PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Globe: Bethel fighting for his career

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeSixPat said:
My suggestion would be that he talk to his coaches - if he's unsure of the reason he needs to find out directly from them.
He knows, all the players are told what they need to improve at the end of each season. Either he's in denial or he'll surprise this year as the depth chart is a little more favorable and he's, presumably, healthy. The trade rumors from the offseason, though, make me suspect the latter.

After 3 years he should know what he has to do. I think he reached his potentioal and what you have is a great straight runner and a good kick returner. Can you say Tony Simmons?

JoeSixPat said:
Tell us something we don't know...

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...2006/05/22/johnson_attempts_to_break_pattern/

I feel Johson's frustration - the way the story reads he's really unsure what he could be doing to earn more playing time

My suggestion would be that he talk to his coaches - if he's unsure of the reason he needs to find out directly from them.

Hasn't Bethel been somewhat notorious for immaturity and lack of effort? The Tony Simmons comparison seems appropriate. The article shows that Bethel can talk a good game but has fallen short of taking that to the next level. Apparently he has all the tools to succeed physically.

Last edited:
the numbers game

JoeSixPat said:
Tell us something we don't know...
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...2006/05/22/johnson_attempts_to_break_pattern/
I feel Johson's frustration - the way the story reads he's really unsure what he could be doing to earn more playing time

i've heard fringe nfl players talk about it--you get into a situation where you're on an 'invisible list', it's as tho things you do in practice don't exist. then when the cutdowns happen, nobody on the coaching staff speaks up for you. so you get caught up in the numbers game, subject to being cut if the coachin dtaff decides to keep 10 DBs instead of niine.
IMO this is not common, for a player with his pedigree. he may be superfluous here, but what he also is is a good-size, very fast WR, in his prime, who's made a couple big plays up in NE. he's a valuable player, and could very well light it up in houston or KC.
IMO he's gonna have to get out of here.

BelichickFan said:
He knows, all the players are told what they need to improve at the end of each season. Either he's in denial or he'll surprise this year as the depth chart is a little more favorable and he's, presumably, healthy. The trade rumors from the offseason, though, make me suspect the latter.

''I'm doing everything I have to do every single year to make it happen," he said. ''But it's not up to me. I've asked the question for the last three years, really. Catch the ball better -- I stay and catch the ball. Run more routes -- I run more routes. Something's not there."

My vote is denial. Last season was a tough break injury wise, but whose to say he would have turned the corner had he not been injured. Remember there was lots of talk about Bethel turning over a new leaf and implanting himself under Deions wing after the 2004 season. That's the problem with not getting it done when you have the chance - sometimes you don't get that chance again.

I think Bethel was immature and ****y coming in, thought he'd get by in the pros like he did in college, on his speed. But it's precision he lacked, and I sense his focus wavers both in game situations and in practice. If he had been showing both consistently in practice BB would have found a way to get him more involved. It's not like we haven't needed WR every season he's been here. He's had chances to step up and he failed to make sufficiently consistent impressions when those opportunities arose. BB has a rule about not playing guys who have either not shown him they can do the job on the field or failed to alter that impression in practice. There are limited reps to go around and once you start to slide down the pecking order based on past performance, it's hard to regain the necessary momentum to even have the opportunity to redeem yourself.

As BB tries to tell them coming in, there are no red shirt do overs in the NFL. And I have a feeling when he reads or hears of these comments Bethel will have just made it harder on himself. He's had some of the best coaching and role models in the league and the best QB on the planet ready and willing to work with him for 4 years now. Time to look in the mirror and confront the one guy who is really causing your problems.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:

I haven't read the story yet, but I feel the coaches' frustration. He has skill, but it seems he doesn't really care to apply 110% effort.

the Patriots have **consistently** shown that they will put the best players on the field, regardless of status, salary, or draft position. If he got beat out by a 7th round pick (Givens) and can't get on the field more, then there's only one place to look -- the mirror.

World Champs 3X said:
After 3 years he should know what he has to do. I think he reached his potentioal and what you have is a great straight runner and a good kick returner. Can you say Tony Simmons?

Tony Simmons is a good example.

However I would rate Bethel a little ahead of Simmons. Bethel can come up with the big play every once in a while. But, he does need to get himself going this year so he can be atleast a 3rd or 4th on a regular basis.

If he can give the Patriots a deep option, he can draw coverage away from the other recievers. In that way he can contribute as well as making some plays himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a much more better Bethel Johnson this year

this is the RIGHT time and probably the LAST one
surely he has an opportunity - i hope he will not miss it...

otherwise this is his last chance as a Patriot IMHO

anyway i'm confident and i still believe in him
as we know he has the potential - just show it !

Amnorix said:
I haven't read the story yet, but I feel the coaches' frustration. He has skill, but it seems he doesn't really care to apply 110% effort.

the Patriots have **consistently** shown that they will put the best players on the field, regardless of status, salary, or draft position. If he got beat out by a 7th round pick (Givens) and can't get on the field more, then there's only one place to look -- the mirror.

Amen. This kid has had 3 years to show that he can produce. Does he want someone to hold his hand? David Givens says hello. This guy worked his butt off to make himself into a very good WR. Nobody held Givens hand, he made up his own mind to do it, and he was a seventh round pick.
Bethel Johnson was drafted in the second round, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I expected far more production out of him than I've seen over the three years that he's been here. He better step up, because Caldwell didn't come here to sit on the bench, and Chad Jackson wasn't drafted to sit on his butt either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't think Bethel "gets" it. It's too bad. It's obvious the coaches think he has talent and can contribute or they wouldn't have kept him on the roster for 3 years.

However, last year there were times when he was deactivated and healthy and the team could have used him. That says to me the coaches don't trust him. Yeah he's running routes but are they the right ones?

Did anyone think the pictures was weird? Bethel facing his locker instead of the camera?

MoLewisrocks said:
''I'm doing everything I have to do every single year to make it happen," he said. ''But it's not up to me. I've asked the question for the last three years, really. Catch the ball better -- I stay and catch the ball. Run more routes -- I run more routes. Something's not there."

My vote is denial. Last season was a tough break injury wise, but whose to say he would have turned the corner had he not been injured. Remember there was lots of talk about Bethel turning over a new leaf and implanting himself under Deions wing after the 2004 season. That's the problem with not getting it done when you have the chance - sometimes you don't get that chance again.

I think Bethel was immature and ****y coming in, thought he'd get by in the pros like he did in college, on his speed. But it's precision he lacked, and I sense his focus wavers both in game situations and in practice. If he had been showing both consistently in practice BB would have found a way to get him more involved. It's not like we haven't needed WR every season he's been here. He's had chances to step up and he failed to make sufficiently consistent impressions when those opportunities arose. BB has a rule about not playing guys who have either not shown him they can do the job on the field or failed to alter that impression in practice. There are limited reps to go around and once you start to slide down the pecking order based on past performance, it's hard to regain the necessary momentum to even have the opportunity to redeem yourself.

As BB tries to tell them coming in, there are no red shirt do overs in the NFL. And I have a feeling when he reads or hears of these comments Bethel will have just made it harder on himself. He's had some of the best coaching and role models in the league and the best QB on the planet ready and willing to work with him for 4 years now. Time to look in the mirror and confront the one guy who is really causing your problems.

I think Mo nailed it. Bethel's own comments point to denial:

[The 5-foot-11-inch, 200-pound Johnson, who has primarily been utilized as a deep threat, said the drop-off isn't a result of a lack of work ethic or knowledge of the team's system because he knows ''the offense like the back of my hand" and does ''everything that's necessary to be out there."]

Obviously everything HE feels that's necessary to be out there! However it would appear it's not everything that the coaching staff feels is necessary to be out there or the coaches would have already put him out there!!

He really should feel frustrated because he's definitely on the bubble (but he's also the one that put himself there). Time for Bethel to either "cowboy up" or be prepared to pack his bags. He's approaching the limit for "chances" so he needs to get productive or he's out of here. I hope he does get productive because his flashes of brilliance have been impressive but unfortunately they're not there consistently.

Last edited:
Maybe he's finally getting it....I HOPE that is the case!! Why?? Because he could be a sold deep receiver and someone who could add a whole lot to the team!! He runs kicks back with flare and even did a few good things on ST.
Here's hoping a BIG year from him is in the cards!!

I think the quotes speak volumes about why Bethel hasn't made the impact that his talent suggests he can.

If BJ just stepped it up a notch at the worst he could become a David Patten type that can also return kickoffs which would be a fairly valuable player.

Unfortunately from the sound of that article it just doesn't seem that he gets it and he doesn't seem to be talking to the right people to get his head straight.

Come on dude approach Brady or BB and find out what you need to do, because if you think you've done 'everything you need to do' to get on the field you're dead wrong.

What does Bethel have to? Stay healthy and work hard! And it would help if he could find someone on the coaching staff that has some confidence in him (not really necessary). Bethel is much better than Simmons. He DOES know the playbook. He can and has been a force as a kick returner.

As a kick returner, there is absolutel no reason for him not to make the team. Do I really want my starting CB retuning kicks, with Jackson on the other side? I'd rather be using Johnson and Pass.

As a receiver, he could be cut, #2 or #5 or anywhere in between. What he must realize is that he should act as if he is #6 on a five man squad, and work his butt off.

It does not matter how many chances he's been given. He is a talent. He has produced as a returner. He is signed up through 2007. And his chief competition for the roster is Childress. The past doesn't matter. What matters is this camp. Most likely, he'll get traded for a 6th like Looker a few years ago, but there is no really no reason for Bethel not to make the squad.

Amnorix said:

I was being facetious when I said I feel his frustration ;)

There's no way the coaches keep this a "secret" from him... he knows exactly what he needs to do... either he can't do it or he won't

I mean - really how can you say you don't know what more you can be doing? And if you don't how can you tell a reporter that you haven't had a conversation with the coaches about how perplexed you are.

You just can't be a wallflower on this team

He's getting one last chance only because he's a 2nd round pick

Last edited:
He may ot may not make the squad....it all depends... I agree if he looks at it like he's a 6th and works his butt off, then he'll be here and maybe move up to a 2nd or 3rd WR. He has talent, just isn't at all consistent with it. I wish him the absolute best, because the team NEEDS to have him have a solid year!! I am not sure if it is just one person he is battling because if there are other receivers that so more, then he may be gone. They may trade him and give him a new start somewhere else...and that MIGHT be what is needed. It is really up to him to see where he is on the depth chart. I wish him well in the TC battle.

mgteich said:
What does Bethel have to? Stay healthy and work hard! And it would help if he could find someone on the coaching staff that has some confidence in him (not really necessary). Bethel is much better than Simmons. He DOES know the playbook. He can and has been a force as a kick returner.

As a kick returner, there is absolutel no reason for him not to make the team. Do I really want my starting CB retuning kicks, with Jackson on the other side? I'd rather be using Johnson and Pass.

As a receiver, he could be cut, #2 or #5 or anywhere in between. What he must realize is that he should act as if he is #6 on a five man squad, and work his butt off.

It does not matter how many chances he's been given. He is a talent. He has produced as a returner. He is signed up through 2007. And his chief competition for the roster is Childress. The past doesn't matter. What matters is this camp. Most likely, he'll get traded for a 6th like Looker a few years ago, but there is no really no reason for Bethel not to make the squad.

Agree with all these thoughts.

About a week ago, I started a thread making a case for Johnson as the number 2 WR (and about the 4th or 5th pass option behind Branch, Watson, the RBs, and T. Brown and/or Graham). The thread left off that BJ was a player to watch throughout camp - he could take off or he could be cut/traded for a pick. I was on the optimistic side.

After reading Reiss's article though I'm less optimistic. Something about BJ's tone left me feeling he still doesn't "get it." Playing with a chip on one's shoulder can be a good thing... talking about it though seldom is, especially with the Pats.

However, as BJ pointed out himself in the article, he blossomed in his final year at A&M. Maybe his fourth year will be a charm with the Pats too. There is a (open WR) spot available - it could be his, IF he steps up his game. Otherwise, someone, probably Jackson, takes over and BJ takes a hike (and not under center) no later than the end of this season.

"After reading Reiss's article though I'm less optimistic. Something about BJ's tone left me feeling he still doesn't "get it." Playing with a chip on one's shoulder can be a good thing... talking about it though seldom is, especially with the Pats."

I agree w/ this thought completely. Actually, I believe the title to this thread should be, "Is he willing to fight for his career?" I think he'll fall short, but we'll know by the end of tc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back