PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going to the Game? Tips on Staying Warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRazor

Banned
Reaction score
Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System or ECWCS

The Extended Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWCS; pronounced "EK-wax") is a protective clothing system developed in the 1980s by the United States Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center, Natick, Massachusetts.

Half the philosophy behind the system is dressing in layers, the other half of the millitary trick to evading extreme tempertures is in the fabric you choose.

Your Base layer

Polypropylene:

Polypropylene or polypropene (PP) is a thermoplastic polymer, made by the chemical industry and used in a wide variety of applications, including packaging, ropes, textiles, stationery, plastic parts and reusable containers of various types, laboratory equipment, loudspeakers, automotive components, and polymer banknotes. Additionally it is used commonly in New Zealand and by the US Military as thermal underwear.

ECWCS Polypropylene clothing had the lowest thermal conductivity (the rate at which heat flows through a material) than any other traditional material.

* Does not absorb moisture, stays dry
* Unique vapor transfer ability, wicks away all moisture from your skin
* Outstanding warmth to weight ratio

The millitary also uses gortex outerwear, which can get very expensive, but if your going to wear thermals to the game, these are the ones to wear, they can protect you up to -60 degrees, you can buy the pants, shirt, glove and mitten shells, socks, and balaclava (ski mask), at a relatively affordable price. I just picked up the thermal pants, and socks (polypropylene/wool blend), for under $40.

thermal-underwear.jpg

RCO-5510_d.jpg

G.I. Joe's Army-Navy Store
847 E. Washington St. (not to far from the stadium)
N.Attleboro, MA 02760
508-699-1200

Other tips:

Mittens instead of gloves, your fingers together transfer heat.
Wool socks instead of cotton, or at least a combination.
Pocket warmers work excellent in mittens
In addition to hats, scarfs, and or ski masks, hoods are essential.

HOT2.jpg

And for the high tech fans, Sports Authority sells two different types of heated socks.

BHS1.jpg

For everyone that will be there Sunday, stay warm, and enjoy yourself.

I KNOW I will.

Also to all Chargers fans traveling in for the game and staying in Boston, do yourself a favor and get the train to Gillette at Back Bay. South Station is usually very crowded.

:singing:

I wonder if they are going to let people bring in sleeping bags. They may need body bags for the Chargers after the game is over.

Also to all Chargers fans traveling in for the game and staying in Boston, do yourself a favor and get the train to Gillette at Back Bay. South Station is usually very crowded.

:singing:

And don't forget, it'll be the NORTHBOUND train. Any signs stating otherwise are incorrect and have been ordered to be changed by the DOT.

I bought -40 degree socks, new boots and toe warmers this afternoon as well as a 5 pack of handwarmers for inside my gloves.

I'm good to go now.

Dude from San Diego:

"What's a South Station?"

"What's a Back Bay?"

"What's a train"?

theres a minimum of ten characters per post. since "you bad." isn't enough. he just adds ten char

I've seen this alot on here. What's it mean? :confused:

It means you need at least 10 characters in a message to post on this messageboard.

My little tip for keeping warm: Forget those flimsy disposable handwarmers and invest in a Coghlan's solid fuel pocket handwarmer (about $8). They work great and last much longer. It has a metal case with a cloth cover and fiberglass-lined compartment inside. You buy these specially made fuel sticks that you light with a lighter and put inside the case. The thing stays really warm for hours, and you can use it over and over -- just buy the sticks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the 10 char guys. :)

And don't forget, it'll be the NORTHBOUND train. Any signs stating otherwise are incorrect and have been ordered to be changed by the DOT.

Except, there aren't northbound trains running from South Station.

To take the special northbound train to Foxboro you speak of, you have to go to North Station. Common mistake.

For all Charger fans, don't read into these posts about it being cold. You'll be fine in a sweatshirt and maybe a windbreaker.

For all Charger fans, don't read into these posts about it being cold. You'll be fine in a sweatshirt and maybe a windbreaker.

In fact, the rain you had for the Tenn game was worse than this game is going to be. I'd go in shorts if I were you.

SD fans should bring some SPF 30 and some bronzer.

I wonder if they are going to let people bring in sleeping bags. They may need body bags for the Chargers after the game is over.
They usually allow blankets.

One of the best ways to stay warm is to make some noise. That and staying in your seats (the body heat of everyone around you) makes a big difference. If you have layers and don't leave much skin exposed you'll be fine. Some people do swear by the chemical warmers but I've never found them that effective.

SD fans should bring some SPF 30 and some bronzer.

SD fans don't even go to home playoff games if the temp drops below 60, what the heck makes you think they will travel to NE when it is zero.

SD fans don't even go to home playoff games if the temp drops below 60, what the heck makes you think they will travel to NE when it is zero.

If they do, it will be hard to spot them because I don't think they make cold-weather Chargers gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back