PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good analogies for Spygate in retrospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
A lot of Patsfans have been doing a pretty good job attempting to educate members of the media about what the actual rules of the NFL are when it comes to stealing signals and videotaping signals (or anything else).

Slowly but surely I think more ignorant fans and reporters are finally taking a look at the NFL rules they've been claiming to be experts on for the last several months.

There's certain facts that can't be denied.

1.) Stealing signals is legal in the NFL

2.) Videotaping signals or anything else is also legal in the NFL, as long as it is done in the locations that comply with the NFL rules.

So while there is no question that Belichick authorized the taping of signals in a prohibited location, all he did was do something that is allowed in certain parts of NFL stadiums, but not allowed in others.

To me, "Jaywalking" is the perfect analogy.

1.) Walking is legal.

2.) Crossing the street is legal, as long as it is done in the locations that comply with pedestrian traffic rules (i.e. crosswalks and intersections).

But crossing the street at an unauthorized location is NOT legal. It's known as Jaywalking and as silly as it is, doing so will result in a ticket.

The differerence here is that the local NFL authorities decided to give the Patriots a very hefty fine to make sure that no one else engages in Jaywalking.

Anyone else have any good analogies that will help people understand what we're really talking about here?

Jaywalkinggate

Honestly, I love it because there isn't much else that sums up the 'severity' (used loosely) of the situation more accurately.

A lot of Patsfans have been doing a pretty good job attempting to educate members of the media about what the actual rules of the NFL are when it comes to stealing signals and videotaping signals (or anything else).

Slowly but surely I think more ignorant fans and reporters are finally taking a look at the NFL rules they've been claiming to be experts on for the last several months.

There's certain facts that can't be denied.

1.) Stealing signals is legal in the NFL

2.) Videotaping signals or anything else is also legal in the NFL, as long as it is done in the locations that comply with the NFL rules.

So while there is no question that Belichick authorized the taping of signals in a prohibited location, all he did was do something that is allowed in certain parts of NFL stadiums, but not allowed in others.

To me, "Jaywalking" is the perfect analogy.

1.) Walking is legal.

2.) Crossing the street is legal, as long as it is done in the locations that comply with pedestrian traffic rules (i.e. crosswalks and intersections).

But crossing the street at an unauthorized location is NOT legal. It's known as Jaywalking and as silly as it is, doing so will result in a ticket.

The differerence here is that the local NFL authorities decided to give the Patriots a very hefty fine to make sure that no one else engages in Jaywalking.

Anyone else have any good analogies that will help people understand what we're really talking about here?

Didn't Goodell actually say the words "Sign stealing is legal" today, at least twice? I am pretty sure I heard that, but I can't find a transcript of his conference.

Getting penalized the equivalent of a DUI for speeding, is what I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes