PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good Chance We're Getting a 100% Easley This Upcoming Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never a fan of the selection but i hope he pans out. They can use some type of interior rush.

Seattle wanted him and were going to choose him with the 32nd pick.
The Patriots wanted him (obviously) and ultimately got him with their 29th pick.

Both of those teams got to the Super Bowl this year. Thats enough authority for me to appeal to it.

Last edited:
Easley didn't demonstrate the explosiveness that many anticipated based on his college tape. But that's probably a combination of (1) recovery from his ACL injury, and (2) learning to play within the structure of BB's system. What he did show was good discipline and versatility along with better edge setting than anticipated. A work in progress, but I'm hopeful that he absorbed enough that BB will start to relax his leash if he's fully healthy.

Trying not to drink all the Kool-Aide but clearly BB felt comfortable enough with the kid's ability and understanding of this defense to play him 262 snaps and likes what he did for the team in 2014.

Rookie defensive lineman Dominique Easley was placed on the injured reserve this week and will miss the rest of the season to recover from a knee injury. At this morning's press conference, Bill Belichick said that, despite the time missed due to injury, that the University of Florida product showed improvement.

"I think he made a lot of progress, but that chapter is closed for this year," Belichick said. "He’ll have a lot of opportunity to make gains in the offseason, like all first-year players will."

Easley, who played in 11 games and started two, made 10 tackles, a sack and an interception after being selected 29th overall in this year's draft. Belichick was asked if it was a difficult decision to place Easley on injured reserve.

"I mean, the decision we made was based on what we felt was best, so I think that pretty much answers the question," he said. "It’s really more a medical decision. So, (we) followed that advice, that protocol. In the end, I think what we did was the best thing, so hopefully it will turn out that way."

Did you miss the word "healthy" in his post?

BB liked him vs Indy.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- In his weekly breakdown following a victory on Patriots.com, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick highlighted one of the plays that came up in film review and it reflected rookie defensive tackle Dominique Easley's positive impact.

The play came in the second quarter, with running back Trent Richardson dropped for a loss of 3 yards (9:17). A crucial effort came from Easley, who pressed tight end Coby Fleener back and re-created the line of scrimmage. Belichick also noted the strong run force from cornerback Darrelle Revis on left tackle Anthony Castonzo.

"Easley does a nice job here, knocking it back," Belichick said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../4772589/dominique-easleys-impact-highlighted

With the 29th pick of the 2014 the Patriots pick Dominic Easley..

While we often criticize these draft picks, need to remind us that we pick near the bottom every year... and perhaps there were better choices.. but at least 29 teams passed on those picks as well.

Easley has a lot bigger issues than simply health though. People have thrown around the name Aaron Donald, but the 2 are miles apart from an instinct, leverage and a hand usage standpoint. I think those areas were as large of a contributor to his struggles as a rookie as his bad knees were to be honest.

Nothing that can't be solved with experience, but he's not simply health away from being an impact player.

Trying not to drink all the Kool-Aide but clearly BB felt comfortable enough with the kid's ability and understanding of this defense to play him 262 snaps and likes what he did for the team in 2014.

I'm certainly not advocating drinking Kool-Aide. But the most encouraging thing to me is that BB seemed pleased with Easley's progress during the season. He commented on it at several points. In October, after Chandler Jones went out for a prolonged period with a hip injury, BB noted:
Head coach Bill Belichick touched on Easley’s unique ability to play anywhere on the line.

“Well, Easley has really played all those spots across the board from college and even back from the spring and when he was able to practice in training camp, he’s worked all the way from outside the tight end to on the center’s nose,” Belichick said. “He’s been at every spot.

That is unusual," Belichick acknowledged. "He has a unique set of skills that allow him to do that. Quick enough to play outside and enough playing strength to play inside to a degree. Good instinctiveness in terms of recognizing blocking schemes. He knows there are a lot of different things that can happen when you are in there between a guard and a center or a guard and a tackle, compared to when you are outside with a tight end.”

Belichick also explained that Easley, whose natural position is defensive tackle, is impressive in that he can move from the inside to the outside of the line.

The game from the inside-out as opposed to the outside-in is different,” Belichick said. “So, there’s not a lot of guys that that comes real easy to. There’s a few, but not a lot.

Belichick compared Easley to defensive tackle Vince Wilfork and even linebacker Dont'a Hightower in their versatility.

I would say Vince is like that,” Belichick said. “He’s very instinctive -- not that he is going to play in a 9-technique, but center, guard, tackle and playing on the tight end -- he instinctively does things well there. Same thing with the linebacker position with a guy like Hightower that can play end of the line, that can play tackle bubble, guard bubble, that can play as a middle linebacker over the center.

It’s hard to find those guys that have that kind of instinctiveness that can see the game I don’t want to say equally well, but pretty equally well at those different spots.

“It’s a lot different looking at the game outside-in vs. inside-out and to be able to flip back and forth and do that -- not everybody can do that by a long stretch. It takes physical talent but it also takes a mental and instinctive skill to be able to handle that transition, too.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../belichick-cites-easleys-versatility-instinct

Pretty strong stuff from BB. [And, unrelated to this thread, that kind of rare versatility and explosiveness is why I'm so excited about Marcus Hardison in the draft.]

A month later, BB singled out some of Easley's work in his film breakdown of the Pats' win over the Colts:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../4772589/dominique-easleys-impact-highlighted

BB also lauded Easley's work effort and film study.

BB tends to throw a lot at players, and development takes time. Dont'a Hightower took 2 years to explode, but once he put it all together the result was spectacular. Injuries and adapting to new positions/techniques aren't easy. The fact that Easley was putting the work in and apparently making progress is reasonable cause for optimism, along with his getting healthy.

All we see in games is the tip of the iceberg. The fact that BB was so openly optimistic about Easley and his progress during the season is the main reason that I'm optimistic that a healthy Easley will potentially have a major impact.

Last edited:
Really? I thought he played quite poorly in his snaps last season.

He was OK, but progressed to the point of having a solid performance at DE against Chicago. Their LT even went so far as tossing some eyebrow raising accolades Easley's way.

The problem is that he hurt his shoulder and never really recovered, as well as tweaking his knee again.

If Dominique can just be consistently the guy he was against the Bears, he's no worse than average.

Defensive linemen ALWAYS start slow in the Pats system. They are all taught to 2 gap and other read and react techniques right from the start. Rarely are they ever allowed to simply go all out on a rush, like many DL's are across the league. Even a potential HOFer like Richard Seymour had a very unspectacular rookie season, doing most of the grunt work along the interior of the DL in 2001. In fact Seymour rarely put up the glory stats of the defensive lineman even in his prime, when he was universally considered the top DLman in the league.

BB might allow Easely to be more aggressive than in the 2 gap 3-4 days, but he still makes EVERYONE learn to 2 gap to start.

Defensive linemen ALWAYS start slow in the Pats system. They are all taught to 2 gap and other read and react techniques right from the start. Rarely are they ever allowed to simply go all out on a rush, like many DL's are across the league. Even a potential HOFer like Richard Seymour had a very unspectacular rookie season, doing most of the grunt work along the interior of the DL in 2001. In fact Seymour rarely put up the glory stats of the defensive lineman even in his prime, when he was universally considered the top DLman in the league.

BB might allow Easely to be more aggressive than in the 2 gap 3-4 days, but he still makes EVERYONE learn to 2 gap to start.

I think you are selling Sey a little short, but I agree with your overall assessment. Warren may not have even played his rookie year if not for Washington getting hurt, and he was largely a non-factor in the playoffs. Vince played a lot, largely because NE ran a lot of 3-4 and couldn't play Traylor on every down, but it took him until the middle of 2005 to come into his own. He was getting pushed all over the place so they moved him a yard off the ball and it made an enormous difference.

DL take time.

As for Easley, every single piece I read about him pre-draft said that he would have been a top 10 prospect had it not been for the knees. I don't know where the rhetoric about his instinct, leverage and hand usage comes from, but I never came across it.* If anything, his instincts were applauded.

* It may have been in part of some stock "negatives", but nothing anyone felt they should be worried about.

Even a potential HOFer like Richard Seymour had a very unspectacular rookie season, doing most of the grunt work along the interior of the DL in 2001. In fact Seymour rarely put up the glory stats of the defensive lineman even in his prime, when he was universally considered the top DLman in the league..

...who I still rate as besides Brady, the most important player on the dynasty years. Destroys single teams. Takes double teams and allows LBs to flow to the ball. Rush the passer. Defend the run. Very unique player.

Easley didn't demonstrate the explosiveness that many anticipated based on his college tape. But that's probably a combination of (1) recovery from his ACL injury, and (2) learning to play within the structure of BB's system. What he did show was good discipline and versatility along with better edge setting than anticipated. A work in progress, but I'm hopeful that he absorbed enough that BB will start to relax his leash if he's fully healthy.
Because easley relies on speed and quickness coming off knee injuries probably affected him more than a defensive tackle that relies on power.

Last edited:
I will believe it when I see it. For now, I will be happy if he manages to even play a meaningful number of snaps and not suck

They still need a big-strong body in the middle, to replace Wilfork. No way Easley is his replacement.

They still need a big-strong body in the middle, to replace Wilfork. No way Easley is his replacement.
Agreed. They still need some fattys on the line.

Wilfork played ~70% of the snaps last year. I assume those snaps played came in base and sub-packages.

Not sure how many times Easley and VW saw the field together but I would assume that because Easley will play in sub (which was 75% of the time) and some base, he may take some of the reps VW saw in sub and they would play a fatty with him. Easley played in ~260 snaps in 11 games. Assuming 100% health and knowing the Pats had ~750 snaps in sub, Easley should see his snap count almost triple.

While they are not the same player, how Easley will be used may soften the blow.

Agreed. They still need some fattys on the line.

Wilfork played ~70% of the snaps last year. I assume those snaps played came in base and sub-packages.

Not sure how many times Easley and VW saw the field together but I would assume that because Easley will play in sub (which was 75% of the time) and some base, he may take some of the reps VW saw in sub and they would play a fatty with him. Easley played in ~260 snaps in 11 games. Assuming 100% health and knowing the Pats had ~750 snaps in sub, Easley should see his snap count almost triple.

While they are not the same player, how Easley will be used may soften the blow.

I think this is a good point. The Pats played almost 73% of the time in sub in 2014, so even if Wilfork played in 100% of the base snaps he would still have played 2/3 of his total snaps in sub.

I agree with Mike Reiss' point from his chat (which essentially echoes what Andy Johnson has been saying all season):
Paul (Watertown): Mike, Do you think Easley will play a more prominent role next year? Also, do you see a change to a 4-3?

Mike: Paul, I look at defense differently now. They're in sub so often (73.5 percent of the time in 2014), I think it's more about building the best sub defense. And that's where Easley could make more of a difference if he can realize his potential and stay healthy.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51635

Whatever the Pats do to replace VW, I think the odds are that they will continue to prioritize building the best sub defense first. That includes being able to stop the run out of sub, but I'm not sure that there is a clear recipe for how to do that.

I'm certainly not advocating drinking Kool-Aide. But the most encouraging thing to me is that BB seemed pleased with Easley's progress during the season. He commented on it at several points. In October, after Chandler Jones went out for a prolonged period with a hip injury, BB noted:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../belichick-cites-easleys-versatility-instinct

Pretty strong stuff from BB. [And, unrelated to this thread, that kind of rare versatility and explosiveness is why I'm so excited about Marcus Hardison in the draft.]

A month later, BB singled out some of Easley's work in his film breakdown of the Pats' win over the Colts:

BB also lauded Easley's work effort and film study.

BB tends to throw a lot at players, and development takes time. Dont'a Hightower took 2 years to explode, but once he put it all together the result was spectacular. Injuries and adapting to new positions/techniques aren't easy. The fact that Easley was putting the work in and apparently making progress is reasonable cause for optimism, along with his getting healthy.

All we see in games is the tip of the iceberg. The fact that BB was so openly optimistic about Easley and his progress during the season is the main reason that I'm optimistic that a healthy Easley will potentially have a major impact.

Yeah, Easley seems like a guy who was doing everything right--and this goes back to his UF days too, the coaches loved him there too--but his body just wasn't ready yet. Normally that would worry me a lot, but coming off of an ACL tear, I'm fine with a redshirt year. Definitely not what you were hoping for, but it makes the lack of rookie contributions a lot more understandable at least.

This year will be interesting. The general consensus on him before he blew out his knee at UF seemed to be that he was not quite as good as Aaron Donald, but that same type of player and on the same general tier. If that turns out to be even remotely true, then I'll be very happy with the pick. And given Belichick's track record in the first round, I'm more confident than I probably would be otherwise.

Coming off of an ACL tear, I'm fine with a redshirt year. Definitely not what you were hoping for, but it makes the lack of rookie contributions a lot more understandable at least.

FWIW, Easley played 24% of the defensive snaps in the regular season in 2014 (262/1090). In 2013 Jamie Collins played I'm 25.9% of the regular defensive snaps (297/1148).

It wasn't what we hoped for, but I don't think it was completely a "redshirt year". I think Easley got enough experience to build on for 2015.

I think this is a good point. The Pats played almost 73% of the time in sub in 2014, so even if Wilfork played in 100% of the base snaps he would still have played 2/3 of his total snaps in sub.

I agree with Mike Reiss' point from his chat (which essentially echoes what Andy Johnson has been saying all season):

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51635

Whatever the Pats do to replace VW, I think the odds are that they will continue to prioritize building the best sub defense first. That includes being able to stop the run out of sub, but I'm not sure that there is a clear recipe for how to do that.
Agree completely on building the sub.

Keep in mind with Mayo and Easley playing DE in a 4-3, their base can also be better than average. Not sure Easley is a DT/DE in a 3-4. BB may stand him up as a OLB and have him rush the passer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots