PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going deep to Moss on the final two plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, the dink and dunk theorists need to remember that Brady was sacked on the second play of the drive, and likely would have been even if he completed a first short pass. And Belichick apparently doesn't trust Gotti in situations he had full faith in where our former kicker was concerned. I think they thought they likely needed to be inside the 20 and not outside the 30. That changes the entire mindset.

I do think that overall the offense became too reliant on Moss through the first 12 weeks of the season. And down the stretch he faded. Some blamed the weather or the matchups, but for whatever reason he was not remotely a dominant player over the last 6 weeks of the season. Folks expected that player to return for the SB in a dome under ideal conditions. But maybe that player wasn't available. Maybe he was hurt, I don't know, but he wasn't making the kind of effort catches that stunned us early on. We had few opportunities to go to him on Sunday because of the Oline. But in the end when we managed to he didn't step up. But at the end of the day, you could say the same for lots of our players in that game. Special players make special plays on special days...most of our's didn't.

No way will the Refs call a PI in that final seconds of the great game of the year.

The NFL would never hear the end of it...

You could see this...
"NFL soldifies dynasty with hand wrapped Super Bowl Ring"

Those defenders would have needed to shoot Moss for them to call PI.

Brady would not have been sacked if he was hitting slants and outs or dumping the ball off instead of waiting for Moss to run 60 yards. They only needed to go 40 yards with 3 timeouts. With 29 seconds and quick passes that only take a few seconds you have about 4-5 plays there.

Then again, the coaching was stupid the whole game, so why shouldn't it be at the end?

They were the most difficult catches because you didn't see the ball comming. You run and hope the ball to land in your hand.

if you see the ball comming, you have a good idea where the ball will land.

Those defenders would have needed to shoot Moss for them to call PI.

Brady would not have been sacked if he was hitting slants and outs or dumping the ball off instead of waiting for Moss to run 60 yards. They only needed to go 40 yards with 3 timeouts. With 29 seconds and quick passes that only take a few seconds you have about 4-5 plays there.

Then again, the coaching was stupid the whole game, so why shouldn't it be at the end?

I think the G Men had everyone rattled by then... It was an act of despair and hope... If Moss had somehow made one of those catches, we would have talked about it until the end of our days...

Well... sometimes, you just lose a game.. We are not used to losing, especially after winning 18 in a row... Trust me, this team will be the better for it and will not take things for granted the next time they are in a SB against a "supposedly weak NFC team"...

I agree that he did NOT go up for that ball and if he did he may have had a shot at it...

guys..the only way he can jump for that ball is if he had stopped . The ball was hitting him in stride. It's a split second decision of whether the defender would get a hand on it..if he doesn't, it's a TD.

If Moss had caught one of those bombs it would have been one of the greatest plays in SB history. I can picture him in my mind stretching his arms out and catching it and running to victory.

Too bad it didn't happen.

This is what Randy Moss does, because of his ridiculous talent fans become spoiled and expect typical hail marys to be caught, and they expect him to catch balls by sprinting downfield, stopping on a dime, and jumping.

Listen, at the end of the day, we can go through all the players, including Brady, and try to make it look like they didnt rise to the challenge. IMO, you can easily argue Moss was clutch on Sunday because he did all his damage in the 4th quarter and specifically the final scoring drive, when he was desperately needed.

The pass to Moss on 3rd down, if completed, would have been the longest completion in NFL history. Not SB history, NFL history. It was offically 78 yards - a gorgeous throw!

What p*ssed me off was Moss! He was open enough to make that catch. I watched that replay about 7 times last night and he could have attempted to catch that ball. HE DIDN'T go up for it! If he jumped for it, it was a possible catch. Sure a GREAT catch, but Moss is a great player - a freak athlete. Moss did not go above and beyond himself. We needed him to go for it there. Dive, jump, go after it. He has the ability to do just that and on that pass/play he didn't go for it. Brady put the ball where it had to be - he did his job on that play. Brady threw it just ahead of him so it would not be picked, Moss had his eye on that ball for a full 3 seconds, he followed it - I saw it in slow motion, but Moss did not go after it. WHY!?

Moss dogged alot of plays at the end of the season - there I said it! I have been thinking it for weeks now and I wanted to say it. To me Moss started the year on fire, going after everything Brady threw at him, but once Moss got his mojo back in place and people started to give him all kinds of props, he seemed to get complacent. No, he didn't seem to, he DID get complacent. Jaws called him out for it after the Philly game and everyone, including Brady stood up for Moss, but he was right! Moss dogged alot of plays at the end. Maybe, just maybe that is why Brady didn't go to him much in the playoffs - even in double coverage as he had done in the regular season. Maybe Brady sensed Moss would not go for it, try hard to grab the ball out of the air and make that signature Randy Moss catch. That is why we got him - because he makes sick, crazy catches. Moss, when applying himself is sick - SICK! ...but in the end, he didn't want it more than the other team. Why? What is up with Moss. Why would he make a statement on Friday before the SB saying he was happy the season was coming to end, he said he was ready to put the season to rest! Why say it? He gets lazy - he was lazy, he dogged it.

Hey, whether he caught the ball or not, he should have at least tried -he should have because he is Randy Moss. I hope when the Pats consider resigning him, they look at that particular play and many plays at the end of the season and reconsider breaking the bank for a lazy, complacent player with the best talent in the league - so fustrating!

Not sure, but to the best of my memory the ball was a tad behind him, with Moss' momentum going forward it's impossible to jump and not go forward. What you are describing sounds more like a play where he has already slowed down or stopped!

29 seconds: Pats 26 yard line

1st down pass to Faulk 15 yards
Call time out

22 seconds: Pats 41 yard line

1st down pass to Welker 15 yards
Call timeout

15 Seconds: Giants 44 yard line

1st down pass to Welker 15 yards
Call timeout

8 Seconds: Giants 29 Yard line

Kick 46 Yard Field Goal
Win Game
Enjoy

WTF!

Too perfect .... on paper, sounds good.. However, I very much doubt they would have been able to execute this with the G Men not allowing Brady much time to do anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back