PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Givens might not be ready for start of season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still trying to figure out who he is going to throw the ball to. :confused:

Let me be the first to offer them Reche Caldwell and Kelvin Kight vs. their 2nd-round pick.

Then the Patriots shall have lapped the entire first-day draft.

Brandon Jones had 27 catches for 384 yards last year and and Courtney robey had 2 catches for 28 yards. So if they are expecting those two to anchor their wide receiving core, then yes, it is going to be an issue.

Even if Davis is a steal you can't expect a late round WR (or any WR for that matter) to come right in their rookie year and be 1 or 2 receiver. It can happen, but banking on it happening is not a good plan. Paul Williams and Chris Davis are two good rookie receivers but in all liklihood they aren't going to help them a heck of a lot this year.

Why do people insist on reading so far into what is said and making things up that weren't.

1) Brandon Jones and Roby were the 4th and 5th receivers last year. But they were on the team and should be expected to step it up another notch.

2) I said I felt that Chris Davis was a steal. In other words, he'll help. I don't believe that Williams will help because he wants to be a CB in the NFL, not a receiver. But it will be interesting to see where he lines up.

3) Justin Gage is replacing Bobby Wade. Gage should be the #2 receiver to Givens being the #1.

4) While at Texas, Vince Young's primary receiver was David Thomas, a TE. I fully expect Scaife and Troupe to be bigger factors in the offense with Young a QB. This will help take priority off the receivers.

5) Their receiving game is going to be hard-pressed because of their lack of running game more than the lack of receivers. Unless they sign someone or pull off a trade, they are hurting in that department. Especially if the Pats pull off a coup by getting Brown. That wouldn't leave much in the way of RB options for the Titans.

Why do people insist on reading so far into what is said and making things up that weren't.

1) Brandon Jones and Roby were the 4th and 5th receivers last year. But they were on the team and should be expected to step it up another notch.

2) I said I felt that Chris Davis was a steal. In other words, he'll help. I don't believe that Williams will help because he wants to be a CB in the NFL, not a receiver. But it will be interesting to see where he lines up.

3) Justin Gage is replacing Bobby Wade. Gage should be the #2 receiver to Givens being the #1.

4) While at Texas, Vince Young's primary receiver was David Thomas, a TE. I fully expect Scaife and Troupe to be bigger factors in the offense with Young a QB. This will help take priority off the receivers.

5) Their receiving game is going to be hard-pressed because of their lack of running game more than the lack of receivers. Unless they sign someone or pull off a trade, they are hurting in that department. Especially if the Pats pull off a coup by getting Brown. That wouldn't leave much in the way of RB options for the Titans.

If an injured David Givens is your number one then you are not in good shape. So basically they have a bunch of average (if that) receivers. The Patriots proved last year that a bunch of average receivers does not make a good receiver, even with Tom Brady as your quarterback.

And Vince Young never had good wide recivers in college and relied on his tight end and his scrambling ability. Hmm....I swear there is another NFL QB who completely relies on his scrambling ability and a tight end. The one who is in some kind of rouble with dog fighting? How has that strategy worked out for him? Not well, not well at all. Just because something worked in college does not mean it will work in the NFL. Teams aren't going to let him scramble as much. To have a consistent passing game and a good offense you really need good (not necessarily great) receiving threats on the outside. The Titans wide receivers were a problem last year and they've only gotten worse.

But it's not like they are in a situation where a lack of wide receivers is the one thing between them or a Superbowl or anything, but it won't help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back