PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good Football Outsiders piece on the Pats attacking Buffalo's nickel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved the analysis. Wonder why in this HD era the photos were so blurry? They were excellent illustrating the points made. Cannot over emphasize that the Bills played into Pats hands with an unchanging defensive alignment that was too small and light vs the Pats heavy TE run blocking attack. Guess they simply had to choose their manner of destruction. In this case they got both, destruction by air and ground.

Pre-game ex-Pat Matt Chatham predicted the way the Pats would attack with heavy TE not that that was a secret and that Buff would stick with the 4 man rush. Said this Buffalo defense was taylor made for NE's makeshift OL alignment whose inexperience together could be exploited by a blitz from anywhere team but would do well where blocking assignments were clearly known and that basic execution to a plan would be all that's required.

You've got to stop ruining this forum by posting actually football articles. We're habituated to pissing contest threads picking on the latest member of the team losers club.

Loved the analysis. Wonder why in this HD era the photos were so blurry? They were excellent illustrating the points made. Cannot over emphasize that the Bills played into Pats hands with an unchanging defensive alignment that was too small and light vs the Pats heavy TE run blocking attack. Guess they simply had to choose their manner of destruction. In this case they got both, destruction by air and ground.

Absolutely on this point. Had the Bills countered with a heavier alignment, like a 4/4 or something, then the TE's would have released into routes and TB would have tore them up (even more so than he already did!). This is what Bill wanted with the TE heavy offense we have now, and I'm loving it :)

Loved the analysis. Wonder why in this HD era the photos were so blurry?

Those photos are from the All-22 footage from NFL GameRewind. Unfortunately the All-22 footage provided by the NFL is in SD. Go figure.

Those photos are from the All-22 footage from NFL GameRewind. Unfortunately the All-22 footage provided by the NFL is in SD. Go figure.

It's SO 20th century

Great article/analysis. Thanks a ton for posting it!

This part made me chuckle a little:

Luckily for the Bills they have a guy responsible for that gap. Unluckily for the Bills it’s the safety playing in the box.

A nice little blurb highlighting how important Gronk is to all of this:

The other key facet of this play is Gronkowski’s block on former teammate Mark Anderson. Jimmy Graham may be a better receiver (maybe), but he’s not in Gronk’s league as a blocker. His ability to block a defensive end one-on-one on a slow-developing play like this is a huge advantage for the Patriots. Anderson was barely able to lay a hand on Ridley as he ran through the hole for an 11-yard gain.

There may be some more growing pains as they tinker with this offense, but I have the feeling they'll be worth it in the long run.

Nice find, and interesting read.

Thanks! :)

Rex Ryan has taken note, when he was running 7db's. That won't fly this year.

Fantastic find! That analysis is pretty intelligent you could almost swear it came from Chris Brown.. very intellectual.

Wow, I clicked onto this forum, read the thread and article and have a shot at leaving with as many brain cells as i started with. Better quit while I am ahead.

Reading this article makes me realize even more how valuable Gronk is. They're in nickel mainly because none of their LBs can cover him. At that point, if Gronk can block the DE, its going to be a long day for their safeties.

i LOVE articles like this

Ben Muth said:
Muth100412-4.jpg
If you look at the picture above, you see there’s already a huge hole developing. Byrd has a great view of the play as it is developing and has the best chance to stop it. It’s Byrd’s job to come in and squeeze that hole as much as possible while keeping his outside arm free to make a tackle if Brandon Bolden bounces it outside Gronkowski’s block.

This is not to correct Muth, as the way he describes it appears to jive with Byrd's responsibilities as he plays them here, and its more of a FYI, but there is another method front seven players, as Byrd is here, or even force players, use against trap and counter blocking such as this, and its called Wrong Arm technique.

Instead of keeping his outside arm free and trying to fend off a kickout block with his inside, which is admittedly ideal if difficult, Wrong Arm means meeting that trap blocker (Gronkowski) with the outside shoulder in front, i.e. hitting him with the "wrong arm" from a tackling perspective... basically you are turning into him with force, and the idea is to blow up the blocker as quickly as possible without worrying about making a tackle or defending your gap. If you blow up the block fast enough or hard enough, the running back can't use it as a lead and has to cut around the pile, both of which delay him getting upfield.

This is sometimes called "trapping the trap." You are essentially defensively trap blocking a trap blocker.

If Byrd or the Bills had used Wrong Arm here, it is probable that Bolden would have had to bounce outside, which would have given the safety a better angle on him, allowed the cornerback to get involved, and given any other defenders in the area a longer opportunity to get off blocks. Bolden ended up tunneling right up the middle of the field for 20 yards.

perfect example of pass setting up the run. you don't have a good pass-attack...it doesn't force those nickel packages

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye