PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Givens/Randel el..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantasic4x50x54x59x55

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Can someone give me one clear cut advantage of loosing givens and picking up randel el.. other than money. id rather keep givens and pick up joe jerivicious at vet minimim..big target, hungry vet..plus if we DO draft a big reciver id like to have him learning a thing or 2 from joe..plus imagine our redzone offense with graham-watson-jervicious on the field..whoa now.

Well, they're different. Givens is bigger and stronger but Randal-El is quicker and faster. With our two TE I would prefer another quick, fast WR myself. Givens had more catches last year but Randal-El has 2-3 yards per catch more and, of course, the Patriots throw a lot more than Pittsburgh. Plus Randal-El is more versatile, being a KR and PR (more of PR than a KR in his career) and being able to throw.

Fantasic4x50x54x59x55 said:
:confused: season worth a beer and chicken wings for the person who responds?

If you wish to be responded to, try getting off the beer and reading other posts. This topic has been chewed up for2 weeks now and here you are posting it again.

Digger 44..Internet Cop and Toughguy...please STFU

Joker said:
Digger 44..Internet Cop and Toughguy...please STFU

I am sorry, however we do not appreciate profanity on this board. This is one of the best boards you will find on the net, and some of us wish to keep it that way. So when Jokers like you start posting foolishness, it is about time somebody stood up and said something. Thank you Mr. Joker Troll.

Again, shut up you moron

You have the reading comprehension of a turnip and seem to be obsessed with telling people what to do

try your wife

idiot

Givens is what you would consider a pure receiver. He can lineup anywhere with similar results, while Randle El is really more suited for the slot. Therefore it would be difficult for Randle El to ever be a true # 2 like Givens. However, Randle El is the pure misc. player: ie punt returns, kickoff returns, and trick plays, and I suppose an emergency backup QB. I honestly believe that Randle El's flash through his trick plays that have been showcased this postseason will actually get him more $ then Givens. So if you asked me, I would never pay more for Randel El when I could have a better WR in Givens, which is all we're really looking for.

Although, I was in the stands when Indiana played @ PSU in 2002, Randle El had over 600 total yards through running, passing, and returning. Best single game performance I have ever seen. The kid is a pure athletic specimen, but I fear people marvel too much at what he is "good" at, which is everything, when they should be concentrating at what he is "great" at, which isn't receiving.

Joker said:
Again, shut up you moron

You have the reading comprehension of a turnip and seem to be obsessed with telling people what to do

try your wife

idiot

seeing how you take orders from your wife, maybe i will try yours.

He's not Athletic Specimen, He's Michael Jordan 4 Inches Short

TeamPats said:
Givens is what you would consider a pure receiver. He can lineup anywhere with similar results, while Randle El is really more suited for the slot. Therefore it would be difficult for Randle El to ever be a true # 2 like Givens. However, Randle El is the pure misc. player: ie punt returns, kickoff returns, and trick plays, and I suppose an emergency backup QB. I honestly believe that Randle El's flash through his trick plays that have been showcased this postseason will actually get him more $ then Givens. So if you asked me, I would never pay more for Randel El when I could have a better WR in Givens, which is all we're really looking for.

Although, I was in the stands when Indiana played @ PSU in 2002, Randle El had over 600 total yards through running, passing, and returning. Best single game performance I have ever seen. The kid is a pure athletic specimen, but I fear people marvel too much at what he is "good" at, which is everything, when they should be concentrating at what he is "great" at, which isn't receiving.

Never saw him in person, but followed him on TV.
Good Grief, He's More Explosive Than Anyone in the NFL Today.
Cowher should be Shot for Under-Using Him.

ilduce06410 said:
Never saw him in person, but followed him on TV.
Good Grief, He's More Explosive Than Anyone in the NFL Today.
Cowher should be Shot for Under-Using Him.

Or does Cowher's "underuse" highlight some inadequacies with Randle-El that Cowher knows about?

I have a good feeling we'll keep Givens. There are only a few teams that could pay him as a #1 and are legitimate contenders (Philly, KC, Atlanta, Seattle) and he wouldn't leave NE to be a #2 somewhere else.

You are saying that Givens will only play for a legitimate condtender who will pay him as a #1 receiver. Why do you believe this? Givens will go to someone who will pay enough in SB and first year salary to set him as his family up for the rest of their lives. That is what the first free agebt contract is about. Do you really believe that free agents only will play for contenders?

richpats said:
I have a good feeling we'll keep Givens. There are only a few teams that could pay him as a #1 and are legitimate contenders (Philly, KC, Atlanta, Seattle) and he wouldn't leave NE to be a #2 somewhere else.

mgteich said:
You are saying that Givens will only play for a legitimate condtender who will pay him as a #1 receiver. Why do you believe this? Givens will go to someone who will pay enough in SB and first year salary to set him as his family up for the rest of their lives. That is what the first free agebt contract is about. Do you really believe that free agents only will play for contenders?

I remember Brady saying something about former Pats that chased the $$$ to Detroit, Oakland, Buffalo (all non-contenders) and basically saying "they weren't all that happy now".

So in short, yes, I believe Givens will want to play for a contender.

If we think we might not be able to afford bidding on Givens what makes us think we can afford Randel El?

Randel El is coming of a very good Super Bowl performance where I think he had a better QB rating than the QB (and indeed could be considered a backup QB himself having been converted to WR)

Givens IMO is one of the best #2 guys out there - but I would have to think that Randel El is going to command a higher salary than Givens.

So if we're reluctant to spend money on Givens why would we spend more on Randel El?

Sure, Givens WANTS to play for a contender. He, as most the fa's before him, would prefer to play for the pats. But, as a great defensive back once said, that doesn't buy the groceries. The way this reality is more traditionally stated is that the NFL is a business and that this is Givens' chance to set up his family for life. You and other posters can decide how many millions you think Givens should give up to play for a contender. In the end, it's not going to happen. Givens will take the money. If the patriots come close, he might stay, but even there I really doubt it. If a deal could have been worked out, it would have been worked out. Givens will now take the money.

richpats said:
I remember Brady saying something about former Pats that chased the $$$ to Detroit, Oakland, Buffalo (all non-contenders) and basically saying "they weren't all that happy now".

So in short, yes, I believe Givens will want to play for a contender.

Joe's right. There's no way if El leaves the Steelers the Pats will be able to sign him. If he leaves, he'll leave to the highest bidder. If he wants to play for a little less with a SB contender, he'll stay right where he is.
My guess is that he'll sign a big contract with his hometown Bears, who need all the offensive help they can get and he would be more of a go-to guy in their offense.
Givens' value seriously decreased from last offseason to this, and the Pats should be able to sign him.

WR question

Fantasic4x50x54x59x55 said:
Can someone give me one clear cut advantage of loosing givens and picking up randel el.. other than money. id rather keep givens and pick up joe jerivicious at vet minimim..big target, hungry vet..plus if we DO draft a big reciver id like to have him learning a thing or 2 from joe..plus imagine our redzone offense with graham-watson-jervicious on the field..whoa now.

Ok, a little Steeler Fan perspective. After watching Givens thrive in just about every big game he has played in, I would gladly straight up trade ARE for David Givens. This in no way is a slight on ARE, but Givens straight up makes plays. ARE is very useful and offers great character as well.

I do think that you may have wishful thinking when considering Joe J (55 catches 10 TD's) that he will sign for league minimum :rolleyes:

I know in the past players have resigned w/ New England for less$$$$
but NFL is a "What have you done for me lately" and not taking anything away from your SB wins but they were now two years ago.

Look I will never take away from what NE has done, who knows maybe i am totally wrong and NE will regain the championship this year...but the gleam of the SB only lasts for a while, right now as a Steeler Fan I am basking in it, but in the back of my mind I know it will be gone eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes