Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I have been saying on this board since Dec 20th
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...owthread.php?p=1463&highlight=givens#post1463
"The problem for the Pats is not the ability to afford Givens but the ability to afford BOTH Givens and Branch"

Brad Blank's quote -
"“The Patriots have to make a business decision,” Blank said. “The indications and the vibe I’m getting are that they’re not going to make an offer. If they give David a lot of money, it’s going to impact the salary structure of the rest of their receivers, one in particular. Frankly, if I were the Patriots, I’d do the same thing. I can understand why they wouldn’t want to upset that apple cart.”

Makes sense to me..you had it on the nose...BRAVO!!

The answer, of course, is to try to extend Branch first. If that can't be done, a difficult issue exists.

Of course, the danger with the current strategy (essentially passing on Givens) is that we could lose both when Branch go into the free agent market next year. Passing on Givens in no way means that we will be willing to pay near the price of the highest bidder next year.

Last edited:
I thought Miguel was nuts to say we wouldn't even make an offer but I guess not :)

I'm surprised we didn't even make an offer, but I guess BB figured screw it, don't even waste the paper.

I mean obviously Branch is more valuable a receiver..And it's completely understadable by both sides that Branch is the #1 guy, and keeping Branch is more important than Givens. Oh well, it sucks we can't keep the, together still.

Miguel said:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1463&highlight=givens#post1463
"The problem for the Pats is not the ability to afford Givens but the ability to afford BOTH Givens and Branch"

Brad Blank's quote -
"“The Patriots have to make a business decision,†Blank said. “The indications and the vibe I’m getting are that they’re not going to make an offer. If they give David a lot of money, it’s going to impact the salary structure of the rest of their receivers, one in particular. Frankly, if I were the Patriots, I’d do the same thing. I can understand why they wouldn’t want to upset that apple cart.â€

Miguel, You the Blind Squirrel! :)

Seriously, I remember your post and it made cap and staffing sense even though I've been a big Givens fan. The gap between his salary on the Pats and elsewhere is too big to ignore at this stage of his career. He needs to ensure security and bank against career threatening injury. I think he and his agent are exemplary mature in this situation.

I'm sure that Pioli and Given's agent have discussed "parameters". There's no need to make an offer when you already know you you aren't in the ballpark. It's like me walking into the Ferrarri dealer and offering 'em $10 grand cash money for a new car.

Givens agent has been selling him on visions of "Wayne money" for two years now. He'll get his money and probably be yet another example of a grossly overpaid bust with his new team, cut in couple of years, with zero demand for his services. Not because he isn't a good player, but because paying #1 money for a #2 WR is stupid. How is Peerless Price viewed?

Givens agent has been selling him on visions of "Wayne money" for two years now. He'll get his money and probably be yet another example of a grossly overpaid bust with his new team, cut in couple of years, with zero demand for his services. Not because he isn't a good player, but because paying #1 money for a #2 WR is stupid. How is Peerless Price viewed?[/QUOTE]

* This is typical of Boston area sports fans. If he stayed he'd be awesome. He's leaving so now he's a bum. Happens just about every time. How dare they?

PatsSteve1 said:
* This is typical of Boston area sports fans. If he stayed he'd be awesome. He's leaving so now he's a bum. Happens just about every time. How dare they?

Where did I say Givens is a bum? I think he's a 7th round pick who has worked very hard to become a solid #2 WR. That's hardly a bum. On the other hand, it's not worth #1 WR money.

If we Pats fans have a fault, it's in overvaluing our players, not undervaluing them.

We'll get last chance

At the end of the article, Given's agent said he would give the Pats a call before they completed a deal.

Man, if it was me, I'd pay for Givens AND Branch. At least if the salary cap jumps up another $10m I would. It's crazy not to take advantage of what we have in Brady by giving him a high-quality stable of receivers to work with. With Givens gone, watch Branch's production go down.

hwc said:
Where did I say Givens is a bum?

* What's an overpaid bum which you said he'd probably be?

shakadave said:
Man, if it was me, I'd pay for Givens AND Branch. At least if the salary cap jumps up another $10m I would. It's crazy not to take advantage of what we have in Brady by giving him a high-quality stable of receivers to work with. With Givens gone, watch Branch's production go down.

I do not agree - Branch will get his catches because he is that good. Whoever is our #2 next year will not adversley affect Branch. Don't get me wrong, I think DGiv is solid and wish we could keep him, but not at the kind of money he will be looking for.

Last edited:
fgssand said:
I do not agree - Branch will get his catches because he is that good. Whoever is our #2 next year will not adversley affect Branch. Don't get me wrong, I think DGiv is solid and wish we could keep him, but not at the kind of money he will be looking for.

Exactly. Losing DGiv, while not preferable, is hardly the end of the world. Its the nature of the beast.

I'm actually hoping that with the offseason to study the playbook that Andre Davis becomes the #2 guy. He's a much better complement as a deep threat to Branch than Givens was as a similar, albeit bigger, posession type.

tombonneau said:
I'm actually hoping that with the offseason to study the playbook that Andre Davis becomes the #2 guy.
Of course, he's a UFA too. Right now Bethel is our #2 WR :eek:

Last edited:
p8ryts said:
At the end of the article, Given's agent said he would give the Pats a call before they completed a deal.

so there is hope :)

Miguel said:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...owthread.php?p=1463&highlight=givens#post1463

Brad Blank's quote -
"“The Patriots have to make a business decision,†Blank said. “The indications and the vibe I’m getting are that they’re not going to make an offer. If they give David a lot of money, it’s going to impact the salary structure of the rest of their receivers, one in particular. Frankly, if I were the Patriots, I’d do the same thing. I can understand why they wouldn’t want to upset that apple cart.â€
Seems like it might be in a slightly wider context. Maybe it's just stating the obvious of how folks look at it:

"The problem for the Pats is not the ability to afford Givens but the ability to afford BOTH Givens and Branch" -- within the portion of the total roster amount that Belichick feels is the right proportion with respect to what is needed to sign effective enough players in all the other positions.

Of course that proportion will vary from year to year depending on opportunity to sign particular players.

BelichickFan said:
Of course, he's a UFA too. Right now Bethel is our #2 WR :eek:

Ouch! Let's just hope we re-sign Davis. Otherwise, I presume we are looking at a high pick in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back