PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Givens new home a mess? McNair kicked out???

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
Titans | McNair booted from team facility
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:19:24 -0700
ESPNews reports the Tennessee Titans have asked QB Steve McNair to leave the Titans facilities.
per KFFL

Umm.... there's no details yet, but that can't be good.

Edit:
Ehh... probably nothing, story updated on KFFL now, Fisher says it's been blown out of proportion and they'll get it worked out. .....his agent James Cook said there was no warning to the team's position and added, "Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out, he wasn't welcome at the facility. Heck, he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason."

Last edited:
NFL | More on McNair
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:19:42 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPN.com reports Tennessee Titans QB Steve McNair was told by a team trainer that he would not be allowed to work out until his contract status was resolved, according to his agent James Cook. Cook said there was no warning to the team's position and added, "Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out, he wasn't welcome at the facility. Heck, he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason." Titans sources said Titans owner Bud Adams made the decision out of fear any offseason injury would make him liable for McNair's current contract. Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said, "Things got blown out of proportion. ... We'll get it straightened out."

Same source.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Same source.
:) Sorry about the edit, slow typer.

From KFFL's source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060403/SPORTS01/60403018/1027
“A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out?’’ agent Bus Cook said last night.

“I have never seen anything like that in my life. They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team. To just to throw him out? After this, I don’t think Steve would want to go back any more."
The agent doesn't sound very happy. :D

SeanBruschi54 said:
Because its just such a weird and random thing to happen.

Has that ever happned before? Or is the team just throwing him out so they can start Leinart right away? That might be the case.
The agent or the article's author speculated that the Tenn Thumbtack's are worried that they'll be on the line for a guaranteed 9 mil if he gets hurt before the season starts.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
The agent or the article's author speculated that the Tenn Thumbtack's are worried that they'll be on the line for a guaranteed 9 mil if he gets hurt before the season starts.
So they'll probably want him to redo his deal and get that out of their first of all and then ask him to take an incentive laden deal that would give him the X amount of money in which he is owed if he plays in X amount of snaps or X amount of games/quarters/etc.

This is a real unclassy move from a PR perspective for the Titans.

Anybody else think this guarantees a first round QB pick?

cubedoggy said:
Anybody else think this guarantees a first round QB pick?
If the Titans didnt draft Matt Leinart i think everyone would be shocked. Jeff Fisher and Norm both persoanlly worked him out at his proday working with the Titans WR's. Made them run through Titans drills and etc.

He's a titan unless someone jumps into #2 and steals him away.

I'd say this craziness seals it, though.

And consider that the Jests could get the #1...and not take Bush.

I think Mangini is too smart to trade up to #1 or #2 for Leinart. That team has so many holes, and is sitting at a position right now where, with 3 picks in the 1st 35, they can get a franchise QB, an OT and either a CB or DE.

Mangini is looking hard for character guys, and my feeling is that they'll shock the world and take Vince Young.

I think David Givens now wishes he wasn't "inspired" by a guy wearing a Titans jersey at the Texans facility.

Enjoy the extra $$$ David, you'll need to. :)

richpats said:
I think David Givens now wishes he wasn't "inspired" by a guy wearing a Titans jersey at the Texans facility.

Enjoy the extra $$$ David, you'll need to. :)

David was insired by the $$$$$ and that was it. They can talk all they want about the bullshoit story about he gut withthe Eddie George shirt.

Not finding fault with David, he admitted it.

PATSNUTme said:
David was insired by the $$$$$ and that was it. They can talk all they want about the bullshoit story about he gut withthe Eddie George shirt.

Not finding fault with David, he admitted it.

I don't feel bad for David, but it has gotta stink knowing that you are going into the prime era of a career and the Titans may be trying to dump a QB who is not sensational, but can throw the ball well. IMO David's prime will never be bright with a rookie who will take 3-4 years to develope.

Last edited:
Digger44 said:
I don't feel bad for David, but it has gotta stink knowing that you are going into the prime era of a career and the Titans may be trying to dump a QB who is not sensational, but can throw the ball well. IMO David's prime will never be bright with a rookie who will take 3-4 years to develope.

But he believes he is a #1 receiver - he will turn this rookie into a Pro-Bowler in 2 years. David Givens will realize his "potential" and make the Pats sorry they ever made only a respectable offer to him ;)

Yeah, I'm being hard on Givens, but once you're gone, you're gone.

richpats said:
But he believes he is a #1 receiver - he will turn this rookie into a Pro-Bowler in 2 years. David Givens will realize his "potential" and make the Pats sorry they ever made only a respectable offer to him ;)

Fully understandable Richpats - I really liked DGIV, wished we could have somehow kept him and do not blame the pats for not being able to keep him. I do not blame Givens for taking the money either. All of that said, were he to have a very disapponiting 25 catch season and be cut, I would not mind that at all. He is a traitor to me as are all defectors.

richpats said:

David Givens isn't about stats or Pro Bowls. He's a winner and he'll be an excellent addition to that team in both the passing and running game. The Titans don't need McNair to be good. They've always won with defense and a strong running game. Volek is plenty good enough for that.

bucky said:
David Givens isn't about stats or Pro Bowls. He's a winner and he'll be an excellent addition to that team in both the passing and running game. The Titans don't need McNair to be good. They've always won with defense and a strong running game. Volek is plenty good enough for that.
I am sorry bucky, but when is the last time they won?

bucky said:
The Titans don't need McNair to be good. They've always won with defense and a strong running game. Volek is plenty good enough for that.

Yeah... Steve McNair had absolutely nothing to do with the Titans' success. I mean, when he was one of the top 3 QBs in the league, they would win 10+ games every year. When he got hurt, they dropped down to a sub-.500 team. He had nothing to do with it. Just like the Patriots have always won with running and a defense, never needed a good QB.

primetime said:
Yeah... Steve McNair had absolutely nothing to do with the Titans' success. I mean, when he was one of the top 3 QBs in the league, they would win 10+ games every year. When he got hurt, they dropped down to a sub-.500 team. He had nothing to do with it. Just like the Patriots have always won with running and a defense, never needed a good QB.

exactly right PT

I was thinking about the Lienart angle and realizing this is just one of several "ripple effects" the whole Chargers-Rivers-Brees-Saints-Culpepper-Dolphins ordeal is going to have over free agency, the draft, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back