PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good Article By Curran This Morning, comparing BB to Steve Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not. Considering hes given away tens of billions and Jobs net worth was ONLY $8.3b :D

Yep. Folks won't say that Melinda changed him but she brought out qualities in him that were his mom's.

Jobs was very charismatic - on stage. Like I said earlier. He was just a different dude.

As is Bill, who is charismatic in certain settings and is also his mother's son (she was a teacher, as was his devoted and football detail oriented dad). Those who know him best, be that on or off the field, even claim he has a wicked sense of humor and is great fun to be around when he's not focused on the job at hand... The rank and file media resent him because he doesn't believe it's his job to make their job easier, particularly when most of them are focused on poking sticks in hopes of unearthing some nugget of information that could be used against him or his team. The broadcast teams who are granted access weekly with the understanding they won't seem to have much admiration and mutual respect for him and nothing to quibble about. But then again, their job isn't to tear him or his team apart for their own gain. It's to be better able to enlighten viewers during a broadcast.

Many in Bill's business ascribe to the old adage of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer. Bill simply isn't into the bs gamesmanship that entails. He'd rather invest his energy and focus on doing his job (putting his team in position to compete and win) and let the results speak for themselves.

I couldn't say about that part. Never met her.

Me neither obviously. My assessment is based on what I've read. Very intelligent woman who was focused on helping others. Had a big hand in helping Bill land his dev deal with IBM.

She was also very involved in the United Way, hospitals, universities, etc.

I read the article, and it was worth reading, but only because of my irrational love for all thing Pats. It isn't good writing. It may be good writing for a sports writer, or for a newspaper, but it wouldn't qualify as good writing anywhere else.

Many of the comments in this post are better writing and more worth the time.

I disagree. I have heard too many players present and past state that you always know where you stand with Bill. I think those who don't simply failed to acknowledge the message. That's often ego. Bill won't blow smoke up your ass, nor will he toss you under the nearest bus. If he sits you, you got a problem. And if you don't understand that you're either delusional or stupid. I used to think he could make it easier to hang on to guys by talking them up or talking nice to them or making sure they knew the team appreciated or needed them. But I eventually realized he doesn't do that because he wants self motivated players - like the QB - who want to be here because they want to win more than they want the last buck or that smoke blowing up their ass. He hasn't got time to coddle egos. He's got more important **** to do.

Two things we know about BB is that he is VERY quick to cut bait if he realizes that a decision he made isn't working out and that he won't let any of the decision processes out in public. BAM! The guy is gone and that's that. I count that as a strength and it seems to pay off. Whatever the background story was with Randy Moss (and I was a big Randy fan) there's no doubt that the team performed better afterwards. Likewise parting with AH (less of a surprising decision).

Obviously, you have to discount stories that emerge around players whose egos may have stopped them hearing what was being said to them (Drew, Ty, Asante, Seymour?) or those where agents were involved and undoubtedly confused the signals for not super-sophisticated guys (Mankins, Branch).

So my sense that some players don't feel that BB was candid with them or prepared them for what he was about to do is mostly based on a few players who were, so far as one can tell, good guys. And, being good soldiers, they haven't made a public scene. James Sanders would be one example -- he was clearly VERY surprised to be let go. Leigh Bodden, Butler and Ty Warren are others.

What you say about not coddling players makes sense too. Still, not everything that involves communicating your support for players is "coddling" them.

There was a good example last week after Ridley's fumble. The young guy was obviously really upset -- and rightly. Ball security is number one for Patriots' running backs and his chance of reps just plummeted (as it should). That's the way things work around here. When Ridley got back to the bench I noticed Ivan Fears talking to him with his arm around him. Sure, he needs to improve if he's going to be trusted with the ball, but he knows that and there's no point in destroying a player's confidence just when he's failed.

I couldn't see BB doing that. But that's OK -- so long as there are others around who'll play that role. Clearly, RAC was a father-figure when he was around. So is Mr Kraft. It's what Ivan Fears was doing. It's evidently important, IMHO.

Here's a few questions that should never be asked again at a BB presser. Please feel free to add to the list.

1. Why did player X play or not play at a certain position
2. Why was player X acquired or waived
3. What's the status of player X's injury
4. What schemes (in general terms) will be utilized against against a opponent X.

Yeah the Press are like the dog that chases the garbage truck; they never learn.

If I interviewed him I would never ask a question that had any bearing on an upcoming game or current player. It would be more like history questions "So Harry Carson once said that when he was standing on the sidelines he hoped that the offense would turn it over so that he could get on the field and hit someone...."

as always breer says

"You're biased. I'm not." Spoken like a true megalomanic.

Are we sure Breer doesn't troll this forum?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back