PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going Into Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fairly sure you are mistaken. It was November 1st when Randy Moss was waived by the Vikings. That was after the Trade Deadline.

I believe every player has to clear waivers after the trade deadline and before the start of the new season.

That's it! The trade deadline! I don't recall anything about before the season, though. Only that vested vets have guaranteed contracts if they are on the roster week 1.

A signing team assumes all compensation going forward. In Bodden's case, there are bonuses already paid that have not been reflected in the cap. Under the old CBA (and likely the new CBA), all unamortized bonus monies would be relected in the patriots 2011 cap (instead over over 2011, 2012 and 2013). Per Miguel, the 2011 savings would be $395,000.

BODDEN will NOT be cut because of his cap hit. He COULD be traded or cut because the patriots no longer had any use for one of their starting corners.

IMHO, there is exactly zero chance that Bodden will not be playing for the patriots in 2011, barring an additional injury.

Although the Pats aren't likely to cut Bodden, if they did, he'd never make it through waivers. Wouldn't that mean his entire cap hit would be picked up by the signing team?

Last edited:
I am fairly sure you are mistaken. It was November 1st when Randy Moss was waived by the Vikings. That was after the Trade Deadline.

I believe every player has to clear waivers after the trade deadline and before the start of the new season.

Gotchya. Thanks for the help.

A signing team assumes all compensation going forward. In Boddne's case, there are bonuses already paid that have not been reflected in the cap. Under the old CBA (and likely the new CBA), all unamortized bonus monies would be relected in the patriots 2011 cap (instead over over 2011, 2012 and 2013). Per Miguel, the 2011 savings would be $395,000.

BODDEN will NOT be cut because of his cap hit. He COULD be traded or cut because the patriots no longer had any use for one of their starting corners.

IMHO, there is exactly zero chance that Bodden will not be playing for the patriots in 2011, barring an additional injury.

The only way I could see NE trading Bodden is if there are some serious issues that we are not aware of, or if another team desperate for a corner made a rediculous trade offer. Both situation are extremely unlikely.

Ray Edwards will be an UFA based on outline of new CBA leaked. Should the Pats be interested? Kiwanuka too?

Ray Edwards will be an UFA based on outline of new CBA leaked. Should the Pats be interested? Kiwanuka too?

I dont know much about Edwards but I'd LOVE to get Kiwi.

That's it! The trade deadline! I don't recall anything about before the season, though. Only that vested vets have guaranteed contracts if they are on the roster week 1.

I've been thinking about this and the only guy I can think of that I am certain he avoided waivers prior to the start of the season was Lawyer Milloy. If you recall, he even told Peter King that he was aware better options could be had elsewhere even before getting released.

There are others, but none that I could definitively recall that they hadn't cleared waivers first. But Milloy was immediately a free agent and I am about 98% sure that the waiver process for vested vets only applies after the trading deadline, not earlier during or prior to the season.

Anyone have any opinion on the Kaczur-to-guard experiment that ended prematurely last season? The Pats certainly aren't over-supplied with guards at present.

Yes.

Nick Kazcur is clearly a FAR better Guard than a O Tackle, and it has ASTOUNDED me that he's continually been WASTED on the Edge.

What's with the personal attack? "no idea what I'm talking about"? This is a f*ing message board, not a PhD thesis.

Yes, this is a message board. If you write something that I think is profoundly misguided, I'm going to say something about it.

This thread is about how we believe Bill Belichick will manage the roster, and you seem to be of the opinion that he might be interested in cutting either the best or second best corner on the team for a cap savings of 400K. In my opinion, this is evidence you do not know what you are talking about in respect to Belichick's roster management. Now, if Bodden does indeed get cut then you are welcome to bring up this thread and I'll have to admit that I'm the one who is obviously clueless.

But until then, chill out man. It's not a personal attack, I just think you are completely misreading the situation. With me, it's NEVER personal and ALWAYS about football

Yes.

Nick Kazcur is clearly a FAR better Guard than a O Tackle, and it has ASTOUNDED me that he's continually been WASTED on the Edge.

You know this after one practice that no one saw? :confused:

I don't disagree that Kaczur might be a better fit for guard, to be state it with such certainty is a little eye opening.

Last edited:
There is no way Faulk is denied a spot if he wants to return. Belichik will find another way to manipulate his game day rosters if need be but Faulk is going to be there when the season starts.

The only needs they have in free agency are a pass rusher and a downfield threat, the latter may well be on the market but it could be tough to find a pass rusher that isn't priced out of the market, especially given the fails they have had in going after high priced pass rushers. I will be interested to see who is really available once the dust settles from the lock-out and free agency actually begins.

I'm on the Kiwanuka band wagon, assuming his health checks out. I think he'd be a good fit and would address an area of need.

There is no way Faulk is denied a spot if he wants to return. Belichik will find another way to manipulate his game day rosters if need be but Faulk is going to be there when the season starts.

It isn't just making the team. He has to have a role and some game snaps. Unfortunately, his roles and snaps have been taken by youngsters (Woodhead, Edelperson, Vereen) that need more work...not less. The only way I see Faulk sticking is with an injury and possibly two.

The only needs they have in free agency are a pass rusher and a downfield threat

The Pats have drafted guys with downfield speed relatively high the last 2 years. They have played about 20 games between them. Wouldn't you look there first? If it doesn't work out, the Pats have high picks in 2012 with a number of top receivers likely coming out. Besides, do you know of a FA speed guy that the Pats should target next month?

It isn't just making the team. He has to have a role and some game snaps. Unfortunately, his roles and snaps have been taken by youngsters (Woodhead, Edelperson, Vereen) that need more work...not less. The only way I see Faulk sticking is with an injury and possibly two.

The Pats have drafted guys with downfield speed relatively high the last 2 years. They have played about 20 games between them. Wouldn't you look there first? If it doesn't work out, the Pats have high picks in 2012 with a number of top receivers likely coming out. Besides, do you know of a FA speed guy that the Pats should target next month?

I agree.

Faulk is a tough one. I'm sure BB and Brady would love for him to see the field, but I do wonder about how much more value he provides than Woodhead at this point. And is there really room on this roster for two 3rd down backs?

What I think might happen is Faulk signs and comes in as a PUP candidate. Then, if there is a positional need after 6 weeks he'll be activated. Otherwise he'll be put on IR.

Regarding the receivers, it is the same thing as the DL and OLB situation. Fans have forgotten what it is like to live through a rebuild. Guys who struggle as rookies aren't destined to struggle for the rest of their careers.

You know this after one practice that no one saw? :confused:

I don't disagree that Kaczur might be a better fit for guard, to be state it with such certainty is a little eye opening.

I didn't claim to know anything: I stated an opinion, my good man.

And it was based off of his Skill Set coming out of College, not that one practice you refer to.

Circumstances, combined with his own diligence, worth ethic, and rapid learning landed him at O Tackle early on in his career...But I've always thought him to be a FAR better fit at O Guard. Of course at this point I'd like to see him as the 4th O Guard, unless they think Ojinnaka could do better...Frankly, I'd love to see the roster get fattened up and us retain BOTH of them, if we don't haul in any of my Rookie Free Agent Binkies.

I would much rather consider Kaczur our #3 or #4 OT than our non-existant #4 OG. We almost always carry 2 OC's (the backup must also play OG), 3 OG's and 4 OT's.
================================================
Let's see how the argument goes.

ARGUMENT ONE
We are fine with Solder, Vollmer, LeVoir and Maneri at OT.

We have Mankins and Connolly as our starting OG's. We have Koppen and Wendell as our centers. We ahve Cannon on the PUP list. So we should hire Kaczur as a $3.5M backup guard instead of Ohrnberger while we wait for Cannon.

ARGUMENT TWO
See above for the situation at OG. We are all set.
With regard to OT, it is clear that Kaczur is a better option as a game-day backup than either LeVoir or Maneri. Kaczur could even start if Solder isn't quite ready, or fill in if either Vollmer or SOlder is injured.
==================================

If Kaczur were your client, which argument would you use. Which aguiment shows Kaczur as having more value? Do you really think that Nick Kaczur is worth $3.5M to the patriots as a guard?????? (or anywhere near that amount?

I didn't claim to know anything: I stated an opinion, my good man.

And it was based off of his Skill Set coming out of College, not that one practice you refer to.

Circumstances, combined with his own diligence, worth ethic, and rapid learning landed him at O Tackle early on in his career...But I've always thought him to be a FAR better fit at O Guard. Of course at this point I'd like to see him as the 4th O Guard, unless they think Ojinnaka could do better...Frankly, I'd love to see the roster get fattened up and us retain BOTH of them, if we don't haul in any of my Rookie Free Agent Binkies.

Last edited:
I am stoked that free agency may start soon, visions of sugar plums and craziness are racing through my head.

What if BB lost his mind for a moment and went after a franchised player? The Patriots have 2 first round picks next year but they are likely to be around picks 25-32. They own their pick and New Orleans'.

Some of the franchised players include Haloti Ngata, Lamar Woodley and Tamba Hali.

Ngata is a beast, what a D Line. Warren, Wilfork and Ngata... A boy can dream.

On the O Line I can so no other option that Solder starting from Day 1, either at RT but must likely at LT. This makes having Mankins beside him for day 1 imperative. Extending Mankins and making him happy and ready for training camp is high on their action list.

I can't wait, and can't believe football will be back soon.

Last edited:
Belichick seems to be wanting to specialize his defense, so having dedicated rushers like Wright, Pryor and Moore rather than having every-down guys like Seymour and Vrabel looks like the plan.

No. I think he is forced to "specialize" because the unavailability of every-down guys like Seymour and Vrabel. The defense is much more versatile and unpredictable when every-down players are available. One trick ponies tip the offense off.

Sydney Rice and vincent Jackson are the two guys who would seem to fill the downfield need but i'm not sure they would go after either. As for Faulk I think people are writing him off yet again when he is and always has been an extremely valuable player for them, and i think the likelihood of Ridley watching on game days is much higher than Faulk. If he's healthy he not only dresses every game but contributes, just as he always has. I honestly don't think there is another player in NFL history who has made more big and clutch plays per touch than Faulk and think he should be first ballot Patriot HOF. Go back through all the big games and critical drives in Belichik era Patriot history and faulk is right in the middle of all of them.

I would love to see Taylor Price deliver and hopefully he fills the need the Patriots have to get the ball down the field and open it up underneath but I think that they should still be amking sure they are set in that regard if possible.

I would much rather consider Kaczur our #3 or #4 OT than our non-existant #4 OG. We almost always carry 2 OC's (the backup must also play OG), 3 OG's and 4 OT's.

I consider him damaged goods, whenever I here the words back injury and 300+ pounder I get worried. IMO they look for a little help with interior depth via free agency and then cut him loose.

Has anyone heard anything about roster sizes? will it stay at 53?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back