Welcome to PatsFans.com

Globalization of the Navy, an australian company is competing for new ships..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jul 10, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 14 / -28

Find this baffling, the Navy is re engineering part of its fleet, and are developing littoral combat ships.. have been following this for some time, but today noticed on Pop Mechanics that an Australian company is competing with Lockheed Martin for the contract.. why do we even want to consider outsourcing this security need to a foreign country?? Nothing against Australia, but scratching my head.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4272433.html

The U.S. Navy uses colors to describe where a ship is built to operate: Brown for rivers, blue for oceans and, recently, green for coastal, or littoral, waters. The Navy, traditionally focused on dominating oceans, does not have a vessel built to operate in green waters, so it is seeking a fast, shallow-keeled ship that can chase down enemies and dispatch helicopters with ease.

In 2002, the Navy solicited builders to design its Littoral Combat Ship. Australia-based Austal recently launched its contender, the 417-ft. Independence. Its trimaran hull provides a stable ride at high speeds and in rough waves.

The vessel is one of two the Navy is considering for the LCS—Lockheed Martin has already launched its monohull prototype, Freedom, and recently powered the ship's electrical systems. Both programs are over budget and behind schedule, but a winner may be announced by year's end.

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Personally I'd prefer to pay more and keep it built here - but if we refused to take bids from other companies, whether foreign or domestic, the Liberals here would be the first to pound the Bush administration for overpaying and choosing in non compete contracts.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 12 / -11

Actually, that's not true. Liberals are more likely than conservatives to support programs that keep jobs here.

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

That's not what I meant. It's ABS - Anti Bush Syndrome - you guys will criticize anything that the government does under Bush.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I hear you on that one. Put me on that list. I'd do it just for spite. But I'm not a liberal. There's plenty of conservative types who are with me on this.

I'm also with you on keeping the military work here. It's not a matter of cost. We all know how the military loves to keep their costs down.:rofl:...It's more about trust and continuity of supply. What's to keep the Aussies from building stuff, selling them to us, and then raping us for replacement parts or shutting us off altogether if something unforseen develops? We should keep military production in-house. We'd have enough domestic competition and we need to keep our secrets close to the vest.

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +515 / 14 / -28

It is not this at all, it is PUSW... pro US worker..

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'd love to walk around your guys' houses and see if you really walk the walk on that. Maybe you do.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

The aussie's use lots of our equipment. So I guess they shouldn't be using our f-18 Hornets, or our F-111 Aardvark's since they didn't make either themselves. I'd much prefer to jeep everything in house (in the USA), but I don't think it wrong to seek bids & idea's from allied nations. When IED's were/are tearing apart our troops in Iraq, people were calling for the Isreali defense system, Trophy, to be utilized. By the logic being put forth here, we shouldn't even consider it since it's not "made in the USA". I think you consider everything, and anything, that makes sense. You shouldn't rule something out simply because we didn't make it. I think our making it or not, is a factor, just not the end all.

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Indeed. Although I work for the U.S. government, most of my salary for years has been paid for by the Aussies for doing their F/A-18 S/W. Insourcing, baby :)

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +515 / 14 / -28

I try to buy as much as I can from the US, as I believe in the US worker.. however it gets more and more difficult with each passing day.. I wonder what the future holds for grandchildren and great children... what restaurant or hotel will they be working in.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Americans don't work in hotels or restaurants anymore. Illegals do. :D

12. Char2na

Char2na Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

A friend of mine works for a company that build Helicopters for the military and there are laws that state that there must be a certain number of bids for any money the military wants to spend on anything. Actually my brother in law in the coast guard runs into the same rules when hiring out of the military for anything at all. Otherwise Lockheed will have our tax dollars by the balls. I say if the aussies have a product to compete than give them a shot. Competition will make Lockheed provide a better product at a reasonable price. A trimaran sounds like a better idea for that territory anyway.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

When has our navy ever been ineffective without this boat? What do we need it for? Is there another navy that I'm not aware of that is superior to the USN capabilities and range?

I think we have a ways to go if we're going to catch up with these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RzCB3VRruE

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +515 / 14 / -28

Not completely....

15. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

I don't know how long its been going on,and I am going by one source but from what i understand we no longer produce the M-16 or M-4 here. There all built in Belgium at FN. But Belgium has always been one of the hot spots for world small arms manufacture. I would still like it all produced here,unless its an allied consortium project like the F35.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  16. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The M4 is exclusively made by Colt for the US Military. Other agencies use weapons that are similar to it but the parts are not interchangeable. I, for instance have a Colt M4 at work and a Bushmaster M4 at home. They look the same, but the Colt is full auto and none of the "moving parts" can be swapped out.

http://www.army.mil/factfiles/equipment/individual/m4.html

The M249 is a knockoff of the FN MINIMI. It is built under license in SC, by FN.

http://www.army.mil/factfiles/equipment/individual/m249.html

Now there are modifications running around like the H&K 416, but that's not a standard issue deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_HK416

Anyway all this outsourcing stuff is garbage. I always believed our stuff had to be made in the US? I don't understand how this boat deal will even happen. Unless they are doing a design that will be built under license here, like they did with the stryker.

17. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

18. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

Thanks for the clarification b31. What i find interesting and at the same time a little baffaling is that the HK416 uses the same gas op system as the HK 36. And in that case why they chose to leave the " stock" on the newer model. I remember one of the complaints about the M4,and its older variants was that it wasn't as compact because of the old E. Stoner gas system that extended into the stock. I haven't read alot about the HK36,but i think it was based on the older roller bearing blowback system used in the G3. Which would allow a folding stock. And therefore be more compact.

NO i'm wrong about the retarded roller bearing bolt. For those who care (not many i suppose) the new system uses a gas op rotory bolt.