Givens Too Pricey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsSteve1

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Texans | Givens too expensive to sign?
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:39:04 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans spent Sunday, March 12, meeting with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots). Givens reportedly wants $25 million over five years and that's out of the Texans' price range. Late Saturday night, March 11, the Texans said Boston-based agent Brad Blank informed them that Givens was going to re-sign with the New England Patriots. This morning, Givens came to Houston as scheduled, told the Texans there had been some miscommunication and that he was definitely interested. They still haven't given up on him, but the price is too high.

* No wonder he hasn't been signed

I wonder what he's asking in terms of guaranteed money. In terms of miscommunication, like others have said here, that's two in a row. Bad for business...

In my opinion, if he sticks to his 5 for 25 mill stance, there is NO WAY the Patriots will, or should, sign him. Go for it, #87. Good luck to you.

It all depends on structure. See below for a $25M 5 year deal that the pats would likely sign.

SB $5M
Salaries: $1M,$2M,$4M,$5M,$8M

The problem is that we need a wide receiver badly. We can't count on Troy Brown, Dwight or Bethel Johnson. And for all the talk about Branch, we can't pass on Given because of the price. What if we lose Branch anyway next year?

patsox23 said:
In my opinion, if he sticks to his 5 for 25 mill stance, there is NO WAY the Patriots will, or should, sign him. Go for it, #87. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
If any team wants to give him 5 years-25 mill they can have him. No way in hell he is worth that. Myself wouldn't go over 5 years-18 mil.

Best of luck to you David. Your best chance at 5 years and $25 million was Daniel Snyder. Unfortunately for you, he just got done aquiring two receivers this weekend.

PatsSteve1 said:
Texans | Givens too expensive to sign?
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:39:04 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans spent Sunday, March 12, meeting with free agent WR David Givens (Patriots). Givens reportedly wants $25 million over five years and that's out of the Texans' price range. Late Saturday night, March 11, the Texans said Boston-based agent Brad Blank informed them that Givens was going to re-sign with the New England Patriots. This morning, Givens came to Houston as scheduled, told the Texans there had been some miscommunication and that he was definitely interested. They still haven't given up on him, but the price is too high.

* No wonder he hasn't been signed

Hey, since when did Bruce Willis become a reporter for the Houston Texans?

Wasn't that McCain?

"The problem is that we need a wide receiver badly. We can't count on Troy Brown, Dwight or Bethel Johnson. And for all the talk about Branch, we can't pass on Given because of the price. What if we lose Branch anyway next year?"

Good point mgteich, I hadn't really stopped long enough to think about it. Branch is not a guarantee to stay either. He's put up good numbers, has a Super Bowl MVP trophy, and will also be looking to make a big contract. We shouldn't assume he's a lock to re-sign.

Also, if we lose Givens and don't find a solid replacement, IMO Branch becomes much more difficult to re-sign. His numbers would go up next season being the only reliable WR, and the Patriots would have absolutely no leverage in contract talks if he's all we have.

I'm not saying we give Givens $40 million guaranteed but I don't mind giving him more than a guy with his numbers is usually worth. Because of Branch being in his final year and having really no one else, losing Givens could be bad this year but turn terrible next year.

Last edited:
McCain = senator
McClain = badmother******

jbhiggy said:
McCain = senator
McClain = badmother******

Oh yeah, my mistake. :D Although McCain is a badmother***** too!

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
Yup...later Dave.

Last guy that overpriced himself and wanted back later was Bobby Hamilton...if I remember correctly. He tried to come back after BB signed a few guys. So perhaps he is rushing the process figuring BB is going to let the market cool off first.

If he's wrong he'll be making about $1.5 million (maybe here) when he signs anywhere...and that's if he's lucky.

Last edited:
If I were Belichick I'd give it another 24 hours then move on to Bryant or Finneran. They can't wait and have all the WR off the board while waiting for Givens to go on his tour.

mgteich said:
It all depends on structure. See below for a $25M 5 year deal that the pats would likely sign.

SB $5M
Salaries: $1M,$2M,$4M,$5M,$8M

I have read that Givens wants $10M guaranteed ... I could see the numbers slightly rearranged that could make this happen.

$1M per year spread over 5 years in SB =$5M
$1M per year in roster bonus =$5M
$1M, $1.5, $1.5, $2, $3 =$9M
Another $6M in bonuses some NLTBE and others than are very attainable (paying for good performance).

This type of contract wouldn't be as good as what Wayne just signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes