PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GM Excel Spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the low cost of our draftees this year, $4M should be fine. Miguel may have a better estimate. I have used as high as $6M in previous years. But, as I say, late restructures can relatively easily cover all these costs.

In addition to mankins, we could always restructure Wilfork to send just a couple of million into next year, rather than a full restructure which is clearly a bad idea. Or we could extend Wilfork.

Care to share a rough number for the sum of the costs you wrote in your first paragraph? I'll just lump them into one Miscellaneous box.

They're not paid in preseason? Or do those numbers not count for cap?
NFL players are paid for their preseason work. However, preseason pay does not count against the cap.

Last edited:
There are the two players not included in the cap.

Accounted for in his workbook
There the rookies.
Also accounted for

There is an in-season injury fund. There is paying for players put on IR during camp, and the cost of their replacements.

I would use one number for this. 3 million should suffice.

Miguel, can you give an explanation of how the two player exempt from the cap works? Is it just the two lowest paid players on the 53? That's what I've read in searches across this forum, but it seems a little simplistic

Miguel, can you give an explanation of how the two player exempt from the cap works? Is it just the two lowest paid players on the 53? That's what I've read in searches across this forum, but it seems a little simplistic

That is right. Right now until right before the season opener there is a Top 51 rule in effect. That is, a team's cap consists of
its dead money,
the cap hits of the players with the 51st highest cap numbers
the cap hits of all other players minus their salaries.

Example
Patriots has 60 players.
The salaries of the 9 players with the 9 lowest cap figures do not count against the cap but everything else that counts against the cap (prorated signing bonus, roster bonus, offseason workout bonus) does. These players typically have the rookie salary.

This mechanism allows team to sign 80 plus players for the training camp and preseason.

It is that simple.

Until the season starts, the bottom 2 of the 53 are not counted against the cap.

Thanks guys, I updated the workbook to reflect the 3 million 'fund' with a little note explaining not to worry if you get too close to the cap by that amount, since simple restructures can take care of it.

I'll hold off on releasing it until some other players are released or new information comes in that needs updating. Don't think it's too pressing at the moment.

As you say, we will have more info in the next week or so.

I think that we need to remember that the cap number if a player is on the team is NOT equal to the cap savings of cutting him.'

Cap savings can be complicated. For example, Lloyd's current cap is $4.5M. We could avoid his salary, and bonuses for a total of $5.0M.

However, we would still have dead money of $2M (what's left of his original bonus) spread over this year and next. The total cap savings for this year is $3.5M

This thread is awesome, probably my personal favorite on the board right now. Granted, I'm a bit of a numbers nerd - but its nice to see everything laid out clearly here. Great to hear you guys go back and forth on the workings on the cap.

One small note: Not sure if you have updated for this yet, but the cap was set at $123M (NFL sets 2013 salary cap at $123M, up from $120.6M - NFL.com)

Also, based off of Bedard's sunday notes: your #'s are just about spot on, overall:

The Patriots, after Tom Brady’s restructure, had $24.99 million available. That puts them with the eighth-most cap space in the league.

I know that the Pats have something like 53 players under contract. And I know that they have Welker, Talib, Vollmer, Thomas and Edelman (PR/WR3) as FAs, so there are holes in the "starting" ~30 players, neglecting backup depth. The problem with how far below the cap a team is is that we don't know how many of their "starting" ~30 core players are and are not covered by the cap. Easy to draw the wrong conclusions.

Version 1.4

Changes:

Instituted a Top 51 Cap hit to more accurately represent the cap, especially now that there's going to be a lot more players.

Updated with most current numbers, with guesstimates to fill in the rest.

My cap room estimate using Miguel and Spotrac numbers are $14,569,115

I can't upload it for some reason, so get it here: Pats 2013 1.4.zip

Thanks for this Doc. It makes for great reading/viewing regarding future moves the Patriots are positioned to make.

After taking a look at the "You be the GM" thread, I decided it'd be far easier if you could do all the legwork in an excel spreadsheet.

So I made one. I'm sure some of you have your own versions, but I decided to make one for everyone else. If you have any additions or upgrades, feel free to add it on and reupload.

I added the current roster, positions, ages, and set up the spreadsheet so it automatically counts the numbers of players per position. There are two tabs - base and projected. Base is the current as of now roster and projected is exactly the same, but it allows you to change the roster around without making any changes you can't easily reverse by duplicating the base tab again.

I also instituted a 'cap hit' feature that allows you to enter in the cap hit for the year. I did it for all currently signed players barring Jake Ballard and Jason Vega, whose numbers I could not find. I copied my cap hit numbers from from spotrac.com

You can copy paste your work fairly easily, but I'm working on making it more readable to the forum. I'm eager to see what you guys come up with.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Zm6n7H2.png

It's attached as a zip file. Extract and open with Excel or OpenOffice Calc

Dude this is freakin great

Updated again to 1.42.

Changes:

1.) More robust way of figuring out the Top 51 (copying and pasting a lot sometimes messed things up, so I made some changes to the way it was calculated).

2.) Added Sebastian Vollmer contract.

3.) Filled in everyone's 'role' on the team more extensively rather than just basic position. This isn't really 'official' and are based more on my observations than anything else, so take them with a grain of salt. I added them more so you can keep track of who you have and who you need when you are roster building.

My calculations show $12,447,448 left.

Attachments

• Pats 2013 1.42.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 15
You should include the LTBE/NTLBE adjustment of $1,048,430 into your calculations. The Patriots rolled over 5,607,914. Add those two numbers to the league cap of $123,000.000 and you get the Patritos adjusted cap of $129,656,344

My numbers and your numbers for the following players differ.
Talib (I believe that you are overstating his roster bonus amount). His roster bonus is dependent on the number of games he played in 2012.
Donald Jones - Ditto
Svitek - Ditto
Gregory - I have him with a $375K LTBE. You do not.
Chandler Jones - I have him as 1,857,613. You have him as $1,857,302.00
Myron Pryor - You have hims as $715,000. I have him at $630,000. The latter is the salary with 3 credited seasons. 2011 did not count as a credited season for Pryor since he was only on the active roster for 2 games. You need 3 games to get credit for the season in the minimum salary calculation.

One more difference is that I have a Rob N earning a 900K LTBE

You should include the LTBE/NTLBE adjustment of $1,048,430 into your calculations. The Patriots rolled over 5,607,914. Add those two numbers to the league cap of $123,000.000 and you get the Patritos adjusted cap of $129,656,344

Thank you, I forgot all about those and have included them into cap calculations with an explanation.

My numbers and your numbers for the following players differ. Talib (I believe that you are overstating his roster bonus amount). His roster bonus is dependent on the number of games he played in 2012.

Fixed.

Donald Jones - Ditto

We have the same numbers. I believe I took them from you :D

Svitek - Ditto
Gregory - I have him with a $375K LTBE. You do not.

Fixed.

Chandler Jones - I have him as 1,857,613. You have him as $1,857,302.00

That figure was taken from Spotrac. Do you know why they differ? If you feel your numbers are more accurate I'll certainly replace them with yours.

Myron Pryor - You have hims as $715,000. I have him at $630,000. The latter is the salary with 3 credited seasons. 2011 did not count as a credited season for Pryor since he was only on the active roster for 2 games. You need 3 games to get credit for the season in the minimum salary calculation.

Fixed, along with Ninko's. Thank you very much! Awaiting your response before I post the newest one. I also made some aesthetic changes.

Doc, simple suggestion for your next version: take out the ,000.00's. It will read much more easily if stated as thousands of dollars, like most financial statements are. Also, it will help you avoid inconsistencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back