PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GM Excel Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Updated players. The cap numbers are a little out of whack since all the new players don't have cap numbers reported yet, so I wouldn't use this version for cap calculation purposes. If you really want to, subtract 500k from the bonus adjustment and fill in your projected cap hits.

This one's best for tracking your projected 53 man roster, since I expanded 'roster' spots all the way to 90 men.

Can't upload it here again for some reason, so get it here: http://rghost.net/45606909

Version 1.45

Added all UDFAs, and as per Miguel's suggestion I filled in estimated salaries for the draft picks. I put in a generic "$50,000" for all the UDFAs as it really doesn't matter - they won't count for the 51 person cap. Remember that yellow means an educated guess.

Also made it more futureproof and made enough room so you don't have to stash players on the PS just to be able to hit 90 men.

I highly suggest everyone update to this one, if only to make your life easier once Bill adds another TE and you realize you don't have room to add anyone there.

Some aesthetic cleanup too.

Attachments

• Pats 2013 1.45.zip
    21.1 KB · Views: 9
Wow, just looking at this data in spreadsheet forms give an entirely different perspective. There's really not that much money to go around, and those 8 figure salaries are absolute killers!

You may want to add a spot for Quentin Hines being on IR and maybe account for Gronk starting the season on PUP.

You may want to add a spot for Quentin Hines being on IR and maybe account for Gronk starting the season on PUP.

Fixed and updated. I'll leave roster management decisions like PUP for users of the spreadsheet though. I did Hines to IR.

Thanks!

1.47 - Roster updates and some updated salaries.

Attachments

• Pats 2013 1.47.zip
    21 KB · Views: 4
Big Update! Version 2.0 for 2014.

All values are taken from PatsCap as usual. I've changed around the equations - the cap hits and dead money numbers will autoupdate when Miguel updates them if you allow the macros to run.

I'm also trying to add a new feature where any real life Patriots not on your projected Roster sit in. This would include new Patriots recently signed if, for example, you made your roster and the Patriots signed Larry Fitz the next day. It's very difficult to do so, however, so we'll see. Placeholder is on the side.

As of now, all real life dead money and real life 2014 cap hits will be kept updated automatically. However, if you remove a player you must manually add to the dead money hit. This will make it so the dead money is no longer automatic. If you understand excel, what you can do is to add the dead money of the player you 'cut' to the existing equation to keep it kosher. If not, just delete the equation and keep track manually.

New players you add that the Pats don't actually have require their cap values be added manually of course - the spreadsheet will take your word for the value and add it to the calculations. If a player is signed and the cap hit doesn't automagically show, just insert the equation I provided in the notes and the spreadsheet will look it up for you. It depends on Miguel's page, so all credit goes to him.

Hope it makes sense. Happy GMing!

Attachments

• Pats 2014 2.0.zip
    42.3 KB · Views: 15
Big Update! Version 2.0 for 2014.

All values are taken from PatsCap as usual. I've changed around the equations - the cap hits and dead money numbers will autoupdate when Miguel updates them if you allow the macros to run.

I'm also trying to add a new feature where any real life Patriots not on your projected Roster sit in. This would include new Patriots recently signed if, for example, you made your roster and the Patriots signed Larry Fitz the next day. It's very difficult to do so, however, so we'll see. Placeholder is on the side.

As of now, all real life dead money and real life 2014 cap hits will be kept updated automatically. However, if you remove a player you must manually add to the dead money hit. This will make it so the dead money is no longer automatic. If you understand excel, what you can do is to add the dead money of the player you 'cut' to the existing equation to keep it kosher. If not, just delete the equation and keep track manually.

New players you add that the Pats don't actually have require their cap values be added manually of course - the spreadsheet will take your word for the value and add it to the calculations. If a player is signed and the cap hit doesn't automagically show, just insert the equation I provided in the notes and the spreadsheet will look it up for you. It depends on Miguel's page, so all credit goes to him.

Hope it makes sense. Happy GMing!

Just that you can see that it works - I have made Tom Brady's cap number $16,800,000 for the time being,

Just that you can see that it works - I have made Tom Brady's cap number $16,800,000 for the time being,

Works perfectly! The only other thing I'm worried about is how it handles added/subtracted players. The spreadsheet copies the tables you have on your webpage to a hidden tab and uses it as the basis for its calculations. It's supposed to add/subtract rows as necessary on its internal copy to sync up to your webpage, but I worry that it'll throw off all the positional references I use. Excel does have a feature to handle this precise issue but we'll see.

I also noticed the zip file doesn't open natively in Win 8.1 though. So here's a working copy if yours isn't opening. You can also just open the old zip with 7zip or WinRar.

Attachments

• Pats 2014 2.0.zip
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
Version 2.1!

The "Unaccounted For" feature has now been added. You must enable macros for this to work.

This file will automatically monitor the real life roster and populate a list of players signed in real life that you haven't account for. If you 'cut' a player that hasn't been cut in real life, he will also appear there. Cut and paste the name into the position charts to account for him. If you wanted to cut him, just leave him there.

Other changes since the last version:

-Marcus Forston was listed twice, throwing off cap numbers.
-For some reason, Brice Schwab and Jonas Grey weren't appearing. That is now fixed.
-More robust equations. I am still worried how the spreadsheet will react to Miguel adding new players, but we'll see once the Pats add someone. They should automagically drop into the unaccounted for list as soon as Miguel updates his page and you close and re-open the spreadsheet. Alternatively, run the auto-open macro.
-A How To Use tab with some brief explanations for new users.

In the next version, the spreadsheet will automatically add to the dead money when you 'cut' a player.

Learned a lot about Excel making this one. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Attachments

• Pats 2014 2.1.zip
    69.6 KB · Views: 15
Version 2.1!

The "Unaccounted For" feature has now been added. You must enable macros for this to work.

This file will automatically monitor the real life roster and populate a list of players signed in real life that you haven't account for. If you 'cut' a player that hasn't been cut in real life, he will also appear there. Cut and paste the name into the position charts to account for him. If you wanted to cut him, just leave him there.

Other changes since the last version:

-Marcus Forston was listed twice, throwing off cap numbers.
-For some reason, Brice Schwab and Jonas Grey weren't appearing. That is now fixed.
-More robust equations. I am still worried how the spreadsheet will react to Miguel adding new players, but we'll see once the Pats add someone. They should automagically drop into the unaccounted for list as soon as Miguel updates his page and you close and re-open the spreadsheet. Alternatively, run the auto-open macro.
-A How To Use tab with some brief explanations for new users.

In the next version, the spreadsheet will automatically add to the dead money when you 'cut' a player.

Learned a lot about Excel making this one. Hope you guys enjoy it.

How about testing this?

I will add John Doe to the Top 51 list with a cap hit of $1,000,000.

John Doe has been added.

John Doe has been added.

Ok, I've detected some errors already. Working on them now - first off all the fact that since the Unaccounted for macros run before the data refresh John Doe wasn't put in the Unaccounted for column.

Version 2.2

New Features:

1.) 'Cut by You' list. Cut and paste a player to this list and his dead money charge will automatically be found and taken into account by the cap calculator!
2.) Rewrote and extended the 'How to Use' section and made it the first and default tab. The overall spreadsheet should be MUCH more user friendly with these explanations.

Fixes:

1.) Spreadsheet adds unaccounted for players on first start. On old version, it took a save and another start.
2.) Cap hit look up mechanism now can accommodate the 90 man roster.

Special thanks to Miguel for adding 'John Doe' to his website. Revealed a lot of problems I was able to fix.

Too big to upload as a zip file, so I uploaded it here:

Pats 2014 2.2.xlsm ? RGhost ? file sharing

Message to Mods: Can you allow me to edit my original post? People are downloading the original.

Doc, I would IM Ian.

Version 2.3

Fixes

-Updated Salary Cap to 133,000,000
-Miguel made some changes to his page which threw off some of the lookup mechanisms. Updated to reflect his changes. Trying to figure out how to make it more adaptable in the future, as it currently copies information from the tables in numerical order - which means changing the number of tables on the webpage makes it copy the data from the wrong place.
-Minor UI fixes

I haven't been able to talk to Ian about increasing the size of zip file attachments - the spreadsheet exceeds the limit! Uploaded here:

Pats 2014 2.3.xlsm ? RGhost ? file sharing

Version 2.3

Fixes

-Updated Salary Cap to 133,000,000
-Miguel made some changes to his page which threw off some of the lookup mechanisms. Updated to reflect his changes. Trying to figure out how to make it more adaptable in the future, as it currently copies information from the tables in numerical order - which means changing the number of tables on the webpage makes it copy the data from the wrong place.
-Minor UI fixes

I haven't been able to talk to Ian about increasing the size of zip file attachments - the spreadsheet exceeds the limit! Uploaded here:

Pats 2014 2.3.xlsm ? RGhost ? file sharing

Man this truly is a great resource.

Have you thought about just creating a Google Spreadsheet and sharing it .. and making it available to copy?

Man this truly is a great resource.

Have you thought about just creating a Google Spreadsheet and sharing it .. and making it available to copy?

A lot of the magic works with VBA code which I don't think Google Spreadsheet supports unfortunately :/

I would love to turn it into a cloud based/web based resource though. Unfortunately I'm not much of a web coder.

Glad you enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey