PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good, concise analysis of Pats offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this offense is the culmination of what they've been trying to do over the past 4-5 years. Bennett represents the final piece of the puzzle. When Lewis comes back, it will be unlike anything we've ever seen before.

I read the phrase somewhere "Now we will show them the power of this fully operational Death Star." That's how it feels! We will be destroying planets with this juggernaut.

I'm just praying everyone stays healthy so we can see how it does through the playoffs.

When Dion is back we can do some interesting things. We can line Dion as a WR outside and put Jules in the backfield with Gronk/Bennett on the inside and then motion Jules on the line or even give him a run play. The options with an elite pass catching back and two TEs that are matchup nightmares and can block gives us something unique. Throw in Hogan and Brady can go deep as well. Imagine we can isolate one of those guys against a slow LB, you cant blitz us or play us off.

I just hope we can stay healthy

It makes me wonder how I'd try to scheme against the Patriots.

I'd probably play in a Dime the entire game and beg them to run. Or for Brady to start getting bored with handing off all game and make an ill advised pass call. Maybe you'll get three stops in a game, and hope your offense can score 30+ to have a chance.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
When Dion is back we can do some interesting things. We can line Dion as a WR outside and put Jules in the backfield with Gronk/Bennett on the inside and then motion Jules on the line or even give him a run play. The options with an elite pass catching back and two TEs that are matchup nightmares and can block gives us something unique. Throw in Hogan and Brady can go deep as well. Imagine we can isolate one of those guys against a slow LB, you cant blitz us or play us off.

I just hope we can stay healthy

I still think they should have drafted a 3-down RB but Lewis is the next best thing.

JE11/Hogan/Gronk/Marty/Lewis is downright frightening.

Lewis back would be awesome. If not, I'd also settle for Vollmer or Jackson coming back. Extra time for Brady would still be nice too. I like what White is doing in Lewis' place.

This offense can get amazing, especially with Lewis coming back.

But what is more amazing is that the OP has been a member since 2005 and this thread was his first post. Impressive self denial.

What the Giants did in two Super Bowls and the Bengals did in the beginning yesterday, get lots of pressure and keep Brady off his game.....if possible.
...get pressure without blitzing

the Pats do what is smart based on matchups...make it so they cant help themselves but hand the ball off

if that means 3 on the line and 8 in coverage tahts what you do...but the goal is simple, make it so they feel they HAVE to run rather than pass

and if theyre still passing, put up only 2DL, and hope during a drive youll get two good run stops in a row and then theyd prob have to punt

...get pressure without blitzing

Which takes a geno atkins/Michael Johnson/Carlos Dunlop interior, or Justin tuck/osi umenyiora/Michael Strahan. Or Wolfe/Miller/ ware/ Jackson from last year.

There just aren't that many teams with that type of push up front.

May I also add that for this counting on Lewis making a significant upgrade, James white is going to be hard to keep off the field. His catching is on par, or better than Vereens, and he's clearly earned Toms trust. Having a back who can exploit a dime defense with a run would be great, but as great as Lewis looked last year, I have no expectation he will be able to pick up where he left off.

Lewis back would be awesome. If not, I'd also settle for Vollmer or Jackson coming back. Extra time for Brady would still be nice too. I like what White is doing in Lewis' place.

One of Brady's greatest skills is releasing within 2 seconds. Jackson or Vollmer would be great; we need the additional bodies in case of injury. However, I would expect no great improvement in the offense with either active. On the other hand, a healthy Lewis could be a major addition against some teams.

What the Giants did in two Super Bowls and the Bengals did in the beginning yesterday, get lots of pressure and keep Brady off his game.....if possible.

With Edelman at close to full health and Lewis back, that's going to be nearly impossible to do. With both of those guys playing last year, Brady was getting the ball out in under 2 seconds. That number went up significantly after Lewis went down for the season and Edelman got hurt and never fully recovered.

It makes me wonder how I'd try to scheme against the Patriots.

I'd probably play in a Dime the entire game and beg them to run. Or for Brady to start getting bored with handing off all game and make an ill advised pass call. Maybe you'll get three stops in a game, and hope your offense can score 30+ to have a chance.
Here is what you HAVE to do if you want even a chance to slow down this defense. (a VERY simplistic explanation, and its really no secret) Step one, you have to take on the receivers early in either a match up tight zone, or man to man. It is critical that you cover the short pass and keep Brady from throwing in rhythm and have to go to 2nd and 3rd reads. That MIGHT give you enough time to get to Brady with just a 4 or 5 man rush. Cinci did it to perfection in the first half and STILL ended up trailing at the half.

Here's the problem with that. EVENTUALLY the Pats will breakdown what you are doing and in their system with THIS QB, they are flexible to readjust their routes and formations to turn your advantage into a detriment. Like what the Pats did to Cinci in the last 24 minutes of the game.

He's the ONLY hope you have and that is to vary your coverages almost on every play as to how tight you play man or zone, who you double, and what you run up front, and HOPE you guess right enough times to hit Brady and get him off his game, and make him question his own reads, and hope like hell for multiple TO's

Of course this doesn't take into consideration the run game. :eek: Most of the time, in today's game, if you hold someone under 20, you've played a great defensive game. With Brady and his weapons and his experience, keeping them under 30 would be a good job. I'd want combat pay to prepare against the Pats. Cinci did as good a job as you could hope for and they still managed to put up 33 without the aid of defensive TO.

Can we start with Pluto?

Frigging planet wanna be....!

Leave Pluto alone!

LeaveBritneyAlone.jpg

I still think they should have drafted a 3-down RB but Lewis is the next best thing.

JE11/Hogan/Gronk/Marty/Lewis is downright frightening.

The 3-down RB is so hard to find. Not sure who was out there when we had a pick to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes