Welcome to PatsFans.com

Glenn Beck, Heir to MLK

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jul 2, 2010.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +453 / 6 / -9

On the anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech, Glenn Beck plans a rally at the Lincoln Memorial.... he intends to "take back the Civil Rights movement.... We were the people that did it in the first place."

Beck says his 8-28 rally will "reclaim the civil rights movement. ... We were the people that did it in the first place" | Media Matters for America

Who Beck means by "We" has a couple of explanations. We'll be generous and say he means conservatives.

Thoughts? Reactions? Emotive sputterings?

As the instruction on the fireworks say, "light touch paper and retire to a safe distance", in this case, to work.

PFnV
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +912 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Beck is a libertarian ... he's been focusing on black people this week.

The other day he did our black founding fathers, why do we never hear about them.

He does some good stuff here and there ... he's just too obnoxious for my liking though.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Thoughts OK... Beck is a slobbering scum bag piece of sh!t. I Have a Dream........ that beck dies in a flaming car crash. His car is hit by a dump truck and hes trapped inside while the car catches on fire. Hows that for a thought?
  4. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, the tolerant Left.
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'm not a voice for the left, this guys a disturbed POS that is working on dividing the country.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -2

I don't watch Beck's show, so I couldn't tell you much about him. I do agree with Icy though, he is totally obnoxious. He's seems extremely cheesy too.

Flex, what blowhard on cable news isn't moving to divide the country? What politician isn't? The vast majority of these clowns aim to do that. It keeps their viewers tuning in, and their supporters delivering their votes.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +532 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

Hot Damn Sh!t, I love that kind of talk, you must have some "white neo con" in you, my favorite one when I speak of Uncle Jeremiah is "i'd like to hit him in the face with a f-cking shovel and then shove a firecracker up his a$s while i make him look at a picture of Sarah Palin""
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +284 / 10 / -26

Wonder if he will ever face retribution for fleecing the old folks with his gold schemes..

Glenn Beck's Golden Fleece | Mother Jones

10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Though I don't listen to (or watch) him anymore, it was probably 8 or so years ago that I first heard him on a station here in NH. He was still Glenn, but a little bit more reserved back then. I do find him a little obnoxious now, I don't think I could ever watch his show from start to finish. He is cheesy too, his stuff is SOOOO corny. I mean really bad. This is because he started off as a Top 20 DJ doing all of the douchey things (two fer Tuesday folks!) that we associate with regular radio.

That being said, I do like his focus on history and the Founders. It's something I don't think we focus on enough of (being a history guy though, I would think that). He puts his own spin on things, but everyone does. As RW says, all cable blowhards, from Beck to Olbermann, are divisive and polarizing figures. Unfortunately that usually equals ratings (not always though) and loyal viewers. The nation needs to watch these things with their critial thinking filters on, but we all know how good (or bad) Americans are at that.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

There was once not to long ago that Two People were on the radio with a talk show, of course they didn't last very long they disgusted the public with their Far Out Far Left Wing Hate Sh!t (NOBODY LISTENED TO THEM) so they folded.
    Jeanne Garafoola
    Al (gorilla face) Franken

Franken is now a US Senator, he's still a friggin conceited liberal loon.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -2

A picture of Sarah Palin? Oh how cruel Harry!

:D

That's the worst part. Generally speaking, the American populace doesn't pay enough attention. They listen to one or two schills, that spew the same diarea, as opposed to mixing up the points of view, and making up their minds on their own.
  13. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Glenn Beck:
    Glenn Beck’s Outrageous Lie: Racist Von Brunn is “Hero of 9/11 Truthers”

Glenn Beck For Dummies

Glenn Beck’s a Libertarian Now

How GQ made Glenn Beck "cry": Exclusive: How GQ Made Glenn Beck Cry

Written by a former Beck devotee: The Beck Deception Grand Delusion

What else is there to say:bricks:
  14. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +206 / 3 / -4

Which brings up the obvious question: why don't the righties who listen to Beck, Rush, etc. get disgusted with their far out far right hate ****?
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

What hate? Quotes please. Rush when I do here him is a pretty funny guy and not at all angry.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +532 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

On the March 2 broadcast on his nationally syndicated radio show, Premiere Radio Networks' The Rush Limbaugh Show, Rush Limbaugh stated that "since [Sen. Barack] Obama [D-IL] has -- on his mother's side -- forebears of his mother had slaves, could we not say that if Obama wins the Democratic nomination and then wins the presidency, he will own [Rev.] Al Sharpton?"

On the February 1 edition of his radio show, Limbaugh responded to a Reuters report on a University of Chicago study that found that "a majority of young blacks feel alienated form today's government" by asserting: "Why would that be? The government's been taking care of them their whole lives."

On the November 30, 2006, edition of his radio show, Limbaugh proclaimed: My "cat's taught me more about women, than anything my whole life" because his pet cat "comes to me when she wants to be fed," and "he's smart enough to know she can't feed herself. She's actually [a] very smart cat. She gets loved. She gets adoration. She gets petted. She gets fed. And she doesn't have to do anything for it."

On the August 23, 2006, broadcast of his radio program, Limbaugh commented on a season of CBS' reality TV program Survivor in which contestants were originally divided into competing "tribes" by ethnicity. Limbaugh stated that the contest was "not going to be fair if there's a lot of water events" and suggested that "blacks can't swim." Limbaugh stated that "our early money" is on "the Hispanic tribe" -- which he said could include "a Cuban," "a Nicaraguan," or "a Mexican or two" -- provided they don't "start fighting for supremacy amongst themselves." Limbaugh added that Hispanics have "probably shown the most survival tactics," that they "have shown a remarkable ability to cross borders," and that they can "do it without water for a long time, they don't get apprehended, and they will do things other people won't do." When the Survivor producers decided to dissolve the show's racially segregated "tribes" after only two episodes, Limbaugh declared that "[t]here can only be one reason for this ... that is the white tribe had to be winning."

TBC
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +532 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

On the January 10, 2006, broadcast, Limbaugh suggested that some women "would love to be hired as eye candy."

On the July 17, 2005, broadcast of his radio program, Limbaugh announced a new "advertising campaign" for the U.S. detention facility at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, in which he would call the facility "Club G'itmo, the Muslim resort," a "tropical paradise down there where Muslim extremists and terrorist wannabes can get together for rest and relaxation." On his website, he sold "Club G'itmo" T-shirts that read: "I Got My Free Koran and Prayer Rug at G'itmo," "Your Tropical Retreat from the Stress of Jihad," "My Mullah went to Club G'itmo and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt," and "What Happens in G'itmo Stays in G'itmo."

On the March 1, 2005, edition of his nationally syndicated radio show, Limbaugh claimed that "[w]omen still live longer than men because their lives are easier."

Limbaugh noted on August 9, 2004, than in recent television appearances, New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd appeared "just joyless," "miserable," and "did not seem happy at all." Limbaugh then concluded: "Must be a guy. Isn't it always a guy when a woman's unhappy?"

On June 14, 2004, Limbaugh shared with listeners his "pet name" for the National Organization for Women (NOW): "National Association of Gals" (his acronym: "NAG"). Limbaugh claimed that the "militant feminists" who make up the "NAGs" "aren't determining who wins elections. White men are."

Responding to an Associated Press report that women had recently been appointed as chiefs of police in four major U.S. cities, Limbaugh on May 27, 2004, referenced the abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib: "If we've got four new female police chiefs out there, then I guess we can watch out for some naked pyramids among prisoners in these new jailhouses that these women ran, because we had a woman running the prison in Abu Grab [sic]."

TBC
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

Harry said "the abba dabba prison pile on and dog leash looked like a rolling stone or madonna concert"
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +532 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

On April 26, 2004, Limbaugh claimed that women "actually wish" for sexual harassment, and said he then "laughed [him]self to tears" when Media Matters for America documented that and other sexist remarks he has made.

The Media Matters report also noted that Limbaugh used the term "femi-Nazis" eight times between March 15 and April 29.

In 2003, Limbaugh made controversial comments about Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, which led to Limbaugh's resignation from his position as a commentator on ESPN. During the September 28, 2003, edition of ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown, Limbaugh said that "[t]he media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well" and, therefore, that McNabb "got a lot of credit for the performance of this team [the Eagles] that he didn't deserve."

According to a June 7, 2000, Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) article, "As a young broadcaster in the 1970s, Limbaugh once told a black caller: 'Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.' " In the early 1990s, "after becoming nationally syndicated, he mused on the air: 'Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?' "

According to FAIR, "[w]hen Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) was in the U.S. Senate, the first black woman ever elected to that body, Limbaugh would play the 'Movin' On Up' theme song from TV's 'Jeffersons' when he mentioned her.

Limbaugh sometimes still uses mock dialect -- substituting 'ax' for 'ask'-- when discussing black leaders." FAIR also reported that "in 1992, on his now-defunct TV show, Limbaugh expressed his ire when Spike Lee urged that black schoolchildren get off from school to see his film Malcolm X: 'Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater, and then blow it up on their way out.' "

So there ya have it, 13.

Still think he's a pretty funny guy?

(Careful, that's a trick question.)
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +206 / 3 / -4

I don't know, I don't listen to any of their garbage, left or right. If there is actual hate from the left, as harry claimed, I'm pretty confident there's probably comparable spewings from the right.

(Funny that you didn't ask Harry what hate he was referring to...)