Welcome to PatsFans.com

Global Warming Petition Project

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, May 19, 2009.

  1. NEPatriot

    NEPatriot Banned

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2004
    Messages:
    7,839
    Likes Received:
    11
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

    Global Warming Petition Project

    I hope that I won't pay any fraud tax for Al Gore's BS and Obama's new fuel and emission plan..
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. BelichickFan

    BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    31,419
    Likes Received:
    145
    Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

    #24 Jersey

    But Nancy said it's decided. She's right, they're all wrong.

    :rolleyes:
  3. NEPatriot

    NEPatriot Banned

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2004
    Messages:
    7,839
    Likes Received:
    11
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

    When did Nancy, Al Gore, and Obama become 'scientists'? :rolleyes:
  4. efin98

    efin98 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    5,090
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

    When Al won the peace prize.
  5. NEPatriot

    NEPatriot Banned

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2004
    Messages:
    7,839
    Likes Received:
    11
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

    He got it because of anti-Bush war rehetoric. He didn't get it because he put his life in the front line so that we can have peace.

    Al Gore is an internet inventor. We OWNED him that much.:singing:
  6. apple strudel

    apple strudel Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Messages:
    5,894
    Likes Received:
    7
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

    Let's use our brains. This is easy to debunk if we're reasonable being (i.e., governed by strict rules of logic).

    This article does a good job of that by bringing up several inherent fallacies in such a petition.

    Debunking the Oregon Petition Project

    Specific fallacies are appeal to authority and appeal to false authority. There is another claim that previous versions of the petition included falsified signatures (oops).

    So formally we already begin to have problems. Science is not settled with petitions, it is settled with publications and experiments.

    Are there other problems? Apparently so, according to the Sierra Club. Who asserts that there is scientific consensus.

    Ten Popular Myths About Global Climate Change


    But wait, it gets better. At least one of these petitions is a hoax.

    Ten Popular Myths About Global Climate Change

    Think and reason before you blindly believe, people.
  7. Wildo7

    Wildo7 Totally Full of It

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Messages:
    8,851
    Likes Received:
    34
    Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

    People who deny Global Climate Change do so because doing something about it involves regulating the sacred free market, not because they have carefully weighed both sides of the issue.
  8. Holy Diver

    Holy Diver Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    10,800
    Likes Received:
    6
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

    the real logic lies in the 2 actual options we have, with each option having a yes or no answer. Thus 4 possible outcomes....it is indeed LOGIC.


    1) Global warming is not real - We, as humans, do nothing -

    Result: We spend no money, and go about our time on earth.


    2) Global warming is not real - We, as humans, attempt to stop it -

    Result: we spend billions trying to clean the evironment, since the threat was not real, we go about our time living on Earth. Along the way we have cleaned up the planet, and made our environment better.


    3) Global warming is real - We, as humans, attempt to stop it -

    Result: we spend Billions to combat the effects, hopefully we are smart enough to reverse the course, and we go about living our time on Earth. Along the way we have cleaned up the planet, and made our environment better.



    2) Global warming real - We, as humans, do nothing -

    Result: we are FUKCED. we all die.





    without any scientific data, each scenario has a 25% chance of success. If we attempt to fix this problem, the cost is money, the benefit is saving of the globe, a cleaner environment, and possible technological evolution. The percentage of a positive outcome is 75%. the only downside is that we will spend money on science and attempting to clean the Earth.

    by doing nothing, you are hedging your bet at 50-50, the downside being the worst case scenario of the planet not being able to sustain human life. The upside will be that thousands of scientists will be wrong, and we will not spend money on protecting the environment.


    its all math.
  9. patsfan13

    patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    24,643
    Likes Received:
    67
    Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13



    It mostly a matter of science, there is no evidence the models of the climate alarnmist are accurate.
  10. apple strudel

    apple strudel Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Messages:
    5,894
    Likes Received:
    7
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

    Disappearing species, reduced biodiversity, and melting ice caps and glaciers are hardly alarmism. And you're stuck on the models but that's hardly any meaningful criticism. We've been over that one before. And please, let's quit the inflammatory language (alarmists - lol) and make real arguments, for once.
  11. efin98

    efin98 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    5,090
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

    There's no denying there is climate change. We had several centuries of global cooling before we saw a start to global warming, every one of the ice ages thousands of years ago is further evidence of the cycle at work. We really have no idea how far along we are in the cycle and if it is even the work of man or the work of natural disasters.

    Every one of those "blame cars" and "blame cows" there is a volcanic eruption that produces exponentially more gas to the atmosphere than make can make- yet those are overlooked in favor of the blame man first.
  12. patsfan13

    patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    24,643
    Likes Received:
    67
    Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13


    Glaciers have been melting since the end of the last ice age. What is your point.


    BTW Global temps have declined over the past 11 years.


    The model are the basis for the whole scan. The models predicted temps increasing in certain parts of the atmosphere. Any increases weren't in the right places. ie the computer models are wrong.
  13. tanked_as_usual

    tanked_as_usual Banned

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    4,981
    Likes Received:
    7
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

    sorry......but you have to be a total moron to not believe humans are causing the planets environment to be stressed.........ether that, or so selfish that you'd rather save a dime on a loaf of bread that assure that your grandkids will have a decent planet to live on.........
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  14. patsfan13

    patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    24,643
    Likes Received:
    67
    Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13


    CO2 isn't a pollutant and is a trace gas. It is less than 3% of the total greenhouse effect and people contribute ~ 3% of atmospheric CO2.

    Define stress? not a very scientific term.
  15. Gunnails

    Gunnails Rookie

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Messages:
    2,622
    Likes Received:
    4
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

    ====================================================

    I don't believe in the man made global warning thing, but I do agree man has stressed the environment and had a huge negative influence in some cases, such as building dams that disturbed fish migration and such.
  16. Holy Diver

    Holy Diver Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    10,800
    Likes Received:
    6
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

    Ha!....yeah, the worlds of engineering and science have yet to determine the defintion of such an esoteric term.....



    comedy.
  17. efin98

    efin98 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    5,090
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

    think about who the biggest proponents of the theory that it's humans and what country should take the lead in tackling the "problem" are...and you can see why they chose a certain failed presidential candidate to be the leader in the anti-global warming trend.
  18. efin98

    efin98 Rookie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    5,090
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

    That has little to do with it, it's more like an offshoot of the effects from one of the biggest global warming targets: fossil fuel power plants.
  19. apple strudel

    apple strudel Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Messages:
    5,894
    Likes Received:
    7
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

    Greenhouse gas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    And nobody's saying that C02 is the only greenhouse gas, but it is one that we can control while at the same time enriching ME nations. I'm perfectly happy to add methane to the list of highly regulated gases.
  20. patsfan13

    patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    Messages:
    24,643
    Likes Received:
    67
    Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13


    Good then you can use your vast knowledge of science to fill me in on stress in this context.

    Thanks.

Share This Page

unset ($sidebar_block_show); ?>