Givens and Branch???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Givens was active yesterday and listed as starting for the Titans, but does not show up in the box score.. Vince Young was 13 for 25/211 yards 0 td and 1 int.

Branch was listed as starting for the Sehawks, caught 3 for 22 yards.. Wallace was 15 for 23/161 yards..2 td's.

Did Brady and the Pats make them that much better than they are right now?? It is interesting as McGinnest is listed as making only 2 tackles for the Browns. And the Colts only put Vinateri in position to kick one fg from 31 yards in a very close dome game.

GJAJ15 said:
Did Brady and the Pats make them that much better than they are right now??

Givens and (moreso) Branch are decent receivers. Branch is probably a top 25 receiver. They are not superstars. They weren't superstars in New England, either. They just happened to be the top two options in an offense that spreads the ball around more than any other offense in recent football history.

EVERY personnel decision we made in the off season was correct. The only one I can see being questionable was the Vinatieri decision, because the money was so small. But I really think Vinatieri wanted out anyway and the Pats couldn't have kept him even if they made a maximum effort.

The Pats are not losing games now because of poor receivers!

Givens was carted off the field. Sounded like a serious knee injury. He's probably done for 12 months. That's a bit of an assumption but his season is likely over.

sieglo said:
Givens and (moreso) Branch are decent receivers. Branch is probably a top 25 receiver. They are not superstars. They weren't superstars in New England, either. They just happened to be the top two options in an offense that spreads the ball around more than any other offense in recent football history.

EVERY personnel decision we made in the off season was correct. The only one I can see being questionable was the Vinatieri decision, because the money was so small. But I really think Vinatieri wanted out anyway and the Pats couldn't have kept him even if they made a maximum effort.

Good comments...I totally agree...but you know..there will be some that will try to blame ot on players not here..and...it really does not work at all..

sieglo said:

You are being a bit presumptious, never implied that letting these guys go was a bad decision, in fact my attitude has been that they are worth more to these other teams than they are to ours. The Pats current problems have nothing to do with these receivers. Did not know Givens got injured yesterday.

My question has to solely do with their talent, did the Pats make them that much better than they seem to be doing right now?? I contend these guys were good here, because we played to their strengths and complimented their playing ability.

BelichickFan said:
Givens was carted off the field. Sounded like a serious knee injury. He's probably done for 12 months. That's a bit of an assumption but his season is likely over.

Sorry, David ... not what any of us wished for you.

Glad he got well-paid before that happened.
(Also glad it was someone else who paid him.)

GJAJ15 said:
My question has to solely do with their talent, did the Pats make them that much better than they seem to be doing right now?? I contend these guys were good here, because we played to their strengths and complimented their playing ability.

That's missing a big point, I think. They were good here because they were years-invested in learning our system, so that ALL of their talent could be put to use here. In a new setting this year, they won't be at that point yet. Next year Branch and Givens will do more than this year. (But maybe still not what they did with Brady).

Also, this is why our new receivers cannot possibly replace Branch and Givens's production THIS YEAR.

shakadave said:
Also, this is why our new receivers cannot possibly replace Branch and Givens's production THIS YEAR.
And that's why what Branch did screwed us so badly. I have no doubt that Belioli were sure he'd play for us this year - holdouts almost always end as the regular season approaches. Maybe the Patriots screwed up in their offer to the agent to find a trading partner, maybe not, whatever. The point is that they brought in Caldwell and Jackson only having to replace Givens. When Branch stiffened in his stance, all of a sudden the plans were laid to rest in a big way and we have what we have.

The loss of Branch is still as significant factor in why the offense is struggling. I have heard Brady say many times that he would key on Branch, even if the throw was not going to him because by watching how the defense played Branch he would understand the coverage to other receivers. He also presented Brady with a proven go to player in clutch situations. I am not saying they should have paid him 39 million but if they were more pro-active they may have been able to work things out earlier, maybe 6 years $30 million and everyone (including Brady is happy).

EVERY personnel decision we made in the off season was correct.

Not quite, a valid case can be made for every player they let go but this logic eliminates the need to replace these players. Some examples, albeit not good ones but examples. More of theoretical constructs.
1) Javon Walker - Walker signs with Patriots, Patriots beat Broncos and have an advantage for the home field bye.
2) Patriots sign Adam V. - Colts kicker costs them a game, advantage Pats. 4th round draft pick used to draft a LB to lower the average age to around 36...
3) Patriots sign or draft someone to improve the secondary - Eric Warfield we hardly knew ye..

I am sure there are other examples but my point is that it is not black and white. BB & SP do a great job in the draft and an average job with FAs. Back to the original point, the team would be better with Branch and his importance to the offense is very evident.

sieglo said:

psychoPat said:
Sorry, David ... not what any of us wished for you.

Glad he got well-paid before that happened.
(Also glad it was someone else who paid him.)

Well said. Very true. It's shame for Givens, but I'm glad he got paid. Yet another Patriot who doesn't get anything done after leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back