help residents assimilate to a steady job and social life.

Though the housing isn't free (tenants use 30 percent of their state-facilitated income for rent), it is affordable and permanent.

Where many transitional housing programs offer state-subsidized residences for a fixed period of time, Utah's offer of lasting housing provides stability and safety for the chronically homeless. Nor is the housing contingent on a contract with the state to undergo rehabilitative programs or counseling--the state simply requires residents to be, "good stewards of their personal and shared housing areas and maintain good relations with other tenants, case managers, and property managers."

The rate has dropped so significantly that the Midvale winter homeless shelter may be able to close in coming years--allowing its almost $1 million budget to be allocated to other homelessness services, reports the Salt Lake Tribune.

How Utah Will Soon End Chronic Homelessness

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +841 / 27 / -33

For such a "red state" Utah has some interesting politics, believe they also allow illegal aliens to vote.. would not expect that.

3. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I live in Utah atm, and let me tell you its ass backwards around here.....They say they are a red state but act more like a blue state, did you know they have a law now that if you build a restaurant or a bar you have to build a 4 foot wall or higher when you serve alcohol so that people don't have to watch you drink.....lol wow!

There are a few other things that just make you laugh, for a red state that preaches about government involvement in its life's, it sure likes it if it fits there agenda or ideology
    Like most right wing states, its full of hypocrisy.

I'm glad though they have this program, its a move in the right direction!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +841 / 27 / -33

I love traveling in southern Utah, and they have the most polite people that have ever run across.. been through three times now, every time am impressed with how polite they are.

Good Morning Sir, gee whiz it is going to be a nice today, what would you like for breakfast...

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Back in the day, I always liked to stop at the toll booths from Boston to Florida. Always intrigued by the South Carolina friendliness.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Friendly People, friendly places, enjoy it while you can, times are changing, the America we all knew is on it's way out, we're giving it away.

:bricks:
    "welcome to america, step right up and get your new free automobile, there's plenty of food stamps and EBT cards in the trunk, we love you, we love your germs, oh lord, i feel so good"

GOD DAMN HALIBURTON

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

Utah is the most conservative state in the country politically. Their conservatism is informed by the dominate religion in the area Mormonism. They have a church based social safety net where people are held accountable. They are interested in seeing people making the transition to being productive and able to make it on their own.

Note the statement in your post:

behaving in the way specified is inconsistent with drug abuse or domestic abuse, ie their is a level of accountability not present in the typical programs in lib mecca's.

I understand this is confusing to libs but conservatives are interested in not having people be permanent wards of the state, but in becoming productive citizens. Cheaper in the long run.

I was stationed at Hill AFB and went to the Univ Of Utah, very familiar with the culture there.