Welcome to PatsFans.com

Glenside school sued over forbidding Jesus costume

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

This stuff is getting so absurd.

[​IMG]

Posted on Thu, Feb. 22, 2007email thisprint this

Glenside school sued over forbidding Jesus costume

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - A 10-year-old boy who said he was not allowed to wear a Jesus costume during his school's Halloween activities sued the district, alleging that his religious and free-speech rights were violated.

The complaint, filed in federal court Tuesday, says officials at Willow Hill Elementary School in Glenside told the boy Oct. 31 that he could not wear his faux crown of thorns or tell others he was dressed as Jesus.

The principal, Patricia Whitmire, told the boy's mother that the costume violated a policy prohibiting the promotion of religion, according to the lawsuit. Whitmire suggested that the fourth-grader, whose costume also included a robe, identify himself as a Roman emperor, the suit states.

While the boy's costume was rejected because of its religious nature, the principal allowed other students to dress up as witches and devils, according to the lawsuit.

Whitmire and the Abington School District, in suburban Philadelphia, are named as defendants. District attorney Ken Roos, who had not yet seen the suit Wednesday, said Abington officials "feel like we've been a little bit ambushed here."

The boy, who is not identified because of his age, and his mother are Christians who object to the pagan elements of Halloween. At the same time, the suit states, the boy's mother did not want him isolated for refusing to wear a costume.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16757500.htm

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Good for the kid (and his family) for standing up for their rights. Schools have no right to restrict students' excersise of religion do any more than they can make students practice a particular religion.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,149 / 5 / -10

THE REASON THE LIBERALS HATE JESUS IS BECAUSE MOST ALL CONSERVATIVES BELEIVE IN JESUS.

NOW FIGURE THIS ONE OUT LIBERALS CLAIM TO LOVE MINORITY'S

MOST MINORITY'S BELEIVE IN JESUS, THEY HAVE STATUES OF HIM ON THE CROSS HANGING OVER THEIR BEDS

LIBERALS HATE JESUS--MINORITY'S LOVE LIBERALS AND JESUS-- LIBERALS LOVE MINORITY'S BUT THEY HATE JESUS, "OH JESUS H CHRIST"

THE LORD SAYETH UNTO THE LOWLY LIBERAL, "LIBERAL, WHY DOST THOU LIBERAL BASTARD SO HATE ME THE LORD THY GOD"

THE LOWLY LOONEY HATEFUL LIBERAL REPLIES "BECAUSE YOU PISS ME OFF YOU SON OF A B!TCH"

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

Out of curiousity, does Jesus play a role in your life and beliefs??

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Sweet!

one more stupid-***** lawsuit to make another lawyer rich!

6. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, it could have been avoided, and saved the taxpayers some cash, if the school just kept their nose out of his costume (figuratively speaking).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I'm gunna date myself here, but when I was in Grade school in New Hampshire we had George Bush swing by our school on a campaign stop. We were all having book reports or something that day, and one student was dressed as Hitler. We also had to pick a candidate to follow for social studies. The kid who dressed as hitler, was following Lyndon Larouche.

Now....imagine if you will.....George Bush shaking hands...comes face to face with a 12 year old dressed as Hitler carrying a sign that said "Vote for Lyndon Larouche, or we will Kill you with a rake"

Honestly...I can still see Bush's face in my head. Shock and awe.

and guess what? NO LAWSUITS

8. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's because the school didn't stop him from doing it.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +913 / 7 / -3

And in 1992, there were far fewer PC police running around the country.

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,149 / 5 / -10

In my beliefs, yes, in my life very seldom, in my youth I was quite a "sinner" so now in my old age I am not going to run to Jesus like a hypocrite begging for him to forgive me, if he chooses to forgive, so be it.

Also organized religion is nothing but a crime syndicate with crosses.

Most of my ranting sh!t about Jesus is the Double Standard shown by the phony Liberal America,
    BAD JESUS
    GOOD ALLAH

If they want to put Jesus in a bottle of piss, fine but stick Mohammad and all the others right in there with him. Fair & Balanced.

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,149 / 5 / -10

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007