PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going to my first NFL game in Buffalo!

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I'm very excited to finally see the Patriots play in person. I've been to training camp and visited the stadium in the off-season twice. Even went to Vince's draft party a couple of years back.

Since I live in Ontario (Canada) Buffalo is the closest NFL stadium. Just got some tix from ticket exchange (section 112, row 31).

Any pointers on how early to arrive, parking, where to tailgate, or tricks on keeping warm? Any Patsfans going to the game?

I admit it, I'm psyched.

Watch out because Homeland Security is cracking down on the borders. The full body cavity searches are in vogue.

Enjoy the game and represent us well!

I've gone to see us in Buffalo. Fans were really cool toward us, at least where I was. Pretty cool watching a game being played underground too :cool:

Should be lots of Pats fans, have fun and represent!

When I went there in '07, I pre-paid for a tailgate party thrown by the Patriots Fan Club of Rochester NY. Had a good time hanging with other Pats fans and it was nice not to have to bring/setup/tear-down my on tailgate stuff. Might want to look into something like that.

I'll be there too. Tailgating all around the stadium. You'll find your share of Patriot Tailgaters. There are a lot of us out this way. Glad I'll be on hand to watch us wrap up the #1 seed.

Hey I was in your exact shoes a few years back and saw the Pats play for the first time, in Buffalo for a late-season game as well. Be warned, Buffalo is a total ****-hole, and Ralph Wilson Stadium is even worse. Complete drunken slobs all over the place, and the facilities in general are seriously hurting (dear God the washrooms are a disgrace... people literally piss all over the walls).

I'm assuming the Bills fans won't be much of a problem... they know they're pretty awful year in and out and boo their own players and coaches as much as they do the Pats.

I'm sure everyone else can fill you on the pointers you were wondering about, but I didn't see any large Pats tailgates when I went FWIW.

I've been to a game in Buffalo too. The weather made the whole thing miserable.

Hey I was in your exact shoes a few years back and saw the Pats play for the first time, in Buffalo for a late-season game as well. Be warned, Buffalo is a total ****-hole, and Ralph Wilson Stadium is even worse. Complete drunken slobs all over the place, and the facilities in general are seriously hurting (dear God the washrooms are a disgrace... people literally piss all over the walls).

I'm assuming the Bills fans won't be much of a problem... they know they're pretty awful year in and out and boo their own players and coaches as much as they do the Pats.

I'm sure everyone else can fill you on the pointers you were wondering about, but I didn't see any large Pats tailgates when I went FWIW.

Where were you in Buffalo? This is actually a beautiful city. One of the best I've lived in (includes NYC, Boston, Providence and several others). Great parks, great architecture, beautiful homes and buildings. ****hole? No. Only the people passing on the highway through the industrial area might think that.

Typical New Englander...

I'm very excited to finally see the Patriots play in person. I've been to training camp and visited the stadium in the off-season twice. Even went to Vince's draft party a couple of years back.

Since I live in Ontario (Canada) Buffalo is the closest NFL stadium. Just got some tix from ticket exchange (section 112, row 31).

Any pointers on how early to arrive, parking, where to tailgate, or tricks on keeping warm? Any Patsfans going to the game?

I admit it, I'm psyched.

I've been passing through the border a lot recently and haven't had any problems.

From the Peace Bridge to the Stadium, it's a 30 minute drive (avoid the backroads and take the highway). I live near the Peace Bridge and I'm leaving at 11 am.

Do not park at official Buffalo Bills parking. It's a nightmare. park at one of the lots along Milestrip or Abbott Road and walk to the stadium, or park on someone's lawn (they'll collect your money and allow it).

It takes about 15 minutes to get in at the gate.

I wear my ski gear, fully cover my head, wool socks, and those hot packets for hands and feet. I have never felt the cold since I have been doing this.

The main tailgating will be in the stadium lots (which are impossible to drive through because of all the badly parked cars and all the trashbins with fires burning). I'm staying in my car with a few beers and food. No real tailgating.

If you want to try Buffalo wings after the game, drive East toward Duff's wings in West Seneca just a few miles from the stadium while the traffic is trying to get back onto the highway. I'm sure Duff's will be packed but their wings are great.

I really recommend those seat cushions with the styrofoam beads in them to keep yourself warm and have some padding under you. Stadium seats are reasonable in warm weather, but get cold and hard in winter time. Otherwise, a stadium blanket to fold up and use as a cushion will work too.

Also second the hand warmers, wool socks, etc.

I admit it, I'm psyched.

I'll be there. It's a bit of a bohemian environment in Buffalo compared to other NFL stadium scenes. There are a lot of residential homes around the stadium that open their front and backyards to parking for pretty cheap ($10 or so). If you want to tailgate, go to one of the stadium lots. It's supposed to be cold and snowy (what else?), but being from Canada you should know that story. They open the adjacent fieldhouse so you can duck in there to warm up before the game. Wear layers of polyester and/or wool (NO cotton) and get hand warmers. I wear foot warmers in my boots. Don't drink alcohol like so many idiots I see at games, it makes you colder. Arrive as early as you want to soak it all in; you might want to check and see when the official lots open. It's usually four hours before kickoff.

Last edited:

City smack??? I've lived in several different places and been all over the world. I'll put my quality of life in Buffalo against anyone. I've also found that people who feel the need to insult someone's hometown tend to be insecure about their own place in life. Plus, we all can be booming metropolises like Mizzola, montana. :D

And for the people coming to the game, it should be a great weekend here. The World Junior Hockey Tournament in taking place in Buffalo and they are expecting 100,000 people from all over the world. So try to make it downtown if you can. And since I consider it my duty to treat all opposing fans to a good time in Buffalo, any Pats fans I see, I'd gladly buy them a beer.

I'll be there too. Tailgating all around the stadium. You'll find your share of Patriot Tailgaters. There are a lot of us out this way. Glad I'll be on hand to watch us wrap up the #1 seed.

If you tailgate with the Rochester Pats fans, make sure they bring wings from Sal's Birdland, best ever....
Anybody driving up to Buffalo, stop there in Rochester on the way back..Worth the stop...

City smack??? I've lived in several different places and been all over the world. I'll put my quality of life in Buffalo against anyone. I've also found that people who feel the need to insult someone's hometown tend to be insecure about their own place in life. Plus, we all can be booming metropolises like Mizzola, montana. :D

And for the people coming to the game, it should be a great weekend here. The World Junior Hockey Tournament in taking place in Buffalo and they are expecting 100,000 people from all over the world. So try to make it downtown if you can. And since I consider it my duty to treat all opposing fans to a good time in Buffalo, any Pats fans I see, I'd gladly buy them a beer.
You're completely out of your mind if you can't objectively agree that Buffalo is a city that, for the most part, is seriously hurting. I'm not saying there aren't some decent neighborhoods, I'm sure there are. But you can't be proud when you drive through the majority of the city... it's disgusting.

You're completely out of your mind if you can't objectively agree that Buffalo is a city that, for the most part, is seriously hurting. I'm not saying there aren't some decent neighborhoods, I'm sure there are. But you can't be proud when you drive through the majority of the city... it's disgusting.

I know the city much better than you, and although economically you may be correct, you are way off base as far as people go. There are jerks in every city and every fanbase, and you are misrepresenting the home of one of the best tailgating scenes in the entire league.

To the OP, most have already said it, but keep warm. The winds will be the biggest of your problems, so make sure to have some well insulated clothing. And as a Pats fan, you'll probably want to bring some defibrillators for yourself after the Bills shock the Pats at the Ralph this Sunday.

Here's to a good game and a pleasant experience for you.

I went to the Buffalo game last season. There is nothing wrong with the city....it's not a big metropolitan area but it's a pretty nice residential area. As for the stadium, you're right. The bathrooms are terrible and the concourses are dirty. The fans are complete assh***s, I know that every fanbase has some but it seemed like the majority were. I was getting harassed literally nonstop from the second we parked till we got out of the traffic (it doesn't bother me, I actually kinda like it) but they were telling little kids to f*** off and suck Brady's d**k....that's just ridiculous. It has some pretty good tailgating though...and if anyone tells you the best wings are from anywhere other than Duff's don't believe them.

I admit it, I'm psyched.

Got 10 of us going up from Western Massachusetts.....we got tix for $25/each on Ebay, sitting row 5 of section 143.....unreal.

You just don't know what you're talking about. Seriously. What parts of the city have you driven through.

As I said, I lived in Boston, Providence, NYC, and a few other cities. Does Buffalo have poor areas? Of course, but after softball games off FDR drive, I used to take off my cleats and jog through some sketchy neighborhoods on the lower East Side for fear of being jacked up. Providence has nothing on Buffalo, and just like Buffalo has a questionable West Side, Providence has the South Side. In Boston 10 years ago, I was rehearsing with my band in Jamaica Plain. The price of an intact nose and skull was our musical instruments. It happens. But huge chunks of the city of Buffalo are absolutely gorgeous. It has nothing like the Brownstones of Back Bay, but the homes and really mansions rival any in America. They were all built when Buffalo was the second richest city in America.

Allentown, Elmwood Village, Delaware Park, Hertel, are all areas with really nice homes, and there are more. Hell, try Google Street View and you can drive 5 miles and see nothing but beautiful homes and neighborhoods. Even some of the sketchier areas have absolutely gorgeous homes.

Last edited:
There will be a tailgate which is open to all Pats fans taking place on the Route 20 side of the stadium. Join Patriots Tailgate for more info. We want to get this going as an annual tailgate that gets bigger and bigger every year.

From what I've heard, the Rochester Club isn't planning anything again this year (it's been two years since they last organized a tailgate in Buffalo).

Need tickets? Just $22 for $68 value tickets.

Buffalo Bills vs. New England Patriots tickets Ralph Wilson Stadium Orchard Park, NY, Directions, seating chart. Official Ticketmaster site.

Use code: UBALUMNI

or....

Make a $20 donation to the Make a Wish Foundation

Make-A-Wish Foundation of Western New York The Buffalo Bills Season of Wishes Week

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back