PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goalline stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsfanTN

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The chargers D isnt THAT good. Sorry if someone else has already posted about this last night, but im still scratching my head when I think about it (which im already trying to forget).
What were they thinking with the type of plays called?

McD put it on Cassel's shoulders for whatever reason. Who calls 3 pass plays on the 1 yard line anyway with the backup in only his fifth real start?

poor playcalling + poor execution = no points

Last edited:
I've played on the Oline in highschool football... so I know how tough it is for some assignments...

There is no way, you can have the center block an NT by themselves without a chip block fromt he guard... the Center is always in a more reactive position after the snap and can not block a comprable NT liek that...

On that run, to not have help for the center in a Strong NT was poor line calling.

I have not seen one Pitch out called this year, or last year for the matter...

I would like to see more pitches to Morris... he's fast and has moves, we should have tested the edges on the goal line.

The chargers D isnt THAT good. Sorry if someone else has already posted about this last night, but im still scratching my head when I think about it (which im already trying to forget).
What were they thinking with the type of plays called?
yeah our D isn't as good as it was when we had merriman, you saw that last night, we're getting gashed up the middle on multiple runs, and we've still got alot of tackling issues

all those stops short of 1st down markers via big hits were something i've been missing since the 07 season.

also cromartie's been playing like a ****** since the season began

i don't know what his problem is, thank god for jammer

Cassel can run, right? I thought they would roll him out and give him the option to run or throw it.

Cassel can run, right? I thought they would roll him out and give him the option to run or throw it.
he seemed to be kicking our ass on runs last night, until that 4th down play at the goal line

I think on the 2nd down on the goal line, it was hard to tell, but it appeared that Cassel had space to run/dive in from his left side. Again, it appeared like the space was there.

I think on the 2nd down on the goal line, it was hard to tell, but it appeared that Cassel had space to run/dive in from his left side. Again, it appeared like the space was there.

yep, it appeared that way to me also. Left side was WIDE open,sucks too, a score there might have have fired up the team. That shot of Watson with his hand up, calling for the ball, had me turning my phone off.

They showed someone open on the left side(maybe Watson?),but MC couldnt see him,or cant go to more than two reads before he tucks and runs.This isnt a Cassel bashing post,we know he isnt as good as Brady,thats why he plays behind him in the depth chart.Not 100% certain,but Brady probably makes that read and throws a td.Either way,the defence ,without some kind of pass rush,is allowing the opposing

It's not even a real goalline stand when there's only one run - why the F do you pass three times with Cassel at QB ? I'm not one to blame playcalling but that was crap.

That was TERRIBLE play calling.

I'm sorry, but if you give Morris the ball 4 times to gain 1 yard, I'm pretty sure he'll get you the TD. And I think the passing calls should have been a boot leg to the right.

Sorry,hit the wrong button,anyway our lack of a pass rush is hurting this team,if they dont come up with something soon,Denver and Indy are going to drop 40+ on us.I sure hope I'm wrong.

This situation was beyond me? First and goal with Matt Cassell as your QB and you pass it 3 times? In that situation you pound it in. Run run run and if need be, run it on 4th.
This was a game changer. Awful play calling!

That was TERRIBLE play calling.

I'm sorry, but if you give Morris the ball 4 times to gain 1 yard, I'm pretty sure he'll get you the TD. And I think the passing calls should have been a boot leg to the right.

I think Koppen getting absolutely owned by Williams on the 2nd down run put them off from running on the next two plays. In hindsight it was a bad choice. Morris is a physical runner and he would've got that TD if you gave the ball to him again.

I'm not saying I agree with the playcalling but when their NT picks up your center and throwing him into the backfield as Williams did on more than one play on that goalline stand, it can't give you confidence to run on the goaline. That probably factored into the play calling.

He was coached to be a pocket passer. He can run but is not encouraged to throw on the run because as with Brady it impacts accuracy which is a cornerstone of this timing offense. Brady is not comfortable throwing on the run because his accuracy is in part a function of consistent mechanics. He did start to roll out later in the game. It's really a last resort to combat crappy pass blocking up the middle, which is the bread and butter for a pocket passer - they need to be able to step up without stepping into pressure or they can't really set for either the deep or pinpoint laser throw. That's how Brady ended up with a zipper in his knee.

They also don't want Cassel to get hurt trying to scramble for yardage. I think they see that as a failure of the system and potential for disaster waiting to happen. It's really the kind of adjustment they see here as a last ditch resort for that reason and relying on it is a sign of desperation and a potential detrement to true development for a QB in this system.

Our defense is a bigger worry than Cassel right now. Your priorities are screwecd up.

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE play calling there. I would have zero complaints if they ran it four times in a row for no gain instead of putting the ball in the hands of the the guy who has shown repeatedly CAN NOT get it done in the red zone ( or any other zone for that matter ).

They also don't want Cassel to get hurt trying to scramble for yardage. I think they see that as a failure of the system and potential for disaster waiting to happen. It's really the kind of adjustment they see here as a last ditch resort for that reason and relying on it is a sign of desperation and a potential detrement to true development for a QB in this system.

I hate to say it but for the 1st time in my life I'm hoping for another Mo Lewis hit. Cassel is god awful. How many times per game are we going to see Cassel look at his 1st read panic when its covered, wet himself & take yet another sack while trying to "scramble". Cassel is THE WORST scrambler I've ever seen he just has zero clue where the defenders are coming from.

Also for the love of god you CAN NOT overthrow Moss, how many times are we going to see easy Moss TD's turned into incompletes or picks because Cassel badly underthrew him??

Inept playcalling. Some say the Defense is the biggest worry but until midway through the 3rd quarter I could only pin 10 points on them. After that Goal line stand the team was demoralized and the gates blew open. McDaniels is the biggest worry on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes