PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Globe Patriots page infected with Shaugnessy and MacMullan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoodie, I have to disagree. Some have insinuated about steroids in a very general way, but to ask about that to a player that's never tested positive is almost like accusing them with no evidence.

She would never get a good interview with anyone. If I were a player, I wouldn't talk to her.

No test results and no investigation makes that question almost character assassination.

We're all flawed, Hoodie. How you put up with us, I'll never know.:D

Ok so we disagree on that one. It's what makes the world go round (or is that money) but her comment about BB being flawed really ticks me off. As you say, we are all flawed. (Oh btw, I don't know how I put up with you all :D )

I quit on Jackie M after her hatchet job article on Ted Johnson and Bill Belichick.

Dan S is just a joke.

I think we all had problems with the Ted Johnson piece. It's like a jury in a malpractice suit -- you have a tragic situation, a grieving family, you get mad and want to blame somebody. But like so many medical situations, Johnson's case is more complicated than that. I doubt anyone will ever really know the relative contributions of concussions and the various drugs he put in his body (some of which he's admitted to), not to mention his own genetic makeup.

So I do understand the bitterness. BUT...MacMullan has also done some outstanding profiles of Patriots players. Her big Bruschi interview was tremendous, and her interview with Rodney this week captured his personality perfectly. The woman can write, and she draw out a subject in an interview. So it's near slander to lump her with Shaugnessy, who appears to do no work whatsoever and contributes nothing to our knowledge of Boston sports. His columns have become unreadable.

Jackie M. lost me during her ESPN Around the Horn appearance this off-season when she went ballistic regarding the Moss signing. I'd never seen anyone on that show so angry before, and it's not as if it's known for its polite debates. She seemed to take the Patriots' alleged hypocrisy so seriously and personally that she almost couldn't speak.

Sports reporters (I was one for a weekly newspaper years ago) have to remember that they're essentially entertainment reporters. The worst thing for them to imagine is that they're inconsequential, which is why BB totally ticks them off by giving them so little and going about his business without treating the press as if he needs them.

BTW - where are the good questions? Why ask more than one question about Asante if you already know you've gotten the answer? When it comes to football in general, who's a better authority right now that BB?

Patchick restores some perspective by noting recent superior work by MacMullen. So many of the posters here merely sound the the quick response, media bashing bell ringers ready to pile onto any negative mention of the Globe. Thankfully, someone like Patchick, who seems possessed by an interest in a bit of objectivity, counter balances the knee jerking crowd.

As for the poster that feels the Herald constantly outdoes the Globe - you couldn't be reading the papers very frequently because it's nearly impossible to take the Herald seriously when their articles are five or six sentences long - probably to make space for the latest front page tabloid extra they're publishing on Lindsey's and Britney's rehab.

Plus, don't forget that MacMullen is a columnist, meaning she has much more latitude than a reporter when it comes to interjecting her opinion. I didn't really get her vibe on the BB/TJ column either, but it's ironic that the collective displeasure of that piece here echoes DS's regular lampooning of how Pats fans are serious Kool-aid drinkers...

I offer no defense of DS, sorry.

Last edited:
Patchick restores some perspective by noting recent superior work by MacMullen. So many of the posters here merely sound the the quick response, media bashing bell ringers ready to pile onto any negative mention of the Globe. Thankfully, someone like Patchick, who seems possessed by an interest in a bit of objectivity, counter balances the knee jerking crowd.

I agree about Patchick's post. But frankly I'm sick of being called a "koolaid drinker" just because I object to the negativity of the Boston Sports Media. I don't need them to always write positive things about the team but they do need to be fair and balanced and DS and lately JM too often fall into the trap of spewing negativity for the sake of selling papers.

I agree about Patchick's post. But frankly I'm sick of being called a "koolaid drinker" just because I object to the negativity of the Boston Sports Media. I don't need them to always write positive things about the team but they do need to be fair and balanced and DS and lately JM too often fall into the trap of spewing negativity for the sake of selling papers.

But "negative" things happen in Boston sports, and they shouldn't be covered up to make the overall tone of the sports sections more "positive."

Jackie MacMullen's article on Ted Johnson was as important a piece of journalism as has graced the Globe sports pages in some time. The issue of concussions and their lasting affect on players is something that the NFL has been in denial about for a long time, and her story was a prominent part of a movement in sports journalism last winter to finally start giving the issue the attention it warrants.

Now, not everything that Johnson said is probably 100% accurate, but MacMullen didn't claim to be doing anything but giving his side. She also faithfully reported Belichick's point of view, wherever he offered it. I guarantee you that if she'd been given more material from the franchise's side, she would have used it -- but the Krafts couldn't go on record about it without ruffling league feathers.

I think it's a big mistake to call this article a "hatchet" or "smear" job on Belichick. Something bad happened to Johnson on Belichick's watch, and we can't just ignore it because BB will help us win more SBs and Johnson won't. I don't blame Belichick for what happened to Johnson, I blame the league's concerted effort to downplay the long-term effects of concussions and the league-wide culture this institutional disregard for the player's well-being espoused. As far as the story goes, however, BB did play his role. Johnson's story needs to be told, and BB was part of it.

I suppose, when it comes down to it, considering how long and hard the NFL has tried to suppress discussion of (and avoid paying compensation for) the long-term adverse health effects its players have been suffering, I feel that it's a little absurd to object to there being too much "negativity" in the sports section when we've been shielded from something very negative that's been going on for too long.

But "negative" things happen in Boston sports, and they shouldn't be covered up to make the overall tone of the sports sections more "positive."

Jackie MacMullen's article on Ted Johnson was as important a piece of journalism as has graced the Globe sports pages in some time. The issue of concussions and their lasting affect on players is something that the NFL has been in denial about for a long time, and her story was a prominent part of a movement in sports journalism last winter to finally start giving the issue the attention it warrants.

Now, not everything that Johnson said is probably 100% accurate, but MacMullen didn't claim to be doing anything but giving his side. She also faithfully reported Belichick's point of view, wherever he offered it. I guarantee you that if she'd been given more material from the franchise's side, she would have used it -- but the Krafts couldn't go on record about it without ruffling league feathers.

I think it's a big mistake to call this article a "hatchet" or "smear" job on Belichick. Something bad happened to Johnson on Belichick's watch, and we can't just ignore it because BB will help us win more SBs and Johnson won't. I don't blame Belichick for what happened to Johnson, I blame the league's concerted effort to downplay the long-term effects of concussions and the league-wide culture this institutional disregard for the player's well-being espoused. As far as the story goes, however, BB did play his role. Johnson's story needs to be told, and BB was part of it.

I suppose, when it comes down to it, considering how long and hard the NFL has tried to suppress discussion of (and avoid paying compensation for) the long-term adverse health effects its players have been suffering, I feel that it's a little absurd to object to there being too much "negativity" in the sports section when we've been shielded from something very negative that's been going on for too long.

If you review Bostonsportsmedia.com about that article, you will find that it was factually incorrect on several important details. Furthermore, the slant of the article accepted without criticism Ted Johnson's absurd timeline, where he claimed never to have had a professional concussion prior to the 2002 incident with BB, and then to have had THIRTY afterwards (an obvious lie so as to blame all his supposed "concussion" issues on BB). MacMullen brushed aside the possibility that this confused, addicted individual, recently run afoul of the law, and in the midst of costly divorce proceedings, was lacking in credibility and had reason to pass the blame for his actions; ignored the possibility of steroid abuse to go along with admitted drug addictions, withdrawal from which would have accounted for many of his symptoms; failed to offer an objective view of the "concussion syndrome" claim itself, which is very controversial in medical circles; on and on. MacMullen went for the easy hatchet job against BB instead of aiming for the truth, and slanted the information to the public to fit her "story".

As for the idea that she is a "columnist" and therefore should be granted latitude... That latitude is freely granted by her editors, but must be earned from readers through trust. That trust was broken when she wrote this one-sided garbage.

As for the Globe in general, maybe we should absolve their columnists for producing disingenuous pablum. They have been nurtured in an environment in which a "columnist" is expected to side with the anti-hero, undermine institutions, mock any display of traditional virtue, and despise the public for which they write. This view of the world fits nicely with the "beleaguered" TJ whose on-field toughness "betrayed him" until he was "done wrong" by the "evil" Machiavellian figure BB (who has a mob of ignorant, selfish consumers on his side) and now suffers from a dastardly new "syndrome" from which there is no escape. You could pretty much fill in the blanks for any Globe feature in any section. It's Globe journalism formula 101. There are some who will take solace in the knowledge that like so many of the institutions which they have eagerly undermined, the Globe itself is now crumbling, reaping what it has sewn: the whirlwind.

Last edited:
If you review Bostonsportsmedia.com about that article, you will find that it was factually incorrect on several important details. Furthermore, the slant of the article accepted without criticism Ted Johnson's absurd timeline, where he claimed never to have had a professional concussion prior to the 2002 incident with BB, and then to have had THIRTY afterwards (an obvious lie so as to blame all his supposed "concussion" issues on BB). MacMullen brushed aside the possibility that this confused, addicted individual, recently run afoul of the law, and in the midst of costly divorce proceedings, was lacking in credibility and had reason to pass the blame for his actions; ignored the possibility of steroid abuse to go along with admitted drug addictions, withdrawal from which would have accounted for many of his symptoms; failed to offer an objective view of the "concussion syndrome" claim itself, which is very controversial in medical circles; on and on. MacMullen went for the easy hatchet job against BB instead of aiming for the truth, and slanted the information to the public to fit her "story".

As for the idea that she is a "columnist" and therefore should be granted latitude... That latitude is freely granted by her editors, but must be earned from readers through trust. That trust was broken when she wrote this one-sided garbage.

As for the Globe in general, maybe we should absolve their columnists for producing disingenuous pablum. They have been nurtured in an environment in which a "columnist" is expected to side with the anti-hero, undermine institutions, mock any display of traditional virtue, and despise the public for which they write. This view of the world fits nicely with the "beleaguered" TJ whose on-field toughness "betrayed him" until he was "done wrong" by the "evil" Machiavellian figure BB (who has a mob of ignorant, selfish consumers on his side) and now suffers from a dastardly new "syndrome" from which there is no escape. You could pretty much fill in the blanks for any Globe feature in any section. It's Globe journalism formula 101. There are some who will take solace in the knowledge that like so many of the institutions which they have eagerly undermined, the Globe itself is now crumbling, reaping what it has sewn: the whirlwind.

It's actually kind of funny... there are easily as manny factually incorrect assertions in your post than there were in MacMullen's whole article.

First, nowhere in MacMullen's article does Ted Johnson claim to have never suffered a concussion before 2002. If you think it says that, you've misread it.

2nd, your very assertion that BSMW proved it to be "factually incorrect on several important details" is itself factually incorrect. The article raises three questions. First is the seeming inconsistency in Ted Johnson being angry at being forced to practice in August and then upset at being held out of the starting lineup for the first game of the season. This isn't a question of any factual assertion on either Johnson's or MacMullen's part, it's taking issue with Johnson's apparent ambivalence at the time. 2nd of all, BSMW itself makes a factual assertion when it cites a Borges article to support the idea that Ted Johnson shouldn't have expected to start anyway, because he hadn't been practicing. Turns out it was just Borges being Borges -- a simple perusal of the Globe from August 2002 shows that though Johnson's attendance was sporadic due to his concussion, he was there. The 2nd issue BSMW had with MacMullen's article is that she describes Johnson's 2nd concussion occuring after "mild contact" and Cafardo saying that Johnson gave Redmond "quite a hit." One of them, possibly both, were exaggerating -- neither of them were factually incorrect. The third issue BSMW has is about whether it was necessary for MacMullen to have gone out of her way to point out that Johnson had worn a no-contact jersey at his first practice after the concussion, or whether it was sufficient for her to simply correctly give the number of days between the injury and the day he claims to have been told to wear a blue jersey. I think it's a bit of a fine point for BSMW to be drawing in the first place, and, more importantly -- IT'S NOT AN ISSUE OF MACMULLEN BEING FACTUALLY INCORRECT.

So it turns out that all three of BSMW's issues with MacMullen's article were questions about full disclosure, and none of them showed MacMullen to be factually incorrect. So that's now two places where you've been shown to be factually incorrect to her zero.

You next accuse her of being "slanted" in her reporting, of brushing aside details and making faulty leaps for the purpose of performing a hatchet job on BB. This is funny, because you do far worse in your attempt to smear MacMullen + Johnson. First of all, by bringing up Johnson's divorce and prior run-ins with the law, you're acting like a prototypical defense attorney trying to discredit a witness. You accuse MacMullen of brushing these details aside when all the information you give was portrayed much more graphically in MacMullen's article -- she presented the reader with the facts necessary to come to your conclusion, she just didn't happen to be as eager to discredit Johnson as you are.

Next is where you really get rich -- by faulting MacMullen for failing to accuse a man of taking steroids who'd never tested positive for, or been in any way connected to, them during his entire NFL career. I'm sorry MacMullen didn't feel the need to broach potentially libelous territory in order to be more "fair" by accusing a former player of taking steroids out of the blue. Then you suggest that Johnson might be more prone to taking steroids because he developed an addiction to the psychiatric drugs he had been prescribed as part of treatment for his depression. That type of baseless slur on your part is far worse than anything MacMullen did in her article. (I won't even waste too much time with your dismissal of post-concussion syndrome as "controversial," considering that even the NFL is starting to concede the issue, in the face of growing medical consensus.)

Look, man -- I'm sorry if hearing Ted Johnson's take on the issue upsets you. I sympathise -- it's upsetting... but slavishly denying everything and casting aspersion on those who would raise the issue isn't the answer. You have to take a second to realize that Johnson and MacMullen weren't accusing Belichick of doing anything other than partaking in the flaws inherent in the culture of his occupation at his time. The fact is that at that point, nobody took concussions as seriously as we're starting to realize they are, and a number of former players are suffering the consequences. I, too, was angered by the national media's spinning of this article into specifically an attempt to single out BB as culpable, when it's purpose was obviously the exact opposite -- to raise awareness of something that was going on all over the NFL.

FWIW, here's the actual Ted Johnson piece:
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...7/02/02/i_dont_want_anyone_to_end_up_like_me/
It's been pretty significantly misrepresented in some posts here, maybe because we tend to remember the broadcast media's parroting of the provocative bits better than we remember the article itself.

My biggest beef with it is that Johnson claims to have suffered dozens of concussions over the course of his career (presumably including high school and college), but then tries to pin all his problems on this one single injury that he clashed with a coach over. I can understand why he'd be tempted to channel his anger that way -- it's natural to look for a bogeyman to blame -- but I think the reporter gave far to much credence to it. Overall, though, the fact that the article served as a turning point in forcing the NFL to address brain injuries balances out a lot of the negatives to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back