Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
From Cleveland.Com
"Contrary to published reports, Blank said Givens is not committed to finding a team that would anoint him its No. 1 receiver.

"Every team we've looked at has a No. 1," Blank said. "Braylon Edwards is the Cleveland Browns' No. 1, if he's healthy. David's not looking to catch 100 balls a year. He's looking at doing what he did at New England, which was play an important role."

Let's hope that means he's not looking to get paid like a #1 either. :D

If he's not looking for #1 money, then I believe the likelihood of us getting him back just got bigger.

Maybe...but supposedly he was looking for Hines Waes money a year ago...I really do not think he'll be back...and whatever he is paid...Branch will want tons more. I do not think the Patriors can afford to mess up their pay structure...IF there is a way they can offer Givens a reasonable contract that he will accept and not have to break the bank on Branch...finr..I just do not see that as happening.

Miguel said:
From Cleveland.Com
"Contrary to published reports, Blank said Givens is not committed to finding a team that would anoint him its No. 1 receiver.

"Every team we've looked at has a No. 1," Blank said. "Braylon Edwards is the Cleveland Browns' No. 1, if he's healthy. David's not looking to catch 100 balls a year. He's looking at doing what he did at New England, which was play an important role."

In Philly he would be #1

If he's not looking to be a #1 (hence, not get paid as one), and is looking for the same role he had in New England.. then why does he not do the obvious and return to the team for a decent #2 WR contract?
Makes no sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
It's all well and good to have the greatest QB to play the game, but if he's chucking the rock at the friggin' waterboy then I'm not sure how effective even HE can be. Ugh.
I hope Branch is ready for a heavy workload.
I'm sure the FO has something in mind, I just hope their plans work out. There are some vets available that I wouldn't mind seeing brought in, but I'm not sure I would take any of them over Givens.

You're missing the obvious. Cleveland is likely to offer Givens much more to be their #2 than the patriots will, as they did to Patten last year.

Brownfan80 said:
If he's not looking to be a #1 (hence, not get paid as one), and is looking for the same role he had in New England.. then why does he not do the obvious and return to the team for a decent #2 WR contract?
Makes no sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
It's all well and good to have the greatest QB to play the game, but if he's chucking the rock at the friggin' waterboy then I'm not sure how effective even HE can be. Ugh.
I hope Branch is ready for a heavy workload.
I'm sure the FO has something in mind, I just hope their plans work out. There are some vets available that I wouldn't mind seeing brought in, but I'm not sure I would take any of them over Givens.

LOL! The Eagles can always bring back Freddie Mitchell. :D

Three names to look for:

Joe Jurevicius
Brian Finneran
Eric Moulds

I have a feeling that we land one of those guys.

MrTibbs said:
Three names to look for:

Joe Jurevicius
Brian Finneran
Eric Moulds

Not a big Finneran fan.

MrTibbs said:
Three names to look for:

Joe Jurevicius
Brian Finneran
Eric Moulds

Wouldn't any of these cost the same as Givens? If so I would prefer Givens.

Who cares if he would be the #1 WR it's a matter of what he would be paid.

Miguel said:
From Cleveland.Com

Just because you're not "committed" to something doesn't mean it's not what you would ideally hope to find, nor does it mean it has not been what you previously asked someone for...So I think this is agent public speak for don't not call us because you think we're out of range. He also said he's not looking to be annointed a #1, not that he didn't want to be paid like one.

I got the sense listening to Blank a week or so ago on Felger's show that perhaps what he envisioned for his client and what his client envisioned for himself were not necessarily one in the same. He let slip how David called him the moment Wayne's contract was announced, and he basically told David not to get too excited about that deal comparatively speaking.

He did say he had a good relationship with the FO in Foxboro and he planned to bring any offer they were considering back to them before making a decision. But I think he is also the source of the longstanding local media perception that the Patriots haven't spoken to David's contract in quite some time, as well as the reason many most of them believe Givens asking price has long been out of range for the Patriots WR salary structure.

well

So what are the odds of signing Branch to an extension, and then being able to offer givens a contract based on being the #2? Is that what the pats are looking to do now? Who knows if he will take it or not, but at least then we know what we can offer as a #2 and don't have to break the bank when Branch comes up again!

jeffd said:
Wouldn't any of these cost the same as Givens? If so I would prefer Givens.
Maybe not...maybe a bit shorter contract...Givens will be going for a larger one..

mgteich said:
You're missing the obvious. Cleveland is likely to offer Givens much more to be their #2 than the patriots will, as they did to Patten last year.

I thought the obvious was that they have Charlie Frye and we have Tom Brady, but then it's not my bank account so what do I know.

MrTibbs said:
Three names to look for:

Joe Jurevicius
Brian Finneran
Eric Moulds

I'd add Isaac Bruce too...

Branch would play for less than Givens would play for. Branch gets it. Givens is greedy.

Not Exactly True

shakadave said:
Branch would play for less than Givens would play for. Branch gets it. Givens is greedy.

Branch has already made a a good amount of money as a 2nd round pick. Givens 1st tatse of any money was last year as a RFA mid level offer of around 1.4M. Remember that Givens has played here with a huge chip on his shoulder because he was not drafted until the 7th round (and nearly wasn't drafted at all). The Patriots had the last regular pick in the draft that year with about a dozen or so compensatory picks to follow. When it was the Patriots turn to choose, they hesitated because it was the last pick that could be traded (compensatory picks can't be traded). The Pats exceeded the time limit and several teams picked before the Pats made up their mind and selected Givens.

Givens was highlighted on HBO's Real Sports in a piece by Armen Katayien. They followed Givens and another player through all the rigors of the NFL Combine. They even showed Denvers evaluation of Givens as a 5th round selection value.

It's Givens turn to make the cash and he knows it and the Patriots know it. In his dealing with the team last year he nade it clear what he felt he deserved. His agent Bard Blank has stated on numerous shows that the Patriots have not spoken with Givens. Blank believes the Pats don't want to upset the salary structure with his other client Deion Branch by offering Givens a large contract that they would have to exceed for Branch next year.

Would Branch sign early and could they do a package deal with Brad Blank that would satisfy both players or do the Patriots have a strict salary structure they can't deviate away from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes