PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gonzalez and Johnson for Cassel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another discussion board, a poster said--with unusual and even suspicious certainty--that we would trade Cassel to Kansas City for two players.

As it happens, two KC players are restless.

Gonzalez, 32, is saying he wants to go to a contender. We are looking to improve at tight end....hmmmm, interesting. 98 receptions last year, for 1058 yards.

Larry Johnson, 29, is also unhappy in KC, and we might easily find him a useful addition to the team. Last year, he ran for 845 yards, averaging 4.5 yards per carry. The Patriots might have a place for someone like that, especially given the universal fragility of our running backs.

And we could always sweeten our end of the deal with Thomas/Watson, and/or one of our running backs....and KC could toss in, say, a 2nd round draft pick....

What does Patriots' nation think of the possibility...?

Sorry, I would never ever make that trade. Johnson is an overused powerback who has been breaking down a lot in recent years. Odds are he is going to be cut outright. Gonzalez is getting up there in age and probably won't command more than a 2nd or 3rd on the open market.

I would pass on a trade like that. Two older players where one of them may be damaged goods doesn't appeal me for Cassel.

Besides, Johnson would never get along with Belichick. He didn't like Vermeil because he felt a white coach had no right to tell him how to lead his life. How is he going to feel about Belichick?

Last edited:
not enough. Throw in their first rounder for our 3rd rounder and I think that would work.

Turn around a make that first rounder into a mid-late first rounder and a second rounder.

We don't need help on offense.

I would take 2 picks or 2 good defensive players for Cassel

If the draft pick value of Cassel is what people like Lombardi are saying it is (top 15) we are talking about is a Jerod Mayo level player plus another pick in the top few rounds.

Is there anyone who would trade another Mayo and a 3rd for LJ and Gonzalez?

Last edited:
I surrender. I didn't know enough about Johnson. I just looked at his statistics, and Gonzalez's, and figured they could be helpful, if only for a couple of seasons. Maybe I'm feeling a bit insecure about TE and RB this coming year.

Gonzalez would be a nice addition, although they would still have to give us some picks - he's older and makes a hefty salary. He's still a good player and generally an upstanding locker room guy as far as I can tell.

They would have to pay us to take Larry Johnson off their hands- he's old for a running back, has a huge attitude problem, and makes far too much money for his production. They're better off just cutting him.

I would absolutely love to have those two in our offense. But like most others, I believe the Pats need to use their resources to strengthen the defense. Offense is not a problem.

Pass rushing outside linebacker with one first rounder, dominant DB with the other first rounder were going to get for cassel. The D is gonna be good.

The Redskins might entertain that trade. Not the Pats. You don't take a RB with worn tread staring down 30 and a TE whos best years are behind him (even if he is a HoF TE).

How many threads are going to be created with the names Gonzalez, Johnson and Cassel? :deadhorse:

It would be a stupid trade, so please stop asking!

Last edited:
A horrible, HORRIBLE trade for the Patriots. Give me a break. YUCK.

Maybe the fantasy players would go for that deal, but not me.

This would actually be a horrible trade in Fantasy Football too. Just saying...

Now, I'd trade any one of our TE's for Gonzalez in a heartbeat.
Straight up deal.

I love Gonzalez hes just one of the best but he doesn't have a lot of tread left on the tires same with Johnson who is an overrated, too pricey, non team player. So my answer is NO! :)

what about if we got gonzalez johnson and 2nd and gave them cassel n morris? i don't know their salaries tho. but that would leave us with upgrade at both tight end and runningback (no one can argue that they are upgrades eve if ou don't like the trade). and we still get anoher early pick to help rebuild the D. i think itd be a hard trade to pull off tho i think it is pretty lopsided in favour of us

WTF.. Two old players for 1 Young QB in a QB starved and DRIVEN LEAGUE??? Seriously stop the insanity!

On another discussion board, a poster said--with unusual and even suspicious certainty--that we would trade Cassel to Kansas City for two players.

As it happens, two KC players are restless.

Gonzalez, 32, is saying he wants to go to a contender. We are looking to improve at tight end....hmmmm, interesting. 98 receptions last year, for 1058 yards.

Larry Johnson, 29, is also unhappy in KC, and we might easily find him a useful addition to the team. Last year, he ran for 845 yards, averaging 4.5 yards per carry. The Patriots might have a place for someone like that, especially given the universal fragility of our running backs.

And we could always sweeten our end of the deal with Thomas/Watson, and/or one of our running backs....and KC could toss in, say, a 2nd round draft pick....

What does Patriots' nation think of the possibility...?

Posted that a few days ago but it is the way I think as well.

I added Maroney and Thomas and then I got all the defensive fans their draft picks by getting the K.C. #3 pick in the first for our #23 and their second round pick at #35. After all, Pioli drafted these kids so he can build a core.

Now lets play this out further for FUN!!!(fun I said). Take that #3 pick and our third rounder(we have two for the Assante Comp) and swap them to a team who does not have a first rounder but has a stud OLB/DE who wants to play in a winning 3-4 defense, Julius Peppers. That is slightly better than what the Chiefs got for Allen. Can we do better than Julius Peppers in the draft for a defensive add?

So in Summary: Cassel, Maroney and Thomas plus our first rounder #23 and our own third round pick gets us Gonzales, Peppers, and LJ (we can even get a pick for him from like N.O. if he is a pain) and we also get the #35 pick in the draft. So day one we pick up these players AND still have three first day picks.

Gonzales would be a tremendous asset I do not care what the Hitler Youth say (check out the Patsfans.com archives for comments that they made about Moss. I bet the same names show up). His over the hill a tired performance of 96 catches works for me. Peppers would be a gift to get (we all wanted Suggs or Danby here and they would cost us the same money). LJ? He is the Cracker Jacks prize. He could be cool like a ring or just one of those little tiny cardboard pictures of the Jacks kid and his dog that were all sticky so we threw it out.
And all of those wanting defense, we get three picks still on day one too.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back