PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Givens might not be ready for start of season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg Spires should have been superbowl MVP. Curtis Martin, Dave Meggett, and Irving Friar did okay for themselves, and so did Nick Buonaconti and Jim Plunkett. Shawn Jefferson, maybe?

Who am I forgetting?

Does Rich Gannon count? :D
I think he means since Belichick became coach...

I was shocked when they picked Griffin. They're defense isn't very good but if they really wanted a corner then Chris Houston and Josh Wilson were still on the board or they could have traded up a few spots and gotten Leon Hall. All would have been better cornerbacks than Michael Griffin. They have such a huge need at wide receiver and Bowe, Meachem etc. were all available. I just think there were so many other ways they could have gone.

A Chargers fan presented a thoery that the Titans picked Griffin because they knew the Chargers wanted him so they were hoping to use him as bait in a trade for Michael Turner. If that is true then it backfired because now they don't have Turner and they are stuck with Griffin.

Me too. I was fully expecting to hear Meacham's name called when they picked. As for the Chargers, I didn't like the Craig Davis pick, there were 3 WRs I liked better than him that were still on the board. (Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarret and Steve Smith.)

It really seems like players who leave this team are cursed. Wiggins and Vinatieri are really the only players I can think of who left and were as good or better with their new teams, but even Vinatieri had injury problems.

i dont think any one is cursed i just think the pats know who to resign and who not to resign most of the player they let go wher past there prime and branch and gives never had a 1000 yerd season with the best QB in the NFL and vinatieri was good cause he is a kicker with kickers if your good your good they can kick for 20yers

Old friend David Givens isn't sure he will be ready to start the season, according to this story:

Yikes!:
If he was using a cane,,it had to be pretty bad..I wish him th ebest in coming back..might take him awhile..

Heeeey, who let you out of your cage? Get back in there...(the visiting locker room.)

Why is it that you think you are above paying off the bet?

I do not understand what your problem is other than being a first class jerk.

You made the bet and agreed to the terms, as I have proved to you over and over again, in your own typed words.

You are really a scumbag........no matter what kind of spin you try to put onto it.

Pay up a/hole.

Givens deserved a bump, and was a hard working guy that came up from the ranks from the 7th round.. I hope everything works out for him, but my guess is the Titans cut him after this yr..

The Pats offered him a very lucrative package. I believe in the 5yr/$20 million range. Givens turned it down for an extra 4 million over the 5 years.

No telling whether or not he would have been injured if he'd stayed with the Pats.

It really seems like players who leave this team are cursed. Wiggins and Vinatieri are really the only players I can think of who left and were as good or better with their new teams, but even Vinatieri had injury problems.

Actually Greg Spires and Ty Law are also two players who have been successful since leaving the Patriots. Spires is probably the biggest success story down in Tampa.

Greg Spires should have been superbowl MVP. Curtis Martin, Dave Meggett, and Irving Friar did okay for themselves, and so did Nick Buonaconti and Jim Plunkett. Shawn Jefferson, maybe?

Who am I forgetting?

Does Rich Gannon count? :D

Space - I believe he was referring to the Bill Belichick era. And of the ones you mentioned, only Spires applies.

Justin Gage and Roydell Williams... DUH! HAHA!

How about you try again.

Brandon Jones and Courtney Roby are two players returning from last year. They picked themselves up a STEAL in the draft in Chris Davis, IMHO.

I don't think that receivers are going to be a big issue for the Titans. Also, they do have a couple of pretty good TEs in Bo Scaife and Ben Troupe. Its their RUNNING GAME that's an issue.

Actually Greg Spires and Ty Law are also two players who have been successful since leaving the Patriots. Spires is probably the biggest success story down in Tampa.

Greg Spires was successful when he left and has done well.

but

Ty Law has been nothing more than average minus that playoff game against the Colts.

That's why I didn't understand that they didn't take a receiver in the first round. There were plenty of solid receivers in the draft this year and they went and picked up a safety in Griffin. Sidney Rice, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarret, Anthony Gonzalez, Robert Meacham and Craig Davis were all on the board. I didn't understand that pick, especailly when they just signed a good DB in Nick Harper.
Well, considering how embarrassed you were at your team taking DUD receiver Ted Ginn, I can understand these sentinments.

Greg Spires was successful when he left and has done well.

but

Ty Law has been nothing more than average minus that playoff game against the Colts.

Really? He's only been average?

I didn't realize him putting up 14 ints over the last 2 seasons would be considered average. He also had 61 solo tackles last year. 2nd best of his career.

Really? He's only been average?

I didn't realize him putting up 14 ints over the last 2 seasons would be considered average. He also had 61 solo tackles last year. 2nd best of his career.

His time with the Jets if you remember was a disaster. he lead the league in penalties for a defensive back. Teams through at him often because he was so out of place and or couldnt catch up. He was still better than most and still had 10 Ints. But Law had a terrible year. Law was always a great tackler with run support.

With Kansas City he showed his real age. Not as many Ints, not as many penalties but definitely slower than most of his opponents. Still was thrown at a ton last year at a fairly good rate and he played in Kansas Citys defense which meant he was probably their leading tackler as well.

How about you try again.

Brandon Jones and Courtney Roby are two players returning from last year. They picked themselves up a STEAL in the draft in Chris Davis, IMHO.

I don't think that receivers are going to be a big issue for the Titans. Also, they do have a couple of pretty good TEs in Bo Scaife and Ben Troupe. Its their RUNNING GAME that's an issue.

Brandon Jones had 27 catches for 384 yards last year and and Courtney robey had 2 catches for 28 yards. So if they are expecting those two to anchor their wide receiving core, then yes, it is going to be an issue.

Even if Davis is a steal you can't expect a late round WR (or any WR for that matter) to come right in their rookie year and be 1 or 2 receiver. It can happen, but banking on it happening is not a good plan. Paul Williams and Chris Davis are two good rookie receivers but in all liklihood they aren't going to help them a heck of a lot this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back