PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going Into Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why there is so much momentum to the thought that rosters will expand. Players are fighting for a bigger slice of the pie to increase their own paycheck, not to add another guy to the roster.

There was some talk of it to help make up for lost time this offseason.

I don't see why there is so much momentum to the thought that rosters will expand. Players are fighting for a bigger slice of the pie to increase their own paycheck, not to add another guy to the roster.

Yep. The only changes I could see is delaying the roster cutdowns, having more than 45 gameday actives and/or modifying the IR rules to not be season-ending. None of these would change the salary picture but would provide more roster flexibility to mitigate the shortened offseason.

I'm not down on Sanders and Crumpler as players. They are both contributors in tangible and intangible ways. It is just roster reality. If the normal 45 active/8 inactive rules still apply this year, there will have to be veterans off the roster either by injuries, trades or cuts. There are always a handful of players kept that are developmental and are rarely active without injuries. Last year included Price, Fletcher, Deaderick, Love, Maneri and even (before the Maroney trade and Faulk injury) BJGE.

For this year, Mallett is clearly one of the inactive 8. A couple of those spots will be for the short-term injured. But a few will be guys not on the current depth chart radar. Happens every year. So projecting a roster with veterans, high draft picks or special teams guys (like Slater) not on the gameday 45 is outside of normal roster management.

Sanders, Crumpler, Kaczur and TBC are all guys that are paid more than their on-field contributions would warrant...and there are cheaper guys behind them. Without roster or cap restrictions, the situation is much different. So we will have to see how the CBA turns out and if there are any camp injuries.

Injuries or roster expansion will give us the3 additional spots. That being said,

A) Even with 56 roster spots, you still find room for only 3 OT's. Belichick has almost always carried four.

B) At one time, we carried 3 corners. There is NOT room for 6.

C) I see White or another top Ster being part of the roster, one of the 2 ST aces. Last year, we had Slater and White. In effect, you have given that roster spot to Brown.

D) I suspect that Cannon is more ready that you think, but the PUP list is OK. But don't be surprised if he is in camp and replaces the mighty Ohrnberger (who, as I recall, couldn't make last years's quad).

E) You are politically correct in giving a roster spot to Faulk. I don't think that this will happen. Faulk or Woodhead would be inactive each game, a waste.

Offense (26)
QB - 3 Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
RB - 5 Faulk, Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Vareen, Ridley
OC - 2 Koppen, Wendell
OG - 3 Mankins, Ohrnberger, Connolly
OT - 3 Vollmer, Solder, Levoir
WR - 6 Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Branch, Slater
TE - 4 Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Smith

Defense (27)
DE - 6 Deaderick, Ty Warren, G. Warren, Brace, Love, Pryor
NT - 2 Wright, Wilfork
ILB– 4 Mayo, Guyton, Spikes, Fletcher
OLB- 4 Banta-Cain, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Moore
CB - 6 Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Wilhite, Butler, Dowling
S - 5 Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, Page, Brown

Special Teams (3)
K - 1 Gostkowski
P - 1 Mesko
LS - 1 Katula

- I'm three players over the roster limit. I expect this will be solved by injuries. But, if everyone comes into Week One healthy then the following roster fights:
a. Wilhite vs. Butler fighting for the #5 CB spot
b. Page vs. Brown for a ST role and DB depth
c. Deaderick, Pryor, Love: 3 guys fighting for 2 jobs on the DL

- I sent Cannon to PUP. Fully expect him to get a red shirt, even if he's perfectly healthy by the time the season rolls around. This is standard BB fare. He drafted Tate with the same kind of thinking: take a flier on a high talent guy who dropped in the draft due to injury and wait it out.

- I think there's a chance BB re-signs Light, which would bump Levoir. But taking Solder that high pretty much only makes sense if they plan to throw him out there. I think BB will be satisfied to take the compensatory pick after Light signs with Buffalo, Miami, Jets or something heartbreaking like that. Hopefully he goes to Kansas City.

- I've dropped Stroud and re-added G.Warren. Each year, BB brings a vet into camp that cant make the conversion. I've supposed that Gerard will re-sign and then edge Stroud out based on experience in the system. Could easily work the other way around.

- I've also added Faulk back on the roster. I think most fans are ready to turn the page on Kevin, but BB admires him, he's a solid role model to the rookie RBs, and he makes plays. Seems crowded in the backfield, but this unit will also be important nucleus for the STs, made more urgent given that Sammy Morris is not listed.

This team is much deeper than the 2010 version that went 14-2, with the same starters on both sides of the ball, other than Light. There's not a speck of fat on the roster... fully 56 players deep. When you use your two 2nd round picks on #4 CB and #4 RB, you know the team is stacked with talent.

Injuries or roster expansion will give us the3 additional spots. That being said,

A) Even with 56 roster spots, you still find room for only 3 OT's. Belichick has almost always carried four.

B) At one time, we carried 3 corners. There is NOT room for 6.

C) I see White or another top Ster being part of the roster, one of the 2 ST aces. Last year, we had Slater and White. In effect, you have given that roster spot to Brown.

D) I suspect that Cannon is more ready that you think, but the PUP list is OK. But don't be surprised if he is in camp and replaces the mighty Ohrnberger (who, as I recall, couldn't make last years's quad).

E) You are politically correct in giving a roster spot to Faulk. I don't think that this will happen. Faulk or Woodhead would be inactive each game, a waste.

A) OT - I'm not too anxious about depth at OT, because I think the OG depth can probably pinch hit since many of them were OT in college. And BB is all about versatility... almost no one plays only one position. And, I'm counting on the fact that the #4 OT will live on the PS. Even when he carries 4 OT, #4 is almost always inactive.

B) CB - Sure there is. We've had three in the past when the SS and WR depth chart provided the weapons in the kicking game. Funny that you object to carrying 3 OT but concede 3 CB is viable. IMO, the positions BB keeps with depth are a function of the talent he has available, not any hard line quota. In any case, Bulter and Wilhite both flashed big plays in ST last year. I'm not ready to give up on either one of them. Arrington is legit. Maybe Bodden makes this easy and gets hurt again. But, if not, I'm 100% ready to take six on the roster, have one or two of them inactive any given week.

C) Wilhite, Slater, Brown, Butler, Lee Smith, Ridley, Woodhead, Dowling, Vereen, Fletcher, Edelman... I've got a lot of faith that we've got speed and power in what I presume will be the core of the ST unit. Wilhite and Slater may be the two gunners, but the rest of them aren't just a bunch of scrubs. I remember a Belichick Breakdown (patriots.com) where BB highlighted a punt return where Butler and Brown were the focal points of the return.

D) Agree. Let's see how this plays out. It is pretty early for us to be making these decisions.

E) If Faulk is on the team, I think Woodhead gets "Edelman"ed... i.e. after Welker came back from his injury, Edelman got shoved down the depth chart where the only place for him to really see the field was on PR. That's a pretty high quality problem to have, a quality, proven and improving young player stuck behind a productive veteran. Woodhead made an impression on ST more than a few times last year. Worst case, I think he could make a difference there again.

Last edited:
One last thought... it's possible that Bodden gets cut, if the kids look good. He is eating cap space, and if BB thinks he can get the same productivity from Dowling and Arrington, there's some motivation. Obviously, cutting Bodden would be an opportunity to show Dowling more snaps than otherwise.

Not saying it will happen, but the dynamics are logically viable.

One last thought... it's possible that Bodden gets cut, if the kids look good. He is eating cap space, and if BB thinks he can get the same productivity from Dowling and Arrington, there's some motivation. Obviously, cutting Bodden would be an opportunity to show Dowling more snaps than otherwise.

Not saying it will happen, but the dynamics are logically viable.

The dynamics are logically viable?! Sorry dude, you have no idea what you're talking about.

First of all, cutting Bodden would free up about 400K, which means it wouldn't even save them enough to sign a vet to the minimum. But even if it did save them money, they wouldn't do it because he's a really good corner.

What is with people on this board wanting to cut quality veterans in the name of cap space? The Patriots are in good position cap wise, so there really isn't some urgency to cut good football players.

That's what Bodden, Alge Crumpler, and James Sanders are. Good football players. All three of them are among the best 53 players on the roster, and believe it or not that still counts for something in Belichick's mind.

The Patriots are already one of the youngest teams in the league, they don't need to go around cutting some of the few proven players they have.

It seems that free agency MIGHT begin in 3 weeks. What are your highest priorities. IMHO, we have no NEEDS. Of course, there will always be opportunities to upgrade.

Obviously, we need to decide what offers to give to our own free agents. The number re-signed could the lowest in years.
================================================================
JUNE 17 ROSTER

QB - 3 Brady, Hoyer, Mallett,(Crompton)
RB - 4 Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Vareen, Ridley,(Clayton)
C - 2 Koppen, Wendell
G - 3 Mankins, Cannon/Ohrnberger, Connolly, (Austin)
OT - 4 Solder, Vollmer, Kaczur, Levoir/Maneri
WR - 5 Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Branch,(Farnham),(Jenkins)
TE - 4 Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Smith (Butler)
--------------------------------------------------------
DE - 3 Deaderick, Ty Warren, Stroud, (Favorite)
DT - 4 Wright/Love, Brace, Pryor, Wilfork, (Weston), (Richard)
CB - 4 Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Wilhite/Butler, (Jackson), (Carter)
S - 3 Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, (Ventrone)
CB/S -1 Dowling
----------------------------------------------------------------------
P - 1 Mesko
K - 1 Gostkowski
LS - 1 Katula
ST 2 Slater, Brown/Barrett/Page

FREE AGENTS
Faulk, Graham, Light, McGowan, Morris, Ojinnaka, Taylor, G. Warren, White

Hey mg, I've enjoyed your posts and attention to details since long before the Sept. '04 site blowup (I joined somewhere late in '01 originally). I noticed you left off a couple of names out of the 71 you included in your list (most notably our recent late rd. picks LB Markell Carter and DB Malcolm Williams) and upon further research I saw DE/DL Marques Murrell and DT Landon Cohen were also omitted.

Granted none of the four has any odds in their favor making the 53 but maybe one or some may make the PS or get a RS/IR designation for a chance to stick. I know you keep an eye on the roster so on a side note I was wondering if you have any idea when our 3 military reserve guys (Barnes, Kettani and White) will be eligable to try out for a chance to get on the team. IIRC it's a 4 year obligation and this would be year 3 (didn't David Robinson (NBA) get to slide out after 2 with the Navy?). Just curious.

Not trying to bust your balls by any means and if I missed any info on those players I'll blame it on the labor crap for my waning offseason interest.

The "norm" has been 4 OT's and 4-5 CB's. I see no reason to deviate this year. This especially the case since we are well-stocked at safety.

A) OT - I'm not too anxious about depth at OT, because I think the OG depth can probably pinch hit since many of them were OT in college. And BB is all about versatility... almost no one plays only one position. And, I'm counting on the fact that the #4 OT will live on the PS. Even when he carries 4 OT, #4 is almost always inactive.

B) CB - Sure there is. We've had three in the past when the SS and WR depth chart provided the weapons in the kicking game. Funny that you object to carrying 3 OT but concede 3 CB is viable. IMO, the positions BB keeps with depth are a function of the talent he has available, not any hard line quota. In any case, Bulter and Wilhite both flashed big plays in ST last year. I'm not ready to give up on either one of them. Arrington is legit. Maybe Bodden makes this easy and gets hurt again. But, if not, I'm 100% ready to take six on the roster, have one or two of them inactive any given week.

C) Wilhite, Slater, Brown, Butler, Lee Smith, Ridley, Woodhead, Dowling, Vereen, Fletcher, Edelman... I've got a lot of faith that we've got speed and power in what I presume will be the core of the ST unit. Wilhite and Slater may be the two gunners, but the rest of them aren't just a bunch of scrubs. I remember a Belichick Breakdown (patriots.com) where BB highlighted a punt return where Butler and Brown were the focal points of the return.

D) Agree. Let's see how this plays out. It is pretty early for us to be making these decisions.

E) If Faulk is on the team, I think Woodhead gets "Edelman"ed... i.e. after Welker came back from his injury, Edelman got shoved down the depth chart where the only place for him to really see the field was on PR. That's a pretty high quality problem to have, a quality, proven and improving young player stuck behind a productive veteran. Woodhead made an impression on ST more than a few times last year. Worst case, I think he could make a difference there again.

The "norm" has been 4 OT's and 4-5 CB's. I see no reason to deviate this year. This especially the case since we are well-stocked at safety.

You are correct. All 4 should ahve been listed. With regard to Navy guys, as in the past, I have chosen to ignore them until they show up on the field.

CARTER AND WILLIAMS
I believe that they have almost no chance of making the 53, and little chance of making the Practice Squad. I suspect that each is a binky of one of the coaches.

MURRELL
Miguel doesn't list him. However, I do think that he is signed through 2011 and could fill a roster spot in case of injury at LB or ST.

COHEN
Miguel doesn't list him. Perhaps he also is signed through 2011, although it matter ittle sicne he has almost no chance of making the 53 man squad.

Hey mg, I've enjoyed your posts and attention to details since long before the Sept. '04 site blowup (I joined somewhere late in '01 originally). I noticed you left off a couple of names out of the 71 you included in your list (most notably our recent late rd. picks LB Markell Carter and DB Malcolm Williams) and upon further research I saw DE/DL Marques Murrell and DT Landon Cohen were also omitted.

Granted none of the four has any odds in their favor making the 53 but maybe one or some may make the PS or get a RS/IR designation for a chance to stick. I know you keep an eye on the roster so on a side note I was wondering if you have any idea when our 3 military reserve guys (Barnes, Kettani and White) will be eligable to try out for a chance to get on the team. IIRC it's a 4 year obligation and this would be year 3 (didn't David Robinson (NBA) get to slide out after 2 with the Navy?). Just curious.

Not trying to bust your balls by any means and if I missed any info on those players I'll blame it on the labor crap for my waning offseason interest.

Offense (26)
QB - 3 Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
RB - 5 Faulk, Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Vareen, Ridley
OC - 2 Koppen, Wendell
OG - 3 Mankins, Ohrnberger, Connolly
OT - 3 Vollmer, Solder, Levoir
WR - 6 Welker, Edelman, Tate, Price, Branch, Slater
TE - 4 Crumpler, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Smith

Defense (27)
DE - 6 Deaderick, Ty Warren, G. Warren, Brace, Love, Pryor
NT - 2 Wright, Wilfork
CB - 6 Bodden, McCourty, Arrington, Wilhite, Butler, Dowling
S - 5 Meriweather, Sanders, Chung, Page, Brown

Special Teams (3)
K - 1 Gostkowski
P - 1 Mesko
LS - 1 Katula

- I'm three players over the roster limit. I expect this will be solved by injuries. But, if everyone comes into Week One healthy then the following roster fights:
a. Wilhite vs. Butler fighting for the #5 CB spot
b. Page vs. Brown for a ST role and DB depth
c. Deaderick, Pryor, Love: 3 guys fighting for 2 jobs on the DL

- I sent Cannon to PUP. Fully expect him to get a red shirt, even if he's perfectly healthy by the time the season rolls around. This is standard BB fare. He drafted Tate with the same kind of thinking: take a flier on a high talent guy who dropped in the draft due to injury and wait it out.

- I think there's a chance BB re-signs Light, which would bump Levoir. But taking Solder that high pretty much only makes sense if they plan to throw him out there. I think BB will be satisfied to take the compensatory pick after Light signs with Buffalo, Miami, Jets or something heartbreaking like that. Hopefully he goes to Kansas City.

- I've dropped Stroud and re-added G.Warren. Each year, BB brings a vet into camp that cant make the conversion. I've supposed that Gerard will re-sign and then edge Stroud out based on experience in the system. Could easily work the other way around.

- I've also added Faulk back on the roster. I think most fans are ready to turn the page on Kevin, but BB admires him, he's a solid role model to the rookie RBs, and he makes plays. Seems crowded in the backfield, but this unit will also be important nucleus for the STs, made more urgent given that Sammy Morris is not listed.

This team is much deeper than the 2010 version that went 14-2, with the same starters on both sides of the ball, other than Light. There's not a speck of fat on the roster... fully 56 players deep. When you use your two 2nd round picks on #4 CB and #4 RB, you know the team is stacked with talent.

Looking through this -- not to quibble. If things pan out as we hope, this
is an incredibly strong roster with a lot of depth to absorb the inevitable injuries and a lot of strong special teams players. Pretty much everyone except the rookies has done some good things already and there are a lot of young players we can expect to improve over last year.

Really, it's only at OLB, OG (I'm writing off Cannon for this year) and (arguably) WR (if neither Tate nor Price come through) where another player would strengthen things significantly. I don't know if any other teams are in such good shape.

You are correct. All 4 should ahve been listed. With regard to Navy guys, as in the past, I have chosen to ignore them until they show up on the field.

CARTER AND WILLIAMS
I believe that they have almost no chance of making the 53, and little chance of making the Practice Squad. I suspect that each is a binky of one of the coaches.

MURRELL
Miguel doesn't list him. However, I do think that he is signed through 2011 and could fill a roster spot in case of injury at LB or ST.

COHEN
Miguel doesn't list him. Perhaps he also is signed through 2011, although it matter ittle sicne he has almost no chance of making the 53 man squad.

Call it rose colored glasses, but I'll be surprised if Carter doesn't make the team. He'll have to completely crap the bed not to at least make the PS, but frankly, I don't see that happening because some other team will find a spot on their roster for him.

He is a much better prospect than you give him credit for.

Last edited:
Don't expect these from being cut:
--Kaczur: insurance on OL if healthy
--Sanders: insurance among Safety group
-- Crumpler: leadership

Remember also that rosters might be expanded -- and while rookies will primarily benefit -- the game day rosters are likely to be domianted by veterans due to abbreviated/rushed Training Camps and lack of Off-season camps. So, Cap issues have to be rebalanced against need for veterans on game days.

Actually, I do expect Kaczur to be cut. With the addition of Solder and already having Maneri and LeVoir, I can see the Pats parting ways with Kaczur. Or trading him.

I agree about Sanders and Crumpler not being cut.

So the player is inactive. There hasn't been a season in BBs tenure where he's started with less than 4 OTs on the Active Roster. As for the OGs moving out, the only OG capable of that is Mankins, maybe. Neither Ohrnberger nor Connolly have been OTs in their careers.

You put Dowling down as a CB. Most people feel he'll be a safety in the long run. I think it will be hard for the Pats to carry 9 DBs this year, unless they go short on the D-line.

I think it will be hard for the Pats to carry 9 DBs this year, unless they go short on the D-line.

Depends what you consider short. Seven DL was the norm for a while, wasn't it? I could see them going back to that this coming season, and I have Pryor not making the team.

Depends what you consider short. Seven DL was the norm for a while, wasn't it? I could see them going back to that this coming season, and I have Pryor not making the team.

Perhaps if he is still battling injury issues, but Pryor is a fine pass rushing sub DL. Especially considering all the questions about NE's pass rush, it seems unlikely NE would toss one of their better rushers aside.

Perhaps if he is still battling injury issues, but Pryor is a fine pass rushing sub DL. Especially considering all the questions about NE's pass rush, it seems unlikely NE would toss one of their better rushers aside.

As far as actual pressure goes, Pryor was outdone last season by Wright, Wilfork, Love, GWarren, and Stroud (on the Bills). He only beat out Deaderick and Brace (and TWarren's likely production), but those three all have 3-4 DE value, where Pryor really has no base 3-4 value.

My projected lineup:
Wilfork as starting NT
TWarren as starting DE
One of Brace, Deaderick, GWarren, Stroud as starting DE
Wright as subpackage DT
Love as subpackage DT and backup NT
Two more of Brace, Deaderick, GWarren, Stroud as backup DEs

Kaczur is a guy I could see getting cut. But I think if it happens it will be more about the kind of player he is coming back from injury rather than his cap number. He is gonna be 32 when the season starts and is coming back from a rather serious back injury, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the same player.

However, if he comes back at full strength I would be surprised if they let go of him. Right now Vollmer is the only proven tackle they have and Kaczur has started 62 games for them. I dont know what either Maneri or LeVoir have ever done to make you think they could beat him out. I'm not saying it's not possible, just at this point it seems like a stretch to me.

As for the D lineman, I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to go with only 7 DLs, provided they have another guy on practice squad. That said, I disagree that Pryor gets cut. With only 7 roster spots I think Brace and Love are competing for one spot. There skill sets are too similar IMO. Let them fight it out in training camp and hopefully we can trade the loser for a late round pick.

As far as actual pressure goes, Pryor was outdone last season by Wright, Wilfork, Love, GWarren, and Stroud (on the Bills). He only beat out Deaderick and Brace (and TWarren's likely production), but those three all have 3-4 DE value, where Pryor really has no base 3-4 value.

My projected lineup:
Wilfork as starting NT
TWarren as starting DE
One of Brace, Deaderick, GWarren, Stroud as starting DE
Wright as subpackage DT
Love as subpackage DT and backup NT
Two more of Brace, Deaderick, GWarren, Stroud as backup DEs

I don't get the point of your post at all. What do you mean by "beat"? Pryor was battling a back injury all year, which was one of the big reasons why NE's pass rush lagged at times. On top of that, Pryor is a 4-3 UT, which translates as a sub rushing DT with NE, a position that Deaderick, Brace, Love, Warren and Stroud don't fit here. Only Wright and Wilfork do what Pryor does better than Pryor does, but Pryor allows Vince to get some occassional rest.

Again, Pryor isn't going anywhere unless he is hurt, IMO. Your projected lineup has a bunch of 3/4 material but is lacking in the sub 4/3.

Kaczur is a guy I could see getting cut. But I think if it happens it will be more about the kind of player he is coming back from injury rather than his cap number. He is gonna be 32 when the season starts and is coming back from a rather serious back injury, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the same player.

However, if he comes back at full strength I would be surprised if they let go of him. Right now Vollmer is the only proven tackle they have and Kaczur has started 62 games for them. I dont know what either Maneri or LeVoir have ever done to make you think they could beat him out. I'm not saying it's not possible, just at this point it seems like a stretch to me.

As for the D lineman, I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to go with only 7 DLs, provided they have another guy on practice squad. That said, I disagree that Pryor gets cut. With only 7 roster spots I think Brace and Love are competing for one spot. There skill sets are too similar IMO. Let them fight it out in training camp and hopefully we can trade the loser for a late round pick.

I think Kaczur is a goner unless he drops his cap $2mm.

I agree about Pryor, but I think you should add Deaderick in and say Brace/Love/Deaderick are fighting for 2 spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes