Glazer: NFL to enact mid-season field change rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

NFL TO NIX FIELD CHANGES

Jay Glazer of FOX also reports that the NFL is expected to enact a rule after the season that will prevent teams from changing playing surfaces during a season.

There was confusion this week regarding the rule when the Patriots decided to tear up a swirling bog of sand and mud and replace it with FieldTurf before the team's next home game against the Bears on November 26. Several weeks back, AFC information manager Steve Alic said that a team could not make a change.

This week, the NFL said that there is no such rule.

The key word? Yet.

Last edited:
Odd that some many people believed otherwise. Wonder where that came from.

Edit: Oops, missed that part about that guy saying it. Wonder where he got it from.

Last edited:
I'm disgusted by the politics of the NFL. It must be nice to be the bully pulling the strings once in a while. :rolleyes:

Sigh... yet again the NFL reacts to us...

I don't get it - isn't the Pats filed upgrade a good thing for the league?

Do they really think a team would spend this kind of money to get some kind of (uncertain) advantage over an opponent?

Seems like a pretty bad idea to make a rule that's so inflexible as a categorical ban of surface changes, rather than establishing a protocol in which the league can arbitrate when a surface change is appropriate.

In the case of the Pats field this year, I doubt that any of the teams scheduled to head into Foxborough would utter one word of protest over the installation of FieldTurf. Our field was such a mess, it was practically an issue of player safety. I don't understand why the league wouldn't want to keep the power to approve of emergency surface changes just for situations such as this, where it is in the best interest of all teams affected, and makes for a more enjoyable product for the fans to watch.

so the nfl would prefer Gillette have stayed unplayable for the rest of the year, assumably somehow getting even worse in the winter?

this is bizarre. the competition committee suggested this rule be enacted. all the nfl had to do was sign off on it. there obviously must have been some reason not to pass it.

so either that reason has changed or the nfl just screwed up by not acting on the competition committee's suggestion. i'm going with the latter.

Ok, so let me get this strait: the NFL complains and makes us resod the middle of our field (cue the polian and dungy pics) because of the horrible condition --- and then decides to make a rule against future changes after we upgrade our field????? Someone please explain this one to me....well it's just another example of how BB and the pats know the rules while everyone else thought it couldn't be done.:D

Whats it matter? The field is pretty well set for the next 10 - 15 years, and then, if they want to go back to grass, it will have to happen in the offseason :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes