PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good brady article

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Brian Morry is or was a Patriots' Football Weekly writer. The item on Jackson is just further proof that people hyped a rookie beyond all reason and now turn on him with the same ignorant emotionalism - the kid is getting an education in the nasty side of media and fan behaviors.

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9905496

PS:Ariticle has some moderately -ve comments on chad jackson so take it for what its worth.

I've read a few articles like this on our passing game. Doesn't say anything that 99% of the fans don't know. I'd like to see someone break down the reasons for some of the struggles we've had this year. Whether that be familiarity with the system, talent or lack thereof, Brady's mechanics etc. This just seems to scratch the surface.

On Chad Jackson's perfomance the one thing that has really encouraged me in recent weeks is David Thomas' performance against the Jags ironically enough. We had heard/seen virtually nothing of Thomas for the season and yet when he was needed he was in a position to step up an contribute. Given that Jackson missed training camp and has had injuries to deal with this season I'd be very hopeful for next season. Some of the contributions he has made this year have been excellent - TDs against Buffalo and the Jets.

I would agree with a lot of people on this site that the expectations placed on him have been over the top. Unfortunately that's the nature of a lot of sports these days.

Last edited:
I've read a few articles like this on our passing game. Doesn't say anything that 99% of the fans don't know. I'd like to see someone break down the reasons for some of the struggles we've had this year. Whether that be familiarity with the system, talent or lack thereof, Brady's mechanics etc. This just seems to scratch the surface.

On Chad Jackson's perfomance the one thing that has really encouraged me in recent weeks is David Thomas' performance against the Jags ironically enough. We had heard/seen virtually nothing of Thomas for the season and yet when he was needed he was in a position to step up an contribute. Given that Jackson missed training camp and has had injuries to deal with this season I'd be very hopeful for next season. Some of the contributions he has made this year have been excellent - TDs against Buffalo and the Jets.

I would agree with a lot of people on this site that the expectations placed on him have been over the top. Unfortunately that's the nature of a lot of sports these days.

When he's been thrown too, Jackson's been more productive than any other Patriot's wide receiver. The unanswered question is why Brady isn't throwing to him: is Jackson running the wrong routes, is he not getting open, does Brady not trust him?

The whole Chad Jackson is a function of bored media.. this team does not overuse rookies, if they can contribute fine, but for the most part are complimentary. Recently Chad Jackson seems to have gotten more playing time, like him returning kicks. Seem to be trying him in the short passing game, not very successful. And he blocks well. The whole sexy wr thing is blown way out of proportion, looks pretty on TV(look at Peyton & Crew), but does not translate into winning games. I suspect he will do ok in the tournament, but next year more is expected.

When he's been thrown too, Jackson's been more productive than any other Patriot's wide receiver. The unanswered question is why Brady isn't throwing to him: is Jackson running the wrong routes, is he not getting open, does Brady not trust him?

That's onervery noticeable thing about Jackson - when he gets the ball in hand he can be very hard to take down. His catch last week against the Titans was an example of this. Think he had a similiar TD catch against the Vikes earlier in the year when he was almost on all fours getting into the endzone.

Last edited:
The whole Chad Jackson is a function of bored media.. this team does not overuse rookies, if they can contribute fine, but for the most part are complimentary. Recently Chad Jackson seems to have gotten more playing time, like him returning kicks. Seem to be trying him in the short passing game, not very successful. And he blocks well. The whole sexy wr thing is blown way out of proportion, looks pretty on TV(look at Peyton & Crew), but does not translate into winning games. I suspect he will do ok in the tournament, but next year more is expected.

I'd agree on this. Especially the first line regarding a bored media. An awful lot of lazy journalism to be found.

Last edited:
perception versus reality. Offense has struggled, yet the Pats scored more points this year then at any point under Brady except 2004.

2006 385 points
2005 379 points
2004 437 points
2003 348 points
2002 381 points
2001 371 points

It's interesting to then look at TDs
2006 46 TDs
2005 46 TDs

Brady
2006 24 TDs
2005 26 TDs

WR TDs
2006 15 TDs (Caldwell 4, Troy 4, Gabriel 3, Jackson 3, Gaffney 1)
2005 14 TDs (Branch 5, Givens 2, Brown 2, Dwight 3, Davis 1, Johnson 1)

Isn't points scored the name of the game? Just as points allowed is a measure of the defense? The perception, and I'm as guilty as everyone else, is that the offense stunk this year. The reasons I can think of for this perception are 1)harder schedule last year 2) they had bigger blowouts in some games this year then last year. Now Brady threw for a career high in yards last year but didn't we all want a better running game? The record is 2 wins better this year too. The conclusion I can come to is perhaps Brady is right to be optimistic headed into the playoffs. Maybe this team is better prepared to make a run then last years'.

Last edited:
Last year our offense was 1-dimensional, though the passing game was a lot stronger than in 2006. It didn't matter as much because opposing D's had no respect for the running game.

This year the Pats are more balanced on offense and the deficiency in the passing game is more neutralized b/c opposing D's have to respect the run.

There are other clear contrasts between 2005 and 2006 on offense. Last year the Pats were typically slow-starters on offense but was able to keep themselves in games when they absolutely had to throw the ball. In most games this year we can come out and move the ball at will, but if we can't and fall behind (see Denver, NYJ-2, Mia-2) our passing game simply cannot keep us in games.

This season our success on offense just depends on the effectiveness of the initial gameplan and the ability to score TDs early on. The Pats are 11-1 when scoring 10+ points in the first half and 1-3 when they haven't. The Pats aren't a 'comeback' team either - when they fall behind by more than 7 they have a 2-14 record the last 4 years (and those 2 comebacks were at home against the Bills FWIW). Considering we only have 15 losses the last 4 years, our offensive recipe for wins & losses is fairly clear.

For Sunday, just stick one in the end zone early and we'll be in good shape.

I think what is very interesting is that ever since Gabriel has been cut the offense has exploded. Obviously the problems all were not on Gabriel but I think it did send a very clear message to some of the new Patriots that a lack of work ethic and study will not be tolerated. A good article regardless and the comments on Jackson while not flattering were not below the belt.

That's onervery noticeable thing about Jackson - when he gets the ball in hand he can be very hard to take down. His catch last week against the Titans was an example of this. Think he had a similiar TD catch against the Vikes earlier in the year when he was almost on all fours getting into the endzone.

:rocker: Maybe I'm too conditioned to BB's smoke and mirror operation but this is why I have the feeling Chad will be an important part of the post season.

i dont think this offense is ever based on getting the ball to one particular person even when branch was here...its usually ..run the route/get open/ brady will find you...the more you get open , the more begins to trust you, not the other way round...at least in my opinion
Whenever we have seen chad jackson get the ball its been a designed play to get him the ball..i look at it as a +ve but also a little bit -ve that he is not there yet where brady/coaches want to him be where brady can read through his progressions and find that chad is open and throw him the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back