Welcome to PatsFans.com

"God Damn America"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

I am quoting more than four lines because I'm sure Wright's words are in the public domain.

Objectively, I think his words are very powerful, especially after the first paragrah. The only thing I truly disagree with was his claim that the government was involved in the HIV virus. There are a bunch of people who believe that, but they are conspiracy minded. Righties will see this as blaming others rather than taking personal responsibility; but I think there really is oppression today just as there was in the past, and that presents some big obstacles for the black community.

Jeremiah Wright controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Confusing God and Government”

Wright first makes the distinction between God and governments, and points out that many governments in the past have failed: "Where governments lie, God does not lie. Where governments change, God does not change." Wright then states:

“[The United States] government lied about their belief that all men were created equal. The truth is they believed that all white men were created equal. The truth is they did not even believe that white women were created equal, in creation nor civilization. The government had to pass an amendment to the Constitution to get white women the vote. Then the government had to pass an equal rights amendment to get equal protection under the law for women. The government still thinks a woman has no rights over her own body, and between Uncle Clarence [ Thomas ], who sexually harassed Anita Hill, and a closeted Klan court, that is a throwback to the 19th century, handpicked by Daddy Bush, Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford, between Clarence and that stacked court, they are about to undo Roe vs. Wade, just like they are about to un-do affirmative action. The government lied in its founding documents and the government is still lying today. Governments lie.”

He continued:

“The government lied about Pearl Harbor too. They knew the Japanese were going to attack. Governments lie. The government lied about the Gulf of Tonkin. They wanted that resolution to get us in the Vietnam War. Governments lie. The government lied about Nelson Mandela and our CIA helped put him in prison and keep him there for 27 years. The South African government lied on Nelson Mandela. Governments lie."

Wright then stated:

"The government lied about the Tuskegee experiment. They purposely infected African American men with syphilis. Governments lie. The government lied about bombing Cambodia and Richard Nixon stood in front of the camera, ‘Let me make myself perfectly clear…’ Governments lie. The government lied about the drugs for arms Contra scheme orchestrated by Oliver North, and then the government pardoned all the perpetrators so they could get better jobs in the government. Governments lie.... The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. Governments lie. The government lied about a connection between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein and a connection between 9.11.01 and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Governments lie.”

He spoke about the government's rationale for the Iraq War:

“The government lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq being a threat to the United States peace. And guess what else? If they don’t find them some weapons of mass destruction, they gonna do just like the LAPD, and plant the some weapons of mass destruction. Governments lie.”

Wright then commented on God and government:

"And the United States of America government, when it came to treating her citizens of Indian descent fairly, she failed. She put them on reservations. When it came to treating her citizens of Japanese descent fairly, she failed. She put them in internment prison camps. When it came to treating her citizens of African descent fairly, America failed. She put them in chains, the government put them on slave quarters, put them on auction blocks, put them in cotton field, put them in inferior schools, put them in substandard housing, put them in scientific experiments, put them in the lowest paying jobs, put them outside the equal protection of the law, kept them out of their racist bastions of higher education and locked them into positions of hopelessness and helplessness. The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, not God Bless America. God damn America — that's in the Bible — for killing innocent people. God damn America, for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America, as long as she tries to act like she is God, and she is supreme. The United States government has failed the vast majority of her citizens of African descent."
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Wright's entitled to his opinion. But I disagree with his extreme distortion of America.

At least John Kennedy said: "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

Anyway, the only solution is for blacks and whites to intermarry with God's blessing. That will solve the racial divide once and for all.

//
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

The bottom line is he hates America. And he's one of the biggest influences on Obama. I disagree with most of what Wright says here but that's irrelevant. I don't want a President who hates a lot of what America is today and I think that's what we would get with Obama.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

How many times have people posted in this forum criticizing America's taxes, social services, education, abortion laws, gay rights laws, and so on? That's the right wing form of hate. It's what Wright is talking about. You consider the majority views of blacks, gays, Hispanics, and others as unAmerican, and it's your America that Wright hates. Frankly, there's a lot I hate about your America, too.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Your excusing Wrights racism speaks very poorly of your Patters as does your acceptance of Bo relasionship with his political mentor/enabler B Ayers. I used to respect your opinions but you have turned out to be a leftist political hack whose principles are nothing more anything my side does is OK...
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Hate the sin, love the sinner. When will you ever learn. I think you just don't want to learn.

//
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't rail against taxes then finish with "GD America". If you can't see (read) the difference between his hatred vs. my wishes for improvement then you are as much of a lost cause as I think you are.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

I think there is racism in this forum. I don't think you are among them, but if you read some of the posts by right wingers, I would not be surprised if we didn't have at least some agreement. I do not agree America is racist, but I do agree that in the America to which you subscribe, there's a far greater problem of racism than in the America to which I subscribe. I would also add, because it's something this forum made me aware of, the left does have more religious intolerance than I had once realized.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

What'd you do, go back and reread some of your own posts? ;)
  10. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

You say that a lot, Fog.

What exactly is love to you? putting people with HIV in internment camps?
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My sympathies are with the majority of the people who are trying to live their lives as families, having and raising their children, and helping others whenever possible. Those who put their own selfish desires and agendas ahead of the public safety need to be segregated out of the general population to protect the majority. That is LOVE to me.

//
  12. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Is that what Jesus taught about love? If so, where? What verses?

What about alcoholics, drug addicts, prostitutes, Johns, cigarette smokers, overeaters.......are they going into internment camps also?

the person with HIV is no more a threat to you than the others are, unless you plan on having unprotected sex with them anytime soon.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Actually, it started along time ago, with CPF. Do you remember him? A straightfoward military man and conservative, who was quite religious. He made some points that made me aware that I wasn't applying the same sensitivity to religious people as I was to gays, blacks, and others.
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

People with HIV have many times infected people by not telling the others they have the disease. So far this has been prosecuted only a tiny fraction of the time because HIV has such a protected status.

Throughout history any lethal disease that is contageous has been quarantined, but the same-sex lobby has so far bullied the majority public into hiding the identities of HIV carriers. This needs to end, and carriers who pose a risk of infecting other people need to be quarantined.

//
  15. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

by your logic the person who had unprotected sex with the person who had AIDS engaged in selfish and irresponsible behavior (,is that how you said it?)
    so we should lock them up too, right?

HIV is not contagious by anything air-bornne ( or however you spell it :) )

to get it you have to have unprotected sex with that person. the person walking down the street with HIV is not a threat to you, Fog. At least not a medical threat. ;)

still, you didnt answer my questions about love and anything Jesus said.

this is what cracks me up about so many "religious" conservatives. They spew out this stuff like its from God then when you ask where they got that view, turns out its based on nothing but their political views, and they use God to back them up on it.

My Jesus doesnt turn from the lost, from the hurting, from the messy people, in fact He came to us when we were sinners, and He hung out with them during His ministry on Earth. He loved the sinners, He hung out with them when the religious people questioned how He could do so. When the mob wanted to stone the adulteress woman, He told them, he who has not commited sin may cast the first stone. Then He told her to go and sin no more, as He tells you, as He tells me.......
    but he didnt put her in an internment camp.
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So because they're policy positions that run counter to yours they amount to "hate"?

Bigot.

And that better not be infractable (like I care) because it's backed up by facts--right here in fact.

You don't know what the majority views of any of those groups really are, you just think you do--you parrot whatever the left wing talking points of the day are and think you're morally superior to everyone who doesn't think or vote as you do.
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yo, mister religious know-it-all, self-appointed expert on all things Jesus: if you believe that everything Jesus wanted to do or say is contained in the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments, I feel sorry for you. If you believe that God worked for thousands of years to prepare a people, Israel, and one begotten son, Jesus, just to have him live to the tender age of 33, remain unmarried and have no family of his own, be hounded relentlessly, then executed while a convicted murderer/thief was set free instead, then you have a lot to learn my young friend. Pray and ask God and Jesus about what I say.

People who repeatedly flout God's law to be chaste, and who engage in depraved acts of unbridled lust, fornication, and adultery are committing major sins. Those who contract a fatal disease that is easily transmittable to other people through sexual contact need to keep themselves from making sexual contact with others, or they must pay the consequences.

If that is too hard for you to understand then you have serious problems, not me.

//
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Bigot is the wrong word. There's a lot of about your America that I hate. Not it's people, but the result of its policies that leave a lot of people down and out.

I had my teenage years among real Republican conservatives. I know where many of them are coming from. And, oddly enough, I don't parrot the left wing. There are a number of areas where I think the left is inconsistent and there are a number of economic areas and even foreign policy areas where I disagree strongly with the left.
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You seem driven by "sexual politics": if it's good for your sexual agenda, it's good; if it is not good for that agenda, it is bad.

Very dangerous ground.

//
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

People who know for a fact that they have AIDS and then engage in sex with another person who has no idea that the person they are having sex with is infected should not be confined to an internment camp, They Should Be Shot Dead Than Beheaded.