PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good article from the Denver Post re "Coach Brady"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfrom1960

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Entering the 2005 season, the New England Patriots had something of a "coaching situation." After winning a second consecutive Super Bowl and third in four years, both of the team's coordinators, offensive guru Charlie Weis and his defensive counterpart, Romeo Crennel, left for new jobs.

For the defensive position, Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn't hesitate, naming Eric Mangini the new coordinator soon after Super Bowl XXXIX. After working alongside Belichick on three staffs, the move to Mangini was perfectly natural.

But when the reigning NFL champions come to Invesco Field at Mile High for Saturday night's AFC divisional playoff game against the Broncos, there won't be an offensive coordinator calling plays from up in the coaches box or along the sideline. There hasn't been one for New England all season. Speculation as to why Belichick never bothered to name someone to the position ranges from the idea that the team has done well with input from multiple sources to the thought the coach didn't want someone to have to live up to the standards set by Weis, particularly if the Patriots' attack faltered.

However, one of the most popular theories holds that the man who runs the show for New England already has a title - quarterback.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3390138

I wonder if Brady really is the acting OC...it might be a committee, but I am sure Brady, who knows the offense better than anyone, has the most input.

Pretty remarkable he handled more responsibilty - MUCH more and had the kind of year he did.

Remarkable indeed!

Josh McDaniels is the OC. This is not a secret.

patsox23 said:
He MAY be the play caller. He's not the OC.

patsox23 said:

If he is the offensive coordinator, then in fact it has been a secret!

patsox23 said:

Yep. And, anyone who has read Halberstam's book knows why he was not given the title. Belichick has given a coordinator promotion to a young coach before and not given him the public title in the first year in order to take the spotlight off him while he gets his feet wet.

It's just amazing to me that the media still persists in wondering who is calling the plays for the Pats.

one more OBVIOUS point

One more point that should be OBVIOUS;

Look what is going on right now with Mangini. He is being actively sought by Jets w/ just 1 year as DC. How successful was our D this year? Granted we look good now and can trace our problems to injuries; but just compare that to the offense.

If BB had named an OC; with the success our O has had; would that guy not be considered AS A FRONT RUNNER for a HC position somewhere?????

This team has a lot of depth at players; but the coaching depth took a hit this last off season. BB can't afford to keep losing both his coordinators year after year.

Gumby said:
One more point that should be OBVIOUS;

Look what is going on right now with Mangini. He is being actively sought by Jets w/ just 1 year as DC. How successful was our D this year? Granted we look good now and can trace our problems to injuries; but just compare that to the offense.

If BB had named an OC; with the success our O has had; would that guy not be considered AS A FRONT RUNNER for a HC position somewhere?????

This team has a lot of depth at players; but the coaching depth took a hit this last off season. BB can't afford to keep losing both his coordinators year after year.
Even though I did in fact mention in another thread a couple of days ago that perhaps BB didn't name an OC to preclude the possibility of them being poached, I don't think it's as bad as you portray it. Mangini was already on other teams' radar before this season (he turned down a DC offer 2 years ago and two last year). And the Jets were going to go after him before most teams would, because of his history with the team and his personal connection with Tannenbaum. Assuming he turns the Jets down now, it's next season that he's probably as good as gone.

In any event, losing two coordinators in five years (one of them not even to the NFL) hardly qualifies as BB "losing both his coordinators year after year."

Even if McDaniels had been formally named OC, I doubt he would be a head coach prospect. He will turn thirty next year.

A large percentage of players in the NFL are over thirty.

A small percentage are over thirty-five.

I doubt that veteran players would be happy about having a guy younger than them as their HC. OC, maybe, but not head coach.

30 is just too young. Sorry.

Josh will do fine with older players, as long as he has finished his apprenticeship with BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back