PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Globe Sources: Brady tore ACL and MCL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/09/10/sources_brady_tore_acl_and_mcl/

Sources: Brady tore ACL and MCL
Patriots QB will have surgery in a month, face 6-9 months of rehab afterwards
By Shira Springer
Globe Staff / September 10, 2008

Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and torn medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his left knee, NFL sources confirmed today. Medical tests on the knee, including an MRI performed Monday, indicated no damage to other knee ligaments and no torn cartilage. The typical course of action for such an injury is to wait 4-6 weeks for the MCL tear to heal, then reconstruct the ACL. Brady will likely undergo surgery in approximately one month and face 6-9 months of recovery and rehabilitation, barring any complications.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty good news. Not as good as just one ligament but additional stuff would have been more worrisome. For comparison, Carson Palmer tore his ACL and MCL but also tore cartilage and dislocated his kneecap.

I can tell you one thing - Brady WILL be at the start of training camp in july of 2009

Anyone who wants to bet me he won't be ready to go at that time is welcome to wager whatever they wish.....

Um, didn't Culpepper tear both?

That's pretty good news. Not as good as just one ligament but additional stuff would have been more worrisome. For comparison, Carson Palmer tore his ACL and MCL but also tore cartilage and dislocated his kneecap.

Ligament damage isn't nearly as bad as the latter two ailments, as I can personally attest. There's no reason he can't come back and be the same player he always was, if this is in fact true.

Good to hear that there was no cartilage damage. It's always better to have as few complications as possible. There have been reports about a broken bone as well - I wonder if anybody's heard if that's true as well? If it's only two torn ligaments I think that really improves the prognosis - knees blowing up with broken bones, torn cartilage, torn ligaments, dislocations, etc., well, shudder.

Agreed... I initially started feeling worse when I saw it...then I realized that either way he's on IR so he's done for the year.

For comparison, Carson Palmer tore his ACL and MCL but also tore cartilage and dislocated his kneecap.

And started opening day the next year, despite his injury occuring four months later than Brady's. Bad yes but could have been a lot worse.

Well this is good news. The angle of the hit said definitely MCL. IR said definitely ACL. Nothing further is the best news we've gotten this week.

Yes but he was bad before he got hurt plus he didn't do a rehab consistent with what most doctors recommend. If Brady has surgery on 10/1 that puts him about 4 months ahead of when Phillip Rivers tore his ACL.

Yes, and since Brady is in every other respect a clone of Daunte Culpepper, we should all be very, very worried.

Seriously, enough about Daunte Culpepper. The dude was an IDIOT as a QB and relied on his physical skills. When those were gone and he didn't have Moss anymore, it's easy to see why he sucked ass.

I clicked your link,yes the Manning boys look like they feel out of the ugly goober tree and hit every branch on the way down.

He tore both along with his PCL. Culpepper also had cartlidge damage. Much more severe than what Brady apparently has.

Last edited:
It's good news......... Tear is a pretty broad description. the fact that the MCL is not gonna be repaired surgically and left to heal on it's own, pretty much means that its a minor tear. No cartilage damage is HUGE.

He'll be back practicing in 10 months. Probably have an abbreviated camp, and be ready for the opener. Then the big ?? will be do we go with the HOF QB, or the 2009 SB MVP QB. Can you say quarterback controversy. :D

He tore both along with his PCL ligament. Culpepper also had cartlidge damage.

Okay, thank God. At least Brady's isn't as serious. And by the way, I could not care less about Culpepper. The injuries just sounded similar which is why I was asking.

Culpepper injury was to three ligaments:
Culpepper, 28, sustained damage to the three major ligaments in the knee -- the anterior cruciate, posterior cruciate and medial collateral.

http://wcco.com/vikings/Daunte.Culpepper.injury.2.352612.html

Then he had another surgery a year later:
DAVIE, Fla. -- Daunte Culpepper underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday to remove a piece of cartilage that has hampered his recovery from reconstructive surgery a year ago.

The problem was discovered when Culpepper was examined Wednesday by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala.

"Behind his kneecap there was a little piece of articular cartilage that was causing some catching," coach Nick Saban said. "That's what was causing the problem.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2681426

Culpepper's injury happened later in the year and he rushed back and it was three ligaments not two, plus he always carried too much weight for his frame. So when people say it's the same thing, no it's not. The only similarity is that they both suffered season ending knee injuries.

Last edited:
Good job with all these posts...heard the news earlier today but it wasn't complete.

Okay, thank God. At least Brady's isn't as serious. And by the way, I could not care less about Culpepper. The injuries just sounded similar which is why I was asking.

Well, fair enough, but even if they were exactly the same, it wouldn't mean Brady would become Culpepper 2.0. There are too many other variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back