Givens is hoping to stay with Pats - Curran

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060209_pats09x.bcac53f.html

"While he's bound to find generous suitors when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 22 days, Givens' agent, Brad Blank, says that staying in New England is his client's first choice.

"New England has been very good for David and he loves it here," said Blank. "He would prefer to stay with the Patriots, and we have every intention of making sure the Patriots have every chance to keep him here."

-------

While I'd like to believe this I think it's the old "of course my client loves (team x) and wants to stay here". Almost every free agent says this to make the market that much higher. Would he stay here? Sure but I don't think he'd turn down a bigger offer to do it. As a seventh rounder he didn't get big bucks (or even medium bucks) the first time around and I couldn't blame the guy for trying to cash in if another team's offer blows the Pats one away.

I always wonder how a player like Givens feels, he came out in I believe the 6th round, which may have led to obscurity on other teams. However on the Pats they capitalized on his strengths and he has 3 rings from them, I know everyone wants the big payday, but there must be some ambivalence about going to another team. Does he owe anything to the Pats???

Think it is always wise to take a diplomatic course initially - it is not necessary to go directly to the TO stage. There are a lot of factors that should weigh in, but in the end neither the Pats nor David 'owe' each other anything.

I think the Pats have one HUGE advantage over most other teams in signing WR's as far as getting them for a little less than market value and that's TOM BRADY. If I were David Givens and considering NE and say, Miami, who is willing to throw a little bit more $$$, I would ask myself, "Who do I want throwing me the ball the next few years, Tom Brady or Gus Frerotte (or whatever rookie Saban grooms)?"

If we can keep Givens and Branch around a few more years that'll keep us at the top. Resign Andre Davis, give Troy Brown another year and see if we can get some good FA's or draft picks and we'll be alright.

GJAJ15 said:
I always wonder how a player like Givens feels, he came out in I believe the 6th round, which may have led to obscurity on other teams. However on the Pats they capitalized on his strengths and he has 3 rings from them, I know everyone wants the big payday, but there must be some ambivalence about going to another team. Does he owe anything to the Pats???
I don't think Givens owes anything to the Pats. Sure he got three rings, but the Pats got three years at rookie minimum and a tendered year.

Givens was draft very late in seventh round. IIRC, the Pats tried desparately to trade the pick. Several teams behind them in draft order picked while the Pats manned the phones. Finally, about 3-4 picks after they were supposed to, they picked Givens.

His rookie year training camp, Coleman outplayed him, but Givens was good on special teams, and played CB against Panthers in preseason. Versativily pays.

His first year he had the droppsies, if you recall. But an off-season with the JUGGS machine took care of that.

He has been very good for very little money.

He has something to prove, also, that he was better than coming a few picks of being Mr. Irrelevant. A big contract will do that.

I'm guessing soemone will pick him up at more money than teh Pats are willing to pay. Branch is FA next year and I doubt they want to set the bar high now. Branch is much better than Givens, and will get much more money. Give top dollar to Givens and you can't afford Branch.

Givens was drafted in 2002 along with Branch and Graham...the year of the pass catchers...All 3 have only won 2 Superbowl rings.

Depends on salary cap(how high it goes) as to whether we can
afford both. My guess. Share more local revenues to appease
smaller markets. Cap will go up if that happens because that
is where the pct. the players get comes from. Another thing
about Givens. He went to N.Dame and graduated. I don't think
he's put everything in the football basket. Will be successful
at whatever he does. Damn. Did I just compliment ND?
I hope we(PSU) kill them in Sept.

It would be huge if we could keep him. He is a solid #2 reciever in the mold of a Heinz Ward (by no means am I insinuating he is as good as Ward, Ward is an elite #1 in my opinion, and arguably the best all around in the league, he seems sort of the same style). If we had to go from Givens to say, Randall El, the dropoff would be huge IMO.

I really hope this deal gets done. I want to see Andre Davis signed again. He was really starting to make plays once he got healthy.

The catch he made with Bailey grabbing him from behind by the facemask was amazing. We all saw how capable he was on special teams as well.

I'm sure Givens is sincere, but even if he didn't feel this way, any agent would instruct his client to say exacty that in the interest of creating a bidding war with other teams.

In other words, don't take too much from the statement. Givens will take the best contract. I probably would if I were him too.

richpats said:
I think the Pats have one HUGE advantage over most other teams in signing WR's as far as getting them for a little less than market value and that's TOM BRADY. If I were David Givens and considering NE and say, Miami, who is willing to throw a little bit more $$$, I would ask myself, "Who do I want throwing me the ball the next few years, Tom Brady or Gus Frerotte (or whatever rookie Saban grooms)?"

If we can keep Givens and Branch around a few more years that'll keep us at the top. Resign Andre Davis, give Troy Brown another year and see if we can get some good FA's or draft picks and we'll be alright.

Well, yes and no! It really depends on the size of the ego IMO. No doubt, Brady is a big part of it but NE also spreads the ball around so much that the receivers don't get the numbers they might get from another team. Example Patton, he left to hopefully become a more impact receiver.

PatsChick87 said:
Well, yes and no! It really depends on the size of the ego IMO. No doubt, Brady is a big part of it but NE also spreads the ball around so much that the receivers don't get the numbers they might get from another team. Example Patton, he left to hopefully become a more impact receiver.

Well, Patten in a round about way has already said he regrets his decision in leaving the Pats. I remember hearing something from the Washington Post or NFL network that he said, not all is what it seems and the grass is not always greener and went on to say things about Brady and his uncanny preparation...

With Givens, I do beleive that Brady is the Key. Right after the playoffs ended Givens said in a Felger article, that he has a chance to play with the best QB in the league and maybe one of the greatest ever and went on to say, how do you turn your back on that and said that is also helps that he and Brady are great friends.

Sometimes there is a bit more than money involved in decisions...not saying that Givens will stay because of this, but if a deal out there is not significantly higher than the Pats, I think the devil you know is most times better than the devil you don't know. In NE he knows what he is getting. A top knotch NFL franchise, great teammates with an all for one attitude, a great coach - coaches, and according to Corey Dillion the best food in the history of the NFL....

Last edited:
Drewwho said:
Well, Patten in a round about way has already said he regrets his decision in leaving the Pats. I remember hearing something from the Washington Post or NFL network that he said, not all is what it seems and the grass is not always greener and went on to say things about Brady and his uncanny preparation...

With Givens, I do beleive that Brady is the Key. Right after the playoffs ended Givens said in a Felger article, that he has a chance to play with the best QB in the league and maybe one of the greatest ever and went on to say, how do you turn your back on that and said that is also helps that he and Brady are great friends.

Sometimes there is a bit more than money involved in decisions...not saying that Givens will stay because of this, but if a deal out there is not significantly higher than the Pats, I think the devil you know is most times better than the devil you don't know. In NE he knows what he is getting. A top knotch NFL franchise, great teammates with an all for one attitude, a great coach - coaches, and according to Corey Dillion the best food in the history of the NFL....

Don't forget that Brady gets endorsements. And Brady always includes his friends in endorsements. I'll tell you what, if I owned a gym in Mass/RI, I'd hire Givens to do my commercials in a heartbeat.

I wish I had a $ for every time I;ve heard a palyer say, "My preference is to stay wiht X team." That is usually before they sign for more $ with another team.

I hope Givens stays with us, but his "preference' quote is just part of the FA process. Don't read anything into it.

I'd love to re-sign Givens, even though I'd prefer another Branch type as our #2. I don't see it happening, though, he'll get too solid of an offer from someone else. Maybe they'll surprise us, though, and give him a big bonus over 6 or so years to spread out the hit. I'm more concerned about Branch signing long term though.

Drewwho said:

Well said! Given's does appear to be a bit more cerebral than the average joe, so let's all hope that sees more overall benefits to staying here! ;)

IMHO, if Givens and the pats were going to agree, it would have happened by now, actually during last offseason, when the pats paid him $1.4M when they couldn't work out a deal.

Would Givens prefer the patriots. Maybe or maybe not. It really doesn't matter. This is his first (and perhaps only) big contract. He will, as should, get what he can.

And staying because Brady is the QB is just nonsense. He will likely be more important in other offenses, intead of being one of ten receivers. And you all can keep on wishing that Miami is grooming Ferrotte as their long-term QB. Whether this year or next, Miami will trade for a top QB, perhaps Culpepper.

I'm sure it will be exactly that easy.

I'd like to see him saty, but I get the feeling he will be gone..just a hunch. I did talk to him two years ago in TC and he seems like a really nice guy. I am sure a lot will go into his decision..but I just have the feeling his agentwil get him megabucks at another location and that is where he will end up.

Point to ponder:

- From the Pats' perspective: When Deion missed games D-Giv cranked out several 100 yard games as the primary WR. When D-Giv went down this season, Deion disappeared behind a wall of opposing jerseys. D-Giv doesn't make a lot of catches in playoff games, but what catches he makes are all to often critical third down plays and touchdowns. It would be difficult to find a better blocking WR. He is durable. And, he and Tommy and Deion are a good team.

- From David's perspective: Product endorsements, whether regional or part of Tommy's national advertising campaigns. Playoff opportunities, including keeping the post-season touchdown streak alive are more likely in New England then just about anywhere else. Publicity; national television exposure from being a Patriot, national television exposure from being a Notre Dame graduate who played offense on 2 National Championship teams for that shy and retiring coach now gracing the Notre Dame sideline, product endorsements.

David has earned the opportunity to stand tall on a national stage and made the most of it. He got that opportunity as much through his hard work as the willingness of the organization to look at the totality of the player and not just his statistics. Waiting to negotiate a contract extension after a new CBA was signed and after other teams had the opportunity to set his market value isn't such a bad thing. I have no reason to disbelieve his sincerity, or to feel panicked over impending Free Agency with no reported contract offers on the table - this is the Patriots of Fort Razor after all, not some sieve of gossip in Langley, VA.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
I'd love to re-sign Givens, even though I'd prefer another Branch type as our #2. I don't see it happening, though, he'll get too solid of an offer from someone else. Maybe they'll surprise us, though, and give him a big bonus over 6 or so years to spread out the hit. I'm more concerned about Branch signing long term though.

Another Branch type. Nothing against Deion, but if we had a #2 receiver like him, we'd have something like the "Marks Brothers" Marino had, Clayton and Duper, two little guys, with which Miami never won the big one. At least Givens is 6', he's a big game, big play receiver, and he's only 25. I hope the Patriots re-up Givens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back