Welcome to PatsFans.com

Good article on man coverage

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsFan37, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

2. RoughingthePasser

RoughingthePasser Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cool article.
    I love defense.

The most important thing is to know where to be at ALL times.....you've got to know where your help is as well as the offense.

I liked the tip of not devoting too much attention to the backfield or QB- but it's good to know when the back lines up for a quick dish from the QB.

I think acquiring Bodden and Springs is great.
    We've already improved tremendously in our backfield and these guys can play great man coverage-not to mention the other guys we currently have on the roster.

Let's hope our defense stays healthy for the season.
  3. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

[FONT=&quot]“I don’t know why he didn’t throw it to you because you were wide open.” :rofl: Sounds like he coached Duane Starks.
    [/FONT]
  4. unoriginal

unoriginal Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -1

I don't necessarily agree with Bowen's comment about the double-move at 8 yards. Maybe that's how it is in the NFL, I've not watched closely, but the double-move I'm most familiar with is the hitch-and-go, which happens at 5-6 yards. The receiver puts his chest and ass down, and starts a stop break. From there, he can either lean forward again and release outside the corner, who should be in his roll break, or flip his outside shoulder upfield to simulate the hitch (often accompanied by flashing the hands and a pump fake), then baseball-turn outside and head up the sideline.

The quicker double-move is meant to suggest an in cut, and you can have in cuts between 5 and 15. Dig routes are often run at 10 yards. There is not a lot of difference in real time between Bowen's 8 yards and 10 yards, especially since cuts are often close approximations affected by the receiver's speed, his place on the field, whether he was on or off the line, and so forth.

I'm no coach but if I was I don't think I would teach that particular piece of advice.
  5. TomPatriot

TomPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't want to quibble because I like the article but he writes about CBs in isolation and most defenses are designed in concert.
  6. RoughingthePasser

RoughingthePasser Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with you-at times, Bowens tries to break it down a little too much.
    7 yd route, 5 yd. route, 8 yd. double-move....c'mon!

You need to keep it SIMPLE.

Bowens does have some good tips but he's a safety (not a CB) from a defense that used their CB's to pass rush more than other teams.
    Maybe that explains his ref of yardage (4,5,6,7,8 yds.)
    He did have a good point when the rec quick slants inside then does the crossover towards the sideline and S.

His advice would serve DB's (spec. Safeties) in a defense similar to what he played in (Wash).
  7. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

That's good thinking right there.
  8. tb4u

tb4u Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am going to be watching football games alot differently now. I am not going to be continually trying to guess what route that WR is going to run, based on who the player is and where he is standing.

Great article.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.