PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good ESPN Article: "Halting the New England steamroller"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask . . . if BB is "the BRAIN", does that make Rex Ryan "Pinky"? :singing:

Last edited:
Rex would have a Pacman head...:rofl:

"Snackman"

I loved what Mike Mayock said on NFLN.He said Brady and the Pats are using 27 different formations to run about 4 basic plays.....brilliant disguise.

Also,Brian Baldinger on Playbook AFC said about the Bear's 2-deep safeties:"What were they guarding back there?"....."The Snow?"...too funny:rocker:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good ESPN Article? Is that like "Jumbo Shrimp?":D

one way to slow the pats down on offense - dont turn the ball over to the pats D. the pats D has setup short fields and scored touchdowns which these mediots actually fail to recognize. All they see is
30+ pts = pats offense scoring 80 yard drives for each point.

i wish one analyst of those highly paid ones pointed this out.

one way to slow the pats down on offense - dont turn the ball over to the pats D. the pats D has setup short fields and scored touchdowns which these mediots actually fail to recognize. All they see is
30+ pts = pats offense scoring 80 yard drives for each point.

i wish one analyst of those highly paid ones pointed this out.

The Pat's D is definitely flying under the radar. An argument could be made that the offense's ability to get a good lead, forces mistakes from the opposition. Of course we know better. ;)

Why all this talk about can the pats be beat? It's not like our players go out there and talk smack..The Falcons have the same record. Can they be beat? jeez it always seems like every week the team we play is playing their superbowl.

Alot Of Formations Is What Makes Our Offense So Good...

"They've captured magic in a bottle this season," Dilfer said. "They used to come at you with four to six different formations. Now, they have so many variations, one tight end, two tight ends, three tight ends. I just broke down the recent Jets game. In their first 27 regular plays -- I excluded three goal-line plays -- they showed 27 different formations and at least a dozen different personnel groupings.

So between posting in the thread about stopping our offense and figuring out the "blueprint" to beating and the Patriots and stopping Brady.... This article was pretty interesting to me.

We have talked about teams and their attempts at executing this and of course, the obvious way by getting to Brady with the pass rush and neutralizing the short pass but I was listening to Dale and Holley and Trent Dilfer mentioned something in this article that I never paid attention to. Maybe all of you pat heads did but this is pretty interesting to me.

Its like our offense is like a virus. It changes so much to where there is no cure for it. Thats why its so hard to stop.

Thoughts?

Read full article here... The New England Patriots seem to be unstoppable, but are they? - ESPN

Re: Alot Of Formations Is What Makes Our Offense So Good...

So between posting in the thread about stopping our offense and figuring out the "blueprint" to beating and the Patriots and stopping Brady.... This article was pretty interesting to me.

We have talked about teams and their attempts at executing this and of course, the obvious way by getting to Brady with the pass rush and neutralizing the short pass but I was listening to Dale and Holley and Trent Dilfer mentioned something in this article that I never paid attention to. Maybe all of you pat heads did but this is pretty interesting to me.

Its like our offense is like a virus. It changes so much to where there is no cure for it. Thats why its so hard to stop.

Thoughts?

Read full article here... The New England Patriots seem to be unstoppable, but are they? - ESPN

They are mixing it up on the defense too.. their dime and nickel packages are very fluid with lots of different coverages and changes just before the snap, including multiple substitutions that throws the offensive coords into a confused state, where they call the wrong play .. I've noticed this a couple of times on the run when they were getting stuffed right at the line.

If they didn't have the right players, all those formations wouldn't mean jack.

The fact they have versatile player like the young TE's, allowing them to change things up and show a lot of different stuff while still being able to execute the run or pass is the key, IMO.

That... and Brady. He is kind of why the offense is so good as well.

If they didn't have the right players, all those formations wouldn't mean jack.

The fact they have versatile player like the young TE's, allowing them to change things up and show a lot of different stuff while still being able to execute the run or pass is the key, IMO.

That... and Brady. He is kind of why the offense is so good as well.

Right. But you think, that many formations and subs? How can you possibly adapt to that type of play? Every play different people coming in and formations all over the place. That has to be tough. I think in the playoffs, it'll get worse. BB will pull out the playbooks on them!

I wonder how many times other teams do this?

Unpredictability, I think that will make this offense tougher to shut down in the playoffs than 2007. Hopefully Connolly is okay, or will be okay in a few weeks and we have the OL at full strength when it matters.

Tate has gotten real close on a few deep balls this year too in addition to catching a few. If he can become a consistent downfield threat for this offense, look out.

Not just the formation, but the personnel changes have been tremendous as well. Last year it was mostly Posse (311) but this year it's been wide-varying, jumbo, ace, posse, tank, etc. So it's actually a force multiplier- (formation) x (personnel) x (alignment) x (play) = huge combination.

So when you try to counter this by trying to outthink or outguess the offense, like Rex Ryan did, you are going to lose big time. I wrote a while ago that it was like trying to outguess three slot machines lined up to each other.

Ryan would have been way better off if he'd just left his two best corners in man on Welker and Branch. It wouldn't have stopped them but would have at least slowed them down.

The one critical factor here is and has always been Brady. Stop or confuse him, and you stop or sabotage this offense. Ryan confused Brady in week two by how often he was dropping people into coverage (after faking blitz), and when we played Cleveland, their D did such a great job in disguising coverages pre-snap that he just couldn't get them to tip their hand. Their roaming LB's also helped to complicate trying to establish the Mike.

The one critical factor here is and has always been Brady. Stop or confuse him, and you stop or sabotage this offense. Ryan confused Brady in week two by how often he was dropping people into coverage (after faking blitz), and when we played Cleveland, their D did such a great job in disguising coverages pre-snap that he just couldn't get them to tip their hand. Their roaming LB's also helped to complicate trying to establish the Mike.

Granted when ever Brady sees something new, it is cause for confusion, however it shouldn;t take a whole game to make adjustments. The OC needs to jump on this new stuff and get the Pats offense in plays that Brady can make positive yardage on.

Come the playoffs teams will have a new strategy against our offense and out coaching staff will need to pick up the pacce and make adjustments quicker.

Turnovers by an offense are killers, new schemes by defenses are merely an obstacle and we have the talent to overcome those obstacles, we just need quicker and better guidance.

Re: Good ESPN Article

And for some reason the image of the Pats on ESPN associated with this article cracked me up.

nfl_cm_pats_576.jpg

Picture is seriously flawed. Look how smooth cut the sleeves are on BB sweatshirt.

Otherwise well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey