PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Golic Supporting Pats Decision on ESPN Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPatsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
On Mike & MIKE radio show. Greenberg and Schlereth are lamenting the loss. Brady will be second guessing his lower-than-market contract to allow the Pats to keep their team at the top because they aren't spending the money.

Golic said that while the Twig may have been the best receiver on the team, he's not in the top 5 (or even 10). Thus not worth paying the money he wanted. The other two clowns are whining about the effect in the locker room, it will be the end of the Pats.

Golic just kept saying that how can you argue with the system that has gotten 3 SB rings. If there was a player that they should have ponied up the money to, it was Vinatraitor.

He was surprised that Brady came out with his comments about the situation effecting his play last week.

Golic can be a doofus sometimes but at least he's been on the field and in the locker room and has experience with this subject.

CTPatsFan said:
On Mike & MIKE radio show. Greenberg and Schlereth are lamenting the loss. Brady will be second guessing his lower-than-market contract to allow the Pats to keep their team at the top because they aren't spending the money.

Golic said that while the Twig may have been the best receiver on the team, he's not in the top 5 (or even 10). Thus not worth paying the money he wanted. The other two clowns are whining about the effect in the locker room, it will be the end of the Pats.

Golic just kept saying that how can you argue with the system that has gotten 3 SB rings. If there was a player that they should have ponied up the money to, it was Vinatraitor.

He was surprised that Brady came out with his comments about the situation effecting his play last week.

Golic can be a doofus sometimes but at least he's been on the field and in the locker room and has experience with this subject.

I heard Greenberg say yesterday that the loss of Dieon Branch signalled the end of the Patriot Dynasty. Although the team may not be as good this year without Dieon, how scary is it the the Pats will have 2 #1s, and a couple of # 3s (comp picks) next year. In proclaiming an end to the Dynasty, Greenberg failed to consider:
1. The talent in youth in our D-line
2. The youth and depth of our O-line
3. The drafting of a franchise RB in Maroney
4. The potential of WR Chad Jackson

What kills dynasties is age and overpaying players based on their past performance. That is why Milloy, Willie, and AV are gone.

Listen, I loved Branch but no way was he a top ten receiver in the NFL and all these "experts" saying NE should have caved and paid him the money are idiots. As much as I liked him he wasn't TO for cripes sakes. Plus, NE may have taken the short term hit on receivers but I'll say it again TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS IN THE 2007 DRAFT that is supposed to be laden with great WR talent. And remember if Jackson ever recovers from his hammy he's supposed to be one of the best of the young talent WR from last year and he can contribute to help the problem. I think the Patriots basically hoodwinked the Seahawks.:p

Last edited:
CTPatsFan said:
Golic just kept saying that how can you argue with the system that has gotten 3 SB rings. .

I believe his expression was that "Belichick has built up the equity" to deserve the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. You'd almost think that he read this site and the boards here........
He also mentioned how that the Pats allocate a certain amount of resources to each postiion and that if a player's self-estimation is greater than the team's FO estimation, they let him go.... (Holley covered this in Patriots Reign) He mentioned that it prevents them from getting into cap trouble and it's a long term view.

Pattie said:
Listen, I loved Branch but no way was he a top ten receiver in the NFL and all these "experts" saying NE should have caved and paid him the money are idiots. As much as I liked him he wasn't TO for cripes sakes. Plus, NE may have taken the short term hit on receivers but I'll say it again TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS IN THE 2007 DRAFT that is supposed to be laden with great WR talent. And remember if Jackson ever recovers from his hammy he's supposed to be one of the best of the young talent WR from last year and he can contribute to help the problem. I think the Patriots basically hoodwinked the Seahawks.:p

I agree completely!

Isn't Greenberg a die-hard Jets fan anyway? I heard that he admires the Patriots but can't get over the fact that BB resigned as "HC of the NYJ". Just another dumb commentator, but where do they all come from?

Most rational posters here, and even most rational media members, understood all this a month ago. This is just the typical knee jerk over reaction to something that just happened. If ths team takes care of business this week and next all the handwringing will cease. And unless they snuck a rule into the new CBA that says if you lose your #1 WR because you aren't willing to overpay him you can not replace him, we will be fine. And even if at the end of the day it costs us this season, well then we just polish up the 3 Lombardi's we've already won under this philosophy and system and get back at it in 2007. With Belioli having selected 3 more players before the 65th pick of next years draft, and perhaps having spent the $39M some think they should have spent on a nice WR on an elite player at another position be it a veteran FA or a player we trade for.

Ichiro said:
Isn't Greenberg a die-hard Jets fan anyway? I heard that he admires the Patriots but can't get over the fact that BB resigned as "HC of the NYJ". Just another dumb commentator, but where do they all come from?
He is and I had to turn it off this morning. Greenberg has a bizarro Red Sox/Yankees thing going on where he obsesses about the Pats but he's a Jets fan. Nothing would make him happier than to see the Pats lose to the Jests this weekend.

Ichiro said:

Ya he is. I turned on M&M this morning to see the interview with Mangini and the ballwashing that took place from Greenberg was just insane. Golic can usually be open minded.

Which Greenberg are we talking about here? Is it Alan Greenberg of the Hartford Courant(who is trying to retool himself as a loud mouthed sensationalist to cater to talk radio) or ESPN's Hank Greenberg(who is useless discussing any sport that doesn't involve four-legged animals).

Weishuhn said:
Which Greenberg are we talking about here? Is it Alan Greenberg of the Hartford Courant(who is trying to retool himself as a loud mouthed sensationalist to cater to talk radio) or ESPN's Hank Greenberg(who is useless discussing any sport that doesn't involve four-legged animals).

Neither. It is Mike Greenberg the Jet fan who hosts the show with Golic.

We are talking about Mike Greenberg, who as far as I know has never played any sport professionally and is just a fan/radio personality. And a HUGE Jets fan, so of course he wishes it would be the end of the Pats. I heard that yesterday too, and almost posted it here, but in the end didn't feel it was worth the time it took to type. Oh, Mike Greenberg thinks we're over, let's throw in the towel. Golic disagreed, so that was good, too.

It's going to be a long season for me if I continue to listen to people who p*ss me off. That's why I have learned to change the channel.

I usually consider Greenberg and Golic to be ok, but today Greenberg was annoying.

In the middle Of Golic talking about how the team has 3 rings as proof that their roster moves work, Greenberg kept interrupting and chiming in about how a lot of the players who have the rings are gone..........

First off he is wrong, of course some are gone but i would not say "a lot".
and second, it was incredibly annoying. It sounded like a little kid interupting his dad at the dinner table getting in little pointless comments.

I think its funny that over the past four years, not once have I heard any sports reporter point to Deion Branch as the most important player on the team. In fact ,I've hardly heard him talked about at all before this off-season. But now every "expert" out there is singing his praises - didn't you know he was the second coming of Jerry Rice? Don't worry, that one slipped most of us by. If the FO had been given time, his loss would have been adressed in the off season, but deion decided to leave us high and dry for week one. The FO made the only decision they could make. Good riddance.

Simple question to the doomsayers...has ANY team the Patriots have played since '02' shaken in their boots at the thought of trying to cover Branch? Was he worthy of concern? Sure. Was he THE player to obsess over? Not hardly. I do think teams will be worried about having to cover a healthy Chad Jackson though.

Bottom line: no matter what 'was', what 'is', is Seattle's newest receiver is now the enemy. He's on the other guys payroll getting paid to beat the Patriots just like all the rest. He'll do his damndest to do just that! The sooner his old 'buddies' accept this fact and move on like he did the better off and better prepared to face the Jets this weekend they'll be.

Greeny is a weeny...

Golic can be a dim wit, but on this case...he is correct.

CTPatsFan said:

Okay, now we listen to an idiot ex-lock when he says what we like. Tonight, when Michael Irvin says the exact opposite, they'll be a post about how just because he played the game doesn't mean he knows anything about football. I love it.

The last time I listened to Mike and Mike for more than my fifteen minute commute to work was when I heard Greenberg say, "Look, I'm an unabashed Jets fan. I cannot stand the Patriots. I do not look at them logically. I respect what they have earned, albeit much through luck, but I hate them. I decline to talk about them as much as possible to keep myself out of trouble."

This was sometime last year near the Colts game.

I hate to side with Ronny Boy, but why does the fact that Golic played in the NFL help his opinion be any more educated than one of the guys he is disagreeing with, Schlereth. As I recall, he also donned a helmet once or twice.

In all likelihood, Golic was just predetermined to be the pro-Pats guy.

Regardless, I am supremely confident that the story later in the season is going to be about NE's surprising return to dominance.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Okay, now we listen to an idiot ex-lock when he says what we like. Tonight, when Michael Irvin says the exact opposite, they'll be a post about how just because he played the game doesn't mean he knows anything about football. I love it.

You've got to admit Ron, smoking that much crack has to cause brain damage.

Deciding credibility factor right there.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill