PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Givens - A possible transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We could transition Givens at $5.166. No one would give a #1 and #3. If they did, fine.

In any case, we could look for other option, including the draft, and eventually cut Givens if he wouldn't deal, we could get a trade (withdraw and sign), or we couldn't get a better option.

After all, if we can't find a #2 receiver anywhere for a reasonable price, Givens for one year at $5.166M makes sense to me.

This presupposes a $1.5 cap deal with Vinatieri. With his agent back, I don't think the team will franchise him again. He needs to sign a normal contract if he wants to continue as a patriot.

BEST RESULT IF GIVENS AND THE TEAM CAN'T AGREE TO A DEAL
1. 3-year deal with Vinatieri at $1.5-$2M cap hit
2. a 3rd for releasing the tag on Givens.
3. signing or trading for a solid replacement for Givens (perhaps for a 3rd)

I like Givens and don't like a lot of what is out there in FA as a #2 WR but I just think 5 million is a very big cap number for what Givens brings to the table.

dhamz said:
I like Givens and don't like a lot of what is out there in FA as a #2 WR but I just think 5 million is a very big cap number for what Givens brings to the table.
It is a lot but we could do it would be for only a year and we don't have many FA issues this year. We wouldn't be able to do it next year with more FA to deal with.

Umm, no, that's WAY too much. If he costs more than 3, let him walk.

You miss the point. If we find someone close to equivalent to him for $3M, we'd just withdraw the tag (or trade for whatever) and sign the other player for $3M.

I see no disadvantage in
1) Trying to sign him
2) If there is no deal, transition him
3) when we find a better alternative, trade Givens and sign the alternative

If I am wrong (it happens!) please criticize my logic.

There is one catch. We have to have the extra couple of million of cap room for awhile. I assume that we are willing to use $3M for a #2 receiver.

drew4008 said:
Umm, no, that's WAY too much. If he costs more than 3, let him walk.

mgteich said:
I assume that we are willing to use $3M for a #2 receiver.
Yes, but I don't think Givens will settle for that. And what if we can't find a WR, we just keep him and pay him $5 mil ?

mgteich said:
You miss the point. If we find someone close to equivalent to him for $3M, we'd just withdraw the tag (or trade for whatever) and sign the other player for $3M.

I see no disadvantage in
1) Trying to sign him

There is one catch. We have to have the extra couple of million of cap room for awhile. I assume that we are willing to use $3M for a #2 receiver.
the risk is that no team would trade for for him at $5M, right? If another team had a guy exactly like givens, would we offer our 3, plus pay the dude $5M? I dont think any of us really WANT to pay him $5M, let alone burn a 3 to do it.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
I see no disadvantage in
1) Trying to sign him

To do it you have to be ready never to have a chance for #3 on your list.

You are assuming that Givens would not sign the transition offer right away. At that huge # and with the advantages of being an 07 FA over being an 06 FA there is at least a decent possibility that he would. In 07 he would either be out there in an uncapped year or with a new CBA which would probably mean a better signing bonus since it would be able to be spread over more years.

The Raiders were supposedly using the same logic last year with Charles Woodson only to have him show up at their offices the day after they franchised him to sign the deal sticking them with a player with a huge cap number well above his mkt value that made him 100% untradable.

Last edited:
I agree ... 5M is way too much for Givens. Won't happen. IMO

JR4 said:
I agree ... 5M is way too much for Givens. Won't happen. IMO
$5M is definitely too much. But for one year and with few UFA to sign, I could see it happening. 2006 is a target year for a big year before some contracts expire and while $5M is too much we may have little choice unless we can pull something like a Moulds out of the bag. Other than UFA who will likely be out of our price range like Wayne and Bryant and the single top WR in the draft who'll likely be gone before our pick, Santonio Harris, the pickings are very slim.

Here are some WR Fee Agents

.... that might deal if Givens asks too much.

Antonio Bryant
Antwaan Randle El
Corey Bradford
Joe Jurevicius
Keenan McCardell ( BB really likes this guy even if older)
Koren Robinson ( may have solved his dropsieitis problem)
Reggie Wayne

... these are just some possibilites that probably can be had for
far less that 5M.

JR4 said:
.... that might deal if Givens asks too much.

Antonio Bryant
Antwaan Randle El
Corey Bradford
Joe Jurevicius
Keenan McCardell ( BB really likes this guy even if older)
Reggie Wayne

... these are just some possibilites that probably can be had for
far less that 5M.
You can probably cross Bryant and Wayne off the list as they'll be the hot guys IMO, although I'd love to get Bryant if the market allows. I imagine Randle El will stay in Pittsburgh although they have cap issues. I doubt we'd look at Robinson with his issues, although he had a decent year personally last year. McCardell wouldn't be bad, he and Belichick go back a long way. He's old but it doesn't seem to show. We could probably get him for 3 years/$6M or so at his age.

JR4 said:

Has he solved his raging alcoholism? You are talking about a guy Matt Hasselbeck says would show up for practice and stink of booze on his breath in the huddle.

Last edited:
Koren Robinson--no way.

Randle El would be great if Pitt lets him go.

Moulds would be fine too, and McCardell a good one-year solution.

BUT, the best of all possible worlds would be to keep Givens. I wonder if there's a better, more reliable possession guy in the league.

As for his worth, the NFL is a supply-and-demand marketplace. He's worth exactly what the highest bidder is willing to spend for him. If he were on another team and we lacked a good possession guy, I'd be delighted if we got him, even if he cost a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back