PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Globe circulation drops; Borges part of the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/business/article.adp?id=20060508100909990014

From the article: Several other large newspapers also reported declines, including The Boston Globe, down 8.5 percent to 397,288 ...

I don't know how much sports coverage has to do with this, but during football season I definitely will reach for the Herald before the Globe. Borges is one big reason I've stayed away.

Tell you what... I've stopped reading Globe sports and it IS because I disrespect Borges. Instead, I go to Reiss's blog and I go to the Herald.

Tunescribe said:

From the article: Several other large newspapers also reported declines, including The Boston Globe, down 8.5 percent to 397,288 ...

I don't know how much sports coverage has to do with this, but during football season I definitely will reach for the Herald before the Globe. Borges is one big reason I've stayed away.

I read an article last week and the decline is because more people are reading the news online.

Tunescribe said:

:ditto: I've taken to reading the Herald because of the sports coverage. Was a lifelong Globe reader as of a couple of years ago.

ya

rookBoston said:
Tell you what... I've stopped reading Globe sports and it IS because I disrespect Borges. Instead, I go to Reiss's blog and I go to the Herald.
:ditto: I did the same thing becuase i don't want to give any credibility (either on line or print) to the globe and the writers like borges. On the other hand Jackie Mac is a great writer--too bad she isn't with the herald!

REadership declines

This is OT.

I read the original article in the journalsitic trade journals, that looked at various newspapers over the country. The situation breaks down into this.

With the exception of the NYT which stabilized, after big, big, circulation losses in the previous period, vitually all the liberal newspapers suffered dramatic readership declines.

Preachy newspapers that automatically take an anti-American approach to everything, will inevitably suffer. Even if their opinion is correct.

Its the Dentist syndrome. Irrespective of whether they are right or wrong just how often do you want to be reminded by your Dentist to floss more, and not eat sweets that cause cavities?

There is also a steady population trend that shows the population of the US moving from old cities to the South and Southwest. Replacements by unassimilated new "immigrants" who speak and read no English, certainly doesn't help matters either. They seek their news from Spanish publications or Spanish radio and TV stations.

AzPatsFan said:
This is OT.

I agree with AzPatsFan's assessment.

As too the original suggestion it has something to do with Borges, I don't think so, although this doesn't excuse him from being a really crappy sports writer with a bitter and angry agenda.

Whether it is due to the convenience of web access to news agencies or online newspapers.... or whether it is due to the liberal slant of most major newspapers, it seems to me that people are finding their news elsewhere and the role of PRINTED newspapers is declining and will continue to do so for a while.

On the bright side (for newspapers), their online sites should retain strong readership (unless it really is their slant or their crappy reporters - in the case of Wrong Borges).

Also, the baby boom generation is getting older. There's a lot of them and old people seem to like newspapers. Therefore, I think their distribution numbers will eventually stabilize.

Tunescribe said:

Sports coverage has NOTHING to do with it. The reason is in the very first sentence of the article you posted:

more people turned to the Internet and other media outlets for news and information.

AzPatsFan said:
Preachy newspapers that automatically take an anti-American approach to everything, will inevitably suffer. Even if their opinion is correct.

:rolleyes:

Where's PATSNUTme when you need him?

Newspaper circulation is declining here in south too, and it's not because of its "anti-Americanism"... we live in a society where papers are no longer necessary. You can read any breaking news, any time of the day, on the internet, or turn on the TV, flip it to cable news and you have 24/7 blabbering about the day's events.

The Herald has some decent writers like Tony Maz', Felger, Tomase, but their Sports Section, especially the online version, is pretty thin. The articles are so short they are more fast food than anything tasty and chewable - some of the articles are literally four or five sentences.

Maybe that is what people want, but I'd rather have something more like the Globe - minus that ding dong Borges - where ideas are more often fleshed out and given some depth.

The Projo has a fine, albeit smaller, sport section that I consider far superior to the Herald.

You're right, but...

Seymour93 said:
:rolleyes:

Where's PATSNUTme when you need him?

Newspaper circulation is declining here in south too, and it's not because of its "anti-Americanism"... we live in a society where papers are no longer necessary. You can read any breaking news, any time of the day, on the internet, or turn on the TV, flip it to cable news and you have 24/7 blabbering about the day's events.

You 're correct. But when liberal papers are off from 4 -15% and on average 7-8%, and others are about the same (+ - 1%), then its not just the Internet that is affecting them; there is some other effect as well. I just choose to call it the "Dentist effect", but perpetual gloom-and-doom, everything is going to hell-in-a-handbasket, reflexive anti-Americanism, just grows tiresome. Especially when its obviously not all so. World population is stabilizing, the environment has been substantially cleaned up with more to go, and we are not currently in anything like the Great Depression.

AzPatsFan said:
This is OT.

I read the original article in the journalsitic trade journals, that looked at various newspapers over the country. The situation breaks down into this.

With the exception of the NYT which stabilized, after big, big, circulation losses in the previous period, vitually all the liberal newspapers suffered dramatic readership declines.

Its the Dentist syndrome. Irrespective of whether they are right or wrong just how often do you want to be reminded by your Dentist to floss more, and not eat sweets that cause cavities?

There is also a steady population trend that shows the population of the US moving from old cities to the South and Southwest. Replacements by unassimilated new "immigrants" who speak and read no English, certainly doesn't help matters either. They seek their news from Spanish publications or Spanish radio and TV stations.

I don't know about other states, but here in Florida they would be mostly replacing natives who can't read so the change should be negligible.:rolleyes:

AzPatsFan said:
You 're correct. But when liberal papers are off from 4 -15% and on average 7-8%, and others are about the same (+ - 1%), then its not just the Internet that is affecting them; there is some other effect as well. I just choose to call it the "Dentist effect", but perpetual gloom-and-doom, everything is going to hell-in-a-handbasket, reflexive anti-Americanism, just grows tiresome. Especially when its obviously not all so. World population is stabilizing, the environment has been substantially cleaned up with more to go, and we are not currently in anything like the Great Depression.

Your rants are giving me a "Dentist effect". This thread should be moved to where it belongs.

OhExaulted1 said:
Your rants are giving me a "Dentist effect". This thread should be moved to where it belongs.
I second that.

OhExaulted1 said:

Third here!

I'll fourth it - with my thoughts to go...

I can hardly believe my ears when I hear intelligent people recite the right wing mantra - the media is a liberal cesspool, it's all doom and gloom - and not realize they are being force fed.

The Republicans have spent their way into massive deficits, nothing Bush has proposed has proceeded as advertised, except maybe the tax cuts for the rich, and yet we're supposed to swallow the idea that it's all media hatred. That's called propaganda folks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye