Welcome to PatsFans.com

Go Evangelicals!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Now you all know me and evangelicals (and fundamentalists of any kind) have our differences, but this makes me happy. I don't think Jesus would spend all his time fighting gay marriage when there's so much social injustice in the world.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/14/evangelical.rift/index.html
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. iguide

iguide Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He happens to be correct.
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Pujo, I'm not missing your point, but on a side note i think Jesus can multi-task
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No argument there, which is why it's strange that evangelicals in America have exclusively focused on gay marriage, abortion, and abstinence. What about everything else Jesus cared about, like the poor?

I don't think the problem is that evangelicals don't care about those issues, but rather that the most extreme of them have been allowed to speak for the whole lot (just like in the Muslim world). It sounds like the moderates are starting to take their religeon back.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

All Religions:
    People that get to wrapped up in Organized Religion where it drives them to the point that they become obsessed can be very dangerous people, it is one thing to quietly worship to your own God but when you start to tell your neighbor that he should run his life according to your beliefs then it is time for you mind your own buisness, religion can be very dangerous to some people.

Look what religion has done to the Muslims.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Those people, you know, the "Jesus Freaks", probably donate more money and time to charities in a week than you and I donate in a year. The problem with the cry for the poor is that everyone thinks it should be a government problem. Poverty is partly government, but should be more about individual accountability and activism. Blank checking for the "sake of the poor" is a loser policy. Of course, considering you have no problem with the government spending my money for illegal aliens, I'm sure you don't care if they spend more of it to ensure that we have handouts for even the lazy.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I wasn't talking about government programs, I was talking it even being their focus. And I don't think James Dobson spends a lot of his time contributing to charity.
  8. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He wasnt talking about James Dobson, he was talking about your average Evangelic Christian.

I agree with your earlier point that the average EC isnt spoken for by the Falwell, Roberstson, and Dobsons of the world. The non-Christians and the media would like you to believe otherwise, but the average EC is concerned about the same things Jesus would be, the poor, peace, the environment. 40% of Evangelical Christians are Democrats ( driven a great deal by Black Christians, of whom 80% are Democrats. Again, the media and non-christians like to ignore that.

but as far as giving goes, your average Bible reading Evangelical Christian is taught over and over again to give more than to receive. And RW's point is very true that forcing the government to give through taxes is no more noble than the enormous amounts given anonymously to all sorts of charities out of pocket by just about every EC I know of.

I'd be interested in the thousands of dollars you forked over out of your pocket last year to help the poor.

Liberals are great for giving 5 bucks to a homeless guy, in front of someone of course, and then going on about how the government should help everyone, and then poke fun at Christians, most of whom give tons of money without fanfare, directly to people in need, because that they are directed to do by their Lord.
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How many TRILLIONS of dollars has the U.S. collected from taxpayers and then turned around a doled it out to all kinds of gifts for the poor, the needy, the sick??? Many, many. Have any of those TRILLIONS ever solved the *root causes* of divorce, family break-down, fatherless children, family violence, AIDS and a hundred other sexual diseases?? No, they have not.

Now we see that a lot of health problems -- both physical and mental -- result from bad choices in using drugs, alcohol, and sex.

America allowed the free-sex industry to grow unhampered from the 1950s, with Hugh Hefner and his fellow free-sex "evangelicals" leading the charge, gathering more followers by the day. After all, it was so *easy* to do, and so much "fun"; who could be bothered with the consequences???

So now people have come down to earth to say: we have re-studied the issue and it's time for a different approach.

But you don't like that!! You want only the evangelicals of the Playboy and Hustler churches of free sex, but you don't like the church of absolute true love and self-control; in fact, you want to squash it. That's wrong.

//
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

If you watched the news, you'd think that 99% of evangelicals voted for George Bush.

As for the part about the poor, I couldn't agree more. I have no problems with the government having emergency programs, or some form of assitance policy to help those in need, or anyone who may hit a down turn in their lives. The elderly, handicapped, disabled, etc... Where I have an issue is with people like Patters who feel that the government should blank check every single mother, or lazy person simply because they choose to be irresponsible. If people want to help anyone and everyone, then they should do it with their own time and money, and not everyone elses. I don't say this because I don't care about people, or have no compassion (typical charge by you know who), I say it because there has to be a cut off somewhere. People need to learn to be accountable, and responsible for themselves. I shouldn't be able to stay home and have my life taken care of with someone elses money.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

and for the 7th time in my life, Harry has posted a thread I can understanad, and mostly agree with. Its well thought out, has a beginning a middle and an end!

Three cheers!
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

I get like that when I smoke pot.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Bong hits for JESUS!
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

interesting sentiment, Harry... we have at least one of those kinds of people right here in this forum... it's too bad, however, that despite your feelings on religion, you never call him on his religious lunacy here because he's your political ally... thus, it really is empty rhetoric....
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:woohoo:

Thought you had Harry blocked!! Liar, liar, pants on fire!!

//
  16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, i do, moron... but i can see what he says on the rare occassion someone actually quotes him... i won't expect you to apologize for calling me a liar... nonetheless, you are rather sorry...
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So you don't actually have him blocked because you do read what he says when someone quotes him.

Guess I'll have to include Harry quotes in all my posts from now on. Just so you can get some education.

:D

//