PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going to sound crazy !

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the few times I'll agree with Borgass...they flew 3000 miles after playing 5 quarters with the Ravens....any won on the road is great and this makes two in a row for our upstart D...it can only get better:rocker::rocker::rocker:

I enjoyed the toughness up until it was about 23-6. It wasn't pretty but the Chargers are pretty good so it was not unexpected, given the draining game we played last week.

However, I did not enjoy one iota of that comeback....from the D letting up and going soft and the onside kick to the fourth down disaster. I was relieved to see the kick miss, but I can't say I enjoyed it per se.

I know that games in San Diego are always weird. And you could say we had no business winning, but looking at the turnovers and mental idiocy of SD, did THEY have any business winning either? Not really.

I agree with both points of view. The game did make me feel find of "off". Like we won, but... what I realize is what bothered me were the soft-zone D at the end (I understand the reasoning, of course), and the lack of ability to capitalize on those turn-overs.

But when assessing how tough that schedule and turn-around is, I get it. I love the win and can't wait to watch the NFLN version with sidelines and locker-room stuff.

This was a really great win and I think if you have the ST's ready for that onside kick, this is a ten point win, maybe more.

I think the fact that they couldn't capitalize on the turnovers and allowed the Chargers to hang around is what is upsetting people.

I also think people believe this offense can still blow anyone out but this offense is still gelling with the new additions/expanded roles on offense (Gronk, Hernandez, Woodhead, Branch, Connolly, Tate) and will take time to get it "together."

They way I look at it... this was a great win! A lot of rooks and 2nd year players on this team had the ability to pounce on the mistakes of the other team (like the SB years), on the road, in a hostile environment, against a very talented team, and was still able to eek out a win.

I love this team and look forward to it's continued improvement both on offense and defense. If they can improve on a weekly basis and continue to play smart ball and capitalize on the opponents mistakes the Pats can make it back to the SB!

The only thing that's crazy to me is that the Patriots are beating top teams in close games sometimes on the road -- with SO MANY YOUNG PLAYERS in key roles. That's crazy.

IMHO, Uncle Rico CONSISTENTLY writes the BINGO POSTS.

i liked the ravens win more

but i like ANY win more than a loss

Here's the way I look at this.

1) We were not favored to win this away game.

2) Although there was some poor play which makes this win taste a little sour, the game did have its bright moments for us:

McCourty's INT
Edelmann's kick return (I wish we'd see more of him)
Another Gronking for a first down, hauling 2-3 defenders with him, followed by his TD
not to mention getting to watch Ninkovich lumbering downfield next to Wilfork, hahaha
Hernandez made some nice catches
Although the snapping was bad, watching Mesko make up for it was pretty brilliant imho
I'm sure there were others.

Last edited:
Fletcher's FF.

Here's the way I look at this.

1) We were not favored to win this away game.

2) Although there was some poor play which makes this win taste a little sour, the game did have its bright moments for us:

McCourty's INT
Edelmann's kick return (I wish we'd see more of him)
Another Gronking for a first down, hauling 2-3 defenders with him, followed by his TD
not to mention getting to watch Ninkovich lumbering downfield next to Wilfork, hahaha
Hernandez made some nice catches
Although the snapping was bad, watching Mesko make up for it was pretty brilliant imho
I'm sure there were others.

Just wanted to know if anyone felt the same,,,,just didn't enjoy that win. I know it sounds crazy but that's exactly how I felt. Was it because we didn't take advantage of those turnovers in the first half ? Or was it that I knew it would come back later in the game and hurt us that we didn't finish them off in the first half. The Patriots can lose and I still can say what a great game that was,,,,but yesterday it just didn't reach the level of last week's game. Great defense but rest average. Some weird play calls on Offense ! Still I predicted a 10-6 season and that is on track and playoffs guaranteed with that . Tommy on tv looked really frustrated and not comfortable at all thanks to Light . I know we beat a really good team and shouldn't be saying this but I didn't enjoy it. Call me stupid, crazy but really would appreciate if any friend felt the same. Many thanks and take care. Abdul

I hear you, Abdul, and agree on so many levels there.

One thing to remember, however, is what Uncle Rico wrote - - we have NFL babies playing in key roles for this team. Heck, Hernandez is only 20 years old!

These kids, as they slowly get experienced, are going to make us want to tear our hair out - - it is what it is.

Deaderick, Mesko, Hernandez, McCourty, Sergio Brown, Gronkowski, Tate, Edelman, Chung, Arrington, Ingram, Spikes, Cunningham, Vollmer, Wendell, Connolly, Fletcher are all either rookies or second year players who played major roles at their positions in this game.

Then we have Crable. Woodhead and BJGE - -who are more than rookies, but barely that.

In my view this team is playing far above its head right now.

... One thing to remember, however, is what Uncle Rico wrote - - we have NFL babies playing in key roles for this team. Heck, Hernandez is only 20 years old!

These kids, as they slowly get experienced, are going to make us want to tear our hair out - - it is what it is.

Deaderick, Mesko, Hernandez, McCourty, Sergio Brown, Gronkowski, Tate, Edelman, Chung, Arrington, Ingram, Spikes, Cunningham, Vollmer, Wendell, Connolly, Fletcher are all either rookies or second year players who played major roles at their positions in this game.

Then we have Crable. Woodhead and BJGE - -who are more than rookies, but barely that.

In my view this team is playing far above its head right now.

And yet how many Coach of the Year votes will BB get? Zip. I guess folks just assume it's what he does.

(Also, thanks for the good words, Shmessy. I appreciate it after getting kicked off the game thread v Ravens when I paraphrased a famous Rex quote re: Woodhead; :( I even used an abbreviation and an asterisk! And let's say I've seen worse before and since. Oh well.)

Outplaying the Chargers for 85% of the game was what I saw....

Wondering if the coaching hurt Pats in the last half of the 4th qtr. Playing prevent instead of pressuring Rivers. Guyton was chasing players after the catch...need that position addressed somehow.

Chung going out hurt the D...Brown filled in nicely and hope he stays on the 53. Good ST'er also.

I'm guessing the OP is one of our new fans. Any longtime fan knows how difficult it is to beat the chargers in San Diego. It's always either a nailbiter win or a blowout loss. I have learned to relish the former.

I can whine over poor production and stupidity with the best of them. HOWEVER, Bill and Bill have taught us that a WIN is a WIN.

We have played three games against teams that might have beaten us on a different day, or even on the same day: BALT, MIA and SD. Two were on the road where Brady hadn't won a significant game since 2006.

I don't delud myself too much. I didn't see a 14-2 team out there yeserday, but I am certainly happy with the win.

Just wanted to know if anyone felt the same,,,,just didn't enjoy that win. I know it sounds crazy but that's exactly how I felt. Was it because we didn't take advantage of those turnovers in the first half ? Or was it that I knew it would come back later in the game and hurt us that we didn't finish them off in the first half. The Patriots can lose and I still can say what a great game that was,,,,but yesterday it just didn't reach the level of last week's game. Great defense but rest average. Some weird play calls on Offense ! Still I predicted a 10-6 season and that is on track and playoffs guaranteed with that . Tommy on tv looked really frustrated and not comfortable at all thanks to Light . I know we beat a really good team and shouldn't be saying this but I didn't enjoy it. Call me stupid, crazy but really would appreciate if any friend felt the same. Many thanks and take care. Abdul

...Brown filled in nicely and hope he stays on the 53. Good ST'er also.

Doesn't he pretty much have to? I'd imagine someone would grab him if they tried to put him on the practice squad. Or do I not understand that rule right?

I'm guessing the OP is one of our new fans. Any longtime fan knows how difficult it is to beat the chargers in San Diego. It's always either a nailbiter win or a blowout loss. I have learned to relish the former.

He isn't.

Abdul knows his stuff, has been here a long time and is a pretty good judge of football.

The fact that he follows the team fanatically from Bahrain and has previously met Bob Kraft makes him more than just OK in my book! ;)

During the game, I felt alot of the same feelings he wrote. I just had to keep reminding myself of exactly what personnel we have and their inexperience - - that's something that will improve over time.

?????

Yes, Brown can be snapped up by another team, as has been the case since the day we waived him in the first place.

Doesn't he pretty much have to? I'd imagine someone would grab him if they tried to put him on the practice squad. Or do I not understand that rule right?

It does sound crazy, they played a team that is actually better then any of the teams they've played thus far but can't help shooting themselves in the foot at EVERY opportunity. The Chargers defense was the fastest I've seen all year !

No it is not CRAZY! We have come to expect a certain level of play from the Patriots and especially offensivly..

However I would point out that @ SD is always a challanage for us and TB! And I personally feel good about getting a win on a day we didnt play so good.

The two BIG plays that frustrated me the most was;

1. Going for it on 4th and 1

did that feel earily familiar or what?? Last year I supported BB decision going for it and still do. Manning had been driving down the field on us and personally.. I still think Faulk made the 1st down! But a game like today where defense play pretty well and SD was making a TON of mistakes I say Punt!!

You've got it totally wrong. Statistics clearly show that going for it wins a lot more than punting. The fact the BJGE chose not to cut it back inside where these was a huge hole - he could have easily run uncontested to the first down and probably picked up 4-5 more yards - shouldn't change your mind.

2. Allowing an onside kick when you KNOW ITS COMING!

The odds are so slim of executing an onside kick especially one that you should be expecting?? Its totally a situational play, the kind of play a BB coached team is supposed to be prepared for.. No excuses for not stopping that!

with out these 2 plays it might not have come down to a FG attempt leaving the game in SD hands!

Totally agree with you here. Keeping the front 5 about 5 yards back (at the 45) instead of near the 40 was stupid in that situation. I expect more from BB; that was a clear coaching mistake.

If you can't be happy with that win, then what were you gonna do if they had lost? Maybe you should look at yourself in the mirror and question why you are a fan. Are you in it just for the blowouts or do you just want this team to win no matter what? Even in the 16-0 season, the Pats had some ugly wins there mixed in with the blowouts. That doesn't take anything away from what they accomplished.

GOOD TEAMS win close games. This is what the Pats pulled off this week. The Chargers are NOT a good team, because although they may have awesome stats and talent, they just don't play smart, they are not a GOOD team. Ask yourself - would you rather have your team ranked 1st in offense and 1st in defense and a 2-5 record because they play stupid OR would you rather have a 5-1 record having a tough gutty team, that plays well when it counts although not really blowing out that many teams lately? I'd MUCH rather have the latter.

Some fans here are ridiculously spoiled. The Pats got off to a fast start to get to 3-1 and put up big points on the scoreboard. Those games weren't in doubt. But the past two weeks Pats had to really gut it out and play tough teams well in close games and came out on top both times to get to that 5-1 mark. You've gotta win the close games as well as the blowouts to be considered a good team. And in case you hadn't noticed, both of those wins were on THE ROAD.

Winning these games is a marked improvement over 2009. If this were the 2009 team, the Pats could easily be 3-3 right now. But they're not. Think a little bit about what this means. Then realize that with this young core, this team has the potential to only get better as the season progresses. That should be a scary thought for the rest of the NFL. The emergence of the defensive unit is particularly encouraging. I can't wait to see how we play come December.

frankly , when the score was 10-3 ,i was hoping we would win with the same score like old days. Go back to 2003 , we won a game vs cleveland at home 10-6 or 10-9 or something with the D getting the INT in the last cle drive.
No flash but won. which is why people around the league never gave those teams enough credit ,just "they dont make mistakes".
If this carries on and we win more games iam all for it
EDIT: here is our 2003 season

http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?team=NE&season=2003&seasonType=REG

see the scores there...
9-3
12-0
23-20
16-7
21-16

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back