Welcome to PatsFans.com

GomezCat ... Living High On The Hog Across the Pond LOL!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 5, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +481 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

So Mr. & Mrs. Cat are on a higher pedastal than us commoners in the forum? :eek:

This article says it is so ... what say you Mr. Cat?

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

Hah! Now we get to say to them stuff like "if you could tear yourself away from your overly full larder, your rolls royce, and your 12 swimming pools, you might be able to see that in SOME countries, people have to WORK for a living..."
  3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +481 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

:rofl: ... yeah ... that larder thing. :rofl:
  4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

They might be able to get better and more luxurious food, however, they can not chew it!!!!!
  5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

Hey I am not going to be embarassed about using the word "larder" by a guy with that avatar.
  6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

Anyway. I don't see GomezCat and MikeTheBrit rebuilding US on a bloody Marshall Plan. I'm on the Marshall's Plan myself, which means going to Marshall's and buying the leftovers that wouldn't sell at Hecht's. But I digress. I demand several tons of powdered beer be sent over to alleviate our suffering.

PFnV
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +481 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

They "GUM" it ... so they
    are deficient in making

[​IMG]
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

when the state of affairs for the average American grows more and more undeniable, always punt to some negative stereotype of the country that's officially better off... in this case, the suggestion that Brits still all have bad teeth...

bravo... no one saw that coming...
  9. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's BS. The only reason we appear to be better off is the exchange rate. Once I have paid my income tax, health insurance, pension rent, transport costs, local taxes and energy bills, I am left with about £700 per month- and I am on £25000 per year, which is a little above the average wage in this country. Bear in mind that I pay in pounds what you pay in dollars for pretty much everything. That said, I do fine, but it is not the life of luxury.
  10. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

you pay for health insurance, but wait I thought it was all FREE!!

(of course, I know better, but I thought I would highlight that for the Hillary backers)

Do you know what percentage of your income you pay in taxes? For instance the I'm in the 29% bracket here, of course that doens't count sales tax, property tax, excise tax, and whatever else tax they can think of.
  11. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My income tax is somewhere in the region of 23% on everything over £3400 or so.
    Sales tax is 17.5% on most things. I pay 11% National Insurance (which pays towards the National Health pot and the other bit pays for my pension). Bear in mind that health is free at the point of delivery; no one is refused treatment because they can't pay, or stung for a massive bill later. We also pay property tax of £50 per month each, which pays for local services.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Bingo Gomez. For example, what's a litre of gas cost over there now? Here, 3.7 of them (our gallon) costs $3.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

So if I am reading you right, it breaks down like this:

23% income over $3,400 + 11% tax for health insurance = 34%

Is that correct or am I understanding it incorrectly? BTW, 17.5% sales tax! :eek:
  14. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Fred Thompson woke up for a couple minutes during the Fox debate to make a great point, he said that Huckabee's fair tax wasn't such a bad idea, but that we would essentially need a constitutional ammendment to make sure that down the road we didn't just get income taxes back to go along with the consumption tax. Its a great point, I hadn't thought of what an easy way that would be for libs to further increase our tax burden down the road.

Speaking of which, any proponents of a consumption tax here? I'm interested in the theory behind it, for example, wouldn't it cripple manufacturing companies by taxing the raw materials they need, and wouldn't it discourage discretionary spending, say buying luxury items and the like, since now they'd have a 20% tax on them? Wouldn't it lead to more people saving their money rather than reinvesting it in the economy? I know that isn't the main point of this thread, but I can't seem to wrap my head around why it would be a good idea, and I'm interested to hear from those that like it.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

The idea is that it would spur spending and investment. Think about making $1,000 a week, and actually collecting that $1,000, and not $600 & change. Think about investing $5,000k in a stock, getting a 20% return, and keeping $1,000, with no capital gains to report. A CD with a 5% return would mean a 5% return. You'd only be taxed on what you spend. It's an interesting concept. As for employers, I'm not sure how that would work, or if it would apply to them. I guess they'd save the matching med & SS tax they pay, and whatever tax they pay on profit. Again, I'm not sure how that would work with business'.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

What a dud this guy is. I say that because he tends to make great points when he's not sleeping, and has very appealling positions on immigration, entitlements, taxation, and state's rights. If this guy entered the race when he was hot, and did so with some thunder, he'd be the nominee hands down. What a wasted opportunity.
  17. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I really like his policy positions, but he's got no shot since he just doesn't seem real excited about running. I had high hopes when there was talk of him entering the race, now he's an afterthought.
  18. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

He'd lose to Sam Waterston in the primaries. Wait is Waterston running?
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What ARE his policy positions?:confused: :rolleyes:
    No....seriously.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  20. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

Waterston or Thompson?