PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good Excerpt re: Awesome College Kicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtonian

Rookie
Reaction score
Pats could do worse than Gostkowski from Memphis. Credit to the Commercial Appeal newspaper from Memphis for the following article excerpt:

"To most football players, the architectural dimensions of Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium are irrelevant.

For kickers, the stadium's sombrero shape can add a degree of difficulty, especially on a windy autumn afternoon.

Which is just one reason why University of Memphis special teams coach Tyson Helton was gushing about Tiger kicker Stephen Gostkowski's contributions to the UofM's 26-3 win over Marshall on Saturday.

"Greatest performance I've ever seen by a kicker," Helton said. "Unbelievable."

On a day given over, in large part, to celebrating running back DeAngelo Williams as the acknowledged greatest player in the history of the program, Gostkowski used his right leg to remind the crowd of 46,403 that there was another senior leaving his own considerable legacy.

He also made a strong case that the voters for the Lou Groza Award may have acted in haste in leaving him out of the top three.

Gostkowski's first field goal, from 49 yards and into a stiff wind, came on the final play of the first half and pushed Memphis's lead to 17-3.

His second, from 53 yards, set a new school record.

His fourth, back into the wind from 42 yards, gave him 67 career field goals to set a new Conference USA record. He also converted two extra points and put four of his six kickoffs through the end zone for touchbacks."

Just read about him last night in a draft guide. We should have 3 6round draft choices when the comp picks are awarded. He's rated a 6th-7th rounder as all the best kickers are this year.

It would be worth spending a 6th rounder on him or the kid from Ohio State.

PATSNUTme said:
Just read about him last night in a draft guide. We should have 3 6round draft choices when the comp picks are awarded. He's rated a 6th-7th rounder as all the best kickers are this year.

It would be worth spending a 6th rounder on him or the kid from Ohio State.
Or Connor Hughes from Virginia. They're all draftable late, IMO. We're down to Edinger or Todd Peterson among name FA, unless I'm missing someone. I'd prefer to draft a guy to compete with a journeyman veteran.

BelichickFan said:
Or Connor Hughes from Virginia. They're all draftable late, IMO. We're down to Edinger or Todd Peterson among name FA, unless I'm missing someone. I'd prefer to draft a guy to compete with a journeyman veteran.

Huston from OSU and Scifers from NWMSU are expected to be drafted as well.

UGH - The worry, concern and challange of finding a damn kicker begins.....

I saw Connor Hughes from UVA kick and he is a tremendous kicker.

If we are down to Peterson just sit and take time finding a kicker and yes draft one in the 6th round would be good start clean .

Kind of puts things in perspective when you can choose between the three best kickers for a 6th round pick.

Hell, if we get our comp picks, we can draft all three just to piss everybody off. :D

Are college kickers still permitted to use a tee when

kicking field goals?

I wouldn't mind them using a 6th and a 7th round pick on some kickers they feel are worth bringing in for a look.

And then they should hold widespread tryouts of all kinds of UFAs

Make it the American Idol of kickers

Whoever takes the position - if we don't go the veteran route - I expect might not be as good a clutch kicker as AV right out of the box, but I'll bet we pick up some sorely needed yardarge on our kickoffs, which can pay big dividends in keeping opposing team points off the board

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back