Welcome to PatsFans.com

Global Security is alluding to Israel using White Phosporous in Lebanon...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jul 26, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

and once again indicating that WP was used in Fallujah, the Israel and US are going a long way to win the hearts and minds of the people of the mideast, usually what happens is the innocents are the ones affected most by these tactics... today I read that some Israeli soldiers were killed by Lebanese warriors guess it is time to go Nuclear...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/index.html
    This is the link that indicates that WP is alleged to be used in the attack on Lebanon.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/wp.htm
    White Phosphorus (WP)
    White Phosphorus (WP), known as Willy Pete, is used for signaling, screening, and incendiary purposes. White Phosphorus can be used to destroy the enemy's equipment or to limit his vision. It is used against vehicles, petroleum, oils and lubricants (POL) and ammunition storage areas, and enemy observers. WP can be used as an aid in target location and navigation. It is usually dispersed by explosive munitions. It can be fired with fuze time to obtain an airburst. White phosphorus was used most often during World War II in military formulations for smoke screens, marker shells, incendiaries, hand grenades, smoke markers, colored flares, and tracer bullets.

The Battle of Fallujah was conducted from 8 to 20 November 2004 with the last fire mission on 17 November. The battle was fought by an Army, Marine and Iraqi force of about 15,000 under the I Marine Expeditionary Force (IMEF). US forces found WP to be useful in the Battle of Fallujah. "WP proved to be an effective and versatile munition. We used it for screening missions at two breeches and, later in the fight, as a potent psychological weapon against the insurgents in trench lines and spider holes when we could not get effects on them with HE. We fired “shake and bake†missions at the insurgents, using WP to flush them out and HE to take them out. ... We used improved WP for screening missions when HC smoke would have been more effective and saved our WP for lethal missions."

White phosphorus is not banned by any treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Smokes and obscurants comprise a category of materials that are not used militarily as direct chemical agents. The United States retains its ability to employ incendiaries to hold high-priority military targets at risk in a manner consistent with the principle of proportionality that governs the use of all weapons under existing law. The use of white phosphorus or fuel air explosives are not prohibited or restricted by Protocol II of the Certain Conventional Weapons Convention (CCWC), the Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons which may be Deemed to be Excessively Injurious or to have Indiscriminate Effects
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm tired of this hearts and minds crap. That's what we heard about Iraq but, look, it turns out the average citizen doesn't want to help us fight the insurgents. We need to kill the bad guys not look for these hearts and minds which, as far as I can tell, are non existent.
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Call it crap or whatever you want, but isn't that what GWB told us we were trying to do for the Iraqi people.. the end never justifies the means. I can think of no logical reason why we would use WP bombs who mostly effect the civilians of any country. All we are doing is pissing off more people and creating future terrorists.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I know, and I bought into it. But I've given up on the so-called hearts and minds over there.
  5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wolfowitz said we'd be greeted with sweets and flowers. They would roll out the red carpet for Bush. They love(d) us.

That was, of course, before we went and screwed everything up. Now, its duck and dodge.

QUAGMIRE
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

You can say we screwed it up, I'll say that the supposed support for freedom wasn't there. I'll say the hearts and minds that were supposed to be there actually aren't. If they were, the Iraqis would have teamed up with us and killed the insurgents a long, long time ago. Iraq, and most of the middle east, is irretrievable at this point; it's way too far gone.
  7. Gumby

Gumby Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Me what am I sick and tired of is a bunch of flower power wanna bes creating 'laws of humanity' and whatever else to justify their support for islamo-fascists.

Geneva conventions says you Can't use religious places or red crosses or civlians to hide behind

Geneva conventions does not prohibit use of white phosporus for marker or smoke rounds in combat.

Which of the above is being complained about. Something which is entirely within the limits of Geneva Conventions or acts of violation of the law of war which should subject the offendors to battlefield execution (justice) that both we and the Isrealis are too sissified to administer.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Communication is obviously the problem to the answer, no where has there been any implication of any support for "islamo-fascists", the point here is that we are supplying weapons that are extremely destructive to "innocents" of war. The end can never justify the means, unless you are right wing and used to using situational ethics. The US and Israel if they are using phosporous weapons, even though they are not banned, are flat out wrong to use them. The US did not sign the treaty stopping land mines, does that make it right also??
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Speaking of Hearts and minds, has anyone seen the ad by the Iraqi Kurds thanking MAerica for Liberating them and stopping Saddam's murderous regieme?
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Liberating the Kurds good, however this has alienated us from the Turks who may be an ally in straightening out the mess in Lebanon, this Mideast political stuff is very confusing and there are way too many players and too many factions. It seems that we are defying all laws of physics, for every action there is a greater double reaction, we obviously did not do our homework.