PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Givens Signs with Browns Already ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
patriotsrule said:
And I'm free to feel the way I want to about so-called Patriots fans who hate every single player who leaves the team, even though the team really isn't interested in having them back in the first place.

I think the Pats would love to have Givens back, but not at the price he is asking.

I also liked the Givens pick...although at the time, if I had to choose, I did think Branch would be one that would move into the starting role quicker. I don't think many have large expectations for a 7th rounder...anyone who could have predicted what a solid receiver he would become is certainly one who could be a scout. He's a hard worker and one of class. I really wish him well. Do I wish the team could keep both?? Of course..but I don't see that happening

Face it everyone, we are cheering for the laundry here. All of these FA players leaving for the cash prove that while these guys drink the Kool-Aid and say all the right things about TEAM, they are all selfish and have no concept about loyalty. To balance this out, keep in mind that Tedy, Tommy, Vrabes and Matt Light all signed under market value deals to stay here.

The one bright light in all of this is BB. He is well aware that players are going to leave his team for the brass ring so I am sure he has replacements lined up for David, Adam and Willie. It's all a matter of priorities. Tedy said that if he left, it would kill him to see 54 jerseys in our stands that were not his. He loves living here and loves playing for us and BB. He stayed to become part of something greater than just himself. I have NO DOUBT that Bill and the boys will find someone to replace David. He has sucessfully replaced Andruzzi, Patten, Washington and Milloy!

Honestly everyone, how many games do you think Cleveland will win this year??? They were 6-10 last year and 5 games out of the top playoff spot in their division. I don't see Pittsburgh getting any weaker. Cincinatti might have a tough time repeating their 11-5 season with Palmer's injury. We still have a great opportunity to make it 4 out of 6!

Buh-bye David enjoy your cash!

For those of you who hate Givens today: did you hate him last week? Do you hate him in retrospect or only starting now? If you plan to hate every young player who leaves the team in free agency: better get used to it. You're going to have a lot of hate to carry around with you.

Givens has been the most productive and successful 7th rounder that I can remember. Depending on the details of his contract (and what we do in free agency), he's probably going to earn us a 3rd or a 4th round pick in the Compensatory Draft... which means his legacy on the team will outlast his personal tenure.

He's been a class guy, never b!tched to the media about playing time or money or not getting the ball. He's been a team guy, filling in when other players were hurt, playng any role needed of him, on ST, in the slot, as a blocker. Remember that his hands weren't all that good at first, and he worked hard to make himself a player.

And even when BB/SP made it clear to him that they basically dont want him back, he's been a pro's pro.

I've got nothing but respect. He's a self-made man, nothing handed to him, and he's come to the top of his sport.

I just don't get how people can be mad at Givens if he leaves when the Pats have not made an offer to keep him in over a year. This isn't Edgar Renteria leaving St. Louis who was willing to pay 4 years 39 million to go to Boston for 4 years 40. If he does soemthing like that, I'd get it. The Pats have not made him an offer and by most accounts are not planning to.

rookBoston said:
For those of you who hate Givens today: did you hate him last week? Do you hate him in retrospect or only starting now? If you plan to hate every young player who leaves the team in free agency: better get used to it. You're going to have a lot of hate to carry around with you.

Givens has been the most productive and successful 7th rounder that I can remember. Depending on the details of his contract (and what we do in free agency), he's probably going to earn us a 3rd or a 4th round pick in the Compensatory Draft... which means his legacy on the team will outlast his personal tenure.

He's been a class guy, never b!tched to the media about playing time or money or not getting the ball. He's been a team guy, filling in when other players were hurt, playng any role needed of him, on ST, in the slot, as a blocker. Remember that his hands weren't all that good at first, and he worked hard to make himself a player.

And even when BB/SP made it clear to him that they basically dont want him back, he's been a pro's pro.

I've got nothing but respect. He's a self-made man, nothing handed to him, and he's come to the top of his sport.

perfect and well said.

then...i do not really able to understand why if a player leave NE we should 'hate' this player...

why ?
of course it depends 'the way' a player goes out but, as we are talking about Givens, if he will play for another team (hopefully not Miami) i will still be glad he was with us, he helped us to win and he dressed our wonderfull uniform / colours.

he was a 'class guy', a nice player, a good person.
all the best David !

Last edited:
Bill's Girl said:
All of these FA players leaving for the cash prove that while these guys drink the Kool-Aid and say all the right things about TEAM, they are all selfish and have no concept about loyalty.

I hope you keep this statement in mind the next time another company offers you double (at least) what you're making now for the exact same job.

Don't undervalue Givens. It will come back to haunt the Pats.

patriotspride said:
i went to the link you provided and i cant find anything about givens .

They took it down already because it was an obvious mistake.

italianpatthepatriot said:
perfect and well said.

I second that (or is it third?) The Pats aren't even going to make David an offer so it's not like he's turning down an opportunity to stay here. I can't hate David for that.

David should take the very best deal he can. I hope he has a great career but I hope he signs with Cleveland rather than Miami.

I thought I heard a loud bang at 12:01 last night, I hope it wasn't Romeo's head.

Last edited:
Reports now say Givens isn't even visiting Cleveland. So, its true that it was a story printed up in advance, or the result of hacking. Too bad for us. Like many here have said, David was already gone. We all liked him. He wasn't a big mouth, distraction, or ego, and he played hard on the field. Whats not to like? But he wants or needs money the team isn't about to pay. Not with Branch next year. So we all knew he was ghosting as soon as FA started. The great thing about the early signing thing was that we would have to be compensated for the tampering. If the guy had to go anyway, that would have been the best thing he coulda done for us. David had gone from "like" status to "love the guy". Oh, well....

shirtsleeve said:
Reports now say Givens isn't even visiting Cleveland. So, its true that it was a story printed up in advance, or the result of hacking. Too bad for us. Like many here have said, David was already gone. We all liked him. He wasn't a big mouth, distraction, or ego, and he played hard on the field. Whats not to like? But he wants or needs money the team isn't about to pay. Not with Branch next year. So we all knew he was ghosting as soon as FA started. The great thing about the early signing thing was that we would have to be compensated for the tampering. If the guy had to go anyway, that would have been the best thing he coulda done for us. David had gone from "like" status to "love the guy". Oh, well....

this tour of other franchises and "hacking" allegation sounds like a smokescreen....perhaps the deal to cleveland was in place, and the website erred in posting it early, so the givens team decided to go on tour, to cover up the tampering....it all seems a bit peculiar....what about the punter they allegedly signed....why would someone hack in to say they signed a punter....not much mischeif in that.

ayjackson said:
this tour of other franchises and "hacking" allegation sounds like a smokescreen....perhaps the deal to cleveland was in place, and the website erred in posting it early, so the givens team decided to go on tour, to cover up the tampering.
That's my gut feeling too. It looked to real and hacking into the Browns site but leaving the page hidden doesn't sound realistic.

ayjackson said:
this tour of other franchises and "hacking" allegation sounds like a smokescreen....perhaps the deal to cleveland was in place, and the website erred in posting it early, so the givens team decided to go on tour, to cover up the tampering....it all seems a bit peculiar....what about the punter they allegedly signed....why would someone hack in to say they signed a punter....not much mischeif in that.

That would be AWESOME! Hey, Givens and his people would have nothing to worry about. Its the Browns who would lose. A high draft choice! I love a good conspiracy theory :D

If you are correct, DG goes back into my "gotta love the guy" catagory!

smg93 said:
I hope you keep this statement in mind the next time another company offers you double (at least) what you're making now for the exact same job.

You know its funny you say that..... A good friend of mine, a member of this board in fact, was offered a new job with more money and more perks. She asked me what I thought about it. Her commute would have been twice as long and would involve public transportation, the office was cramped and uncomfortable and the people were not friendly, so I asked her if the extra $5 per hour were worth it. She stayed at her old job!

That is what the FA players need to consider. BB talks about this in his lectures all the time: It is not always about the money! The new rumor is about Givens involves the Texans. Does he really want to go play for the worst team in the NFL with a bad O-line and a number one draft pick that will most likely be used to draft a stud RB? Oh and by the way a rookie NFL head coach....I don't begrudge Givens anything. He can play where he wants. I am more upset about Willie and the posibility of losing Adam.

I will say this about $$. If someone in Florida or California offered me a job at double my salary......I would stay here in Massachusetts. What the hell good is double my salary if my parents, two year old niece, family and friends are here in New England?

Bill's Girl said:
Her commute would have been twice as long and would involve public transportation, the office was cramped and uncomfortable and the people were not friendly

Well thats not exactly a fair comparison since the circumstances aren't the same. What if her commute was the same, did not involve public transportation, her office was the same size and the people were just as friendly? What would you have told her then?

Bill's Girl said:
You know its funny you say that..... A good friend of mine, a member of this board in fact, was offered a new job with more money and more perks. She asked me what I thought about it. Her commute would have been twice as long and would involve public transportation, the office was cramped and uncomfortable and the people were not friendly, so I asked her if the extra $5 per hour were worth it. She stayed at her old job!

That is what the FA players need to consider. BB talks about this in his lectures all the time: It is not always about the money! The new rumor is about Givens involves the Texans. Does he really want to go play for the worst team in the NFL with a bad O-line and a number one draft pick that will most likely be used to draft a stud RB? Oh and by the way a rookie NFL head coach....I don't begrudge Givens anything. He can play where he wants. I am more upset about Willie and the posibility of losing Adam.

I will say this about $$. If someone in Florida or California offered me a job at double my salary......I would stay here in Massachusetts. What the hell good is double my salary if my parents, two year old niece, family and friends are here in New England?

This is the one opportunity Givens will have to set himself up financially for life. He needs to go for it full throttle. He has never yet made serious money and after this upcoming deal will be treated as on the downside of his career.

Good luck DGiv, just, please stay out of the AFCE.

smg93 said:
Well thats not exactly a fair comparison since the circumstances aren't the same. What if her commute was the same, did not involve public transportation, her office was the same size and the people were just as friendly? What would you have told her then?

That the circumstances are NOT the same is my point!! The other 31 NFL teams are not the same as the Patriots! You have to deal with moving, new teammates, coaches and playbooks. Do you want to go to a losing team? Do you want to play on turf, out in the cold or in the hot weather year round? How about playing for a team with shakey ownership that is not committed to winning? All of these things and more should influence this decision.

It is easy to look at this from the outside to say, "GREAT, double my salary!" But what good is the money if the other circumstances make you miserable. Like I said before, it is all a matter of what YOUR priorities are. If it is David's priority to make as much money as he can now that he has won SB rings, then have at it!

I guess I am the dumb one here for wanting all of these players to be like Tedy and Tommy where the money is NOT the number one priority!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back