PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Given agrees in Principle with the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Givens is not value at 5 Mil a year for the Patriots, therefore he was not signed.

If the number 2 reciever in a "spread the ball around to everyone passing offense" is worth 5 mil, what would they have to pay Deion Branch ?

Givens was solid, but 5 Mil is #1 money, and Givens is not a game breaker. He is a very good posession receiver. In the Patriots offense no one receiver is that valuable. Deion Branch is the only irreplacable receiver on the Patriots offense.

Congratulations and good luck to David Givens.

Again, I hate to whine about this, but you people - where do you come from all of a sudden? What TEAM do you follow? Because all of this is OBVIOUS. Yeah a couple days ago it began looking like he MIGHT come back, but odds have always been against that. We've known this for the last year.

This is how the Patriots operate, to fantastic, HISTORICAL success. Relax. Do you honestly think Belioli is going to have the team suit up with just Branch, Bam Childress and Bethel Johnson? They're not infallible but they're not idiots. They're better than almost everyone in the WORLD at this. Give it time.

Jimke said:
The upsetting thing about this situation is the Pats have known

for a couple of days they could not afford him and have pursued

no other alternatives.

It's frustrating to me as a fan to think that Antonio Bryant was signed by SF (of all teams) for the sameish money that we offered Givens. I wish we'd made a run at Bryant as well so at least we'd have a backup plan. The guy was pretty productive the last two seasons with no-name Browns QBs chucking the ball.

Brownfan80 said:
It's frustrating to me as a fan to think that Antonio Bryant was signed by SF (of all teams) for the sameish money that we offered Givens. I wish we'd made a run at Bryant as well so at least we'd have a backup plan. The guy was pretty productive the last two seasons with no-name Browns QBs chucking the ball.
of course, we also understand that statistics taken from nfl.com don't always paint a full picture of a player. The player has had a few personal issues, one of which caused him to be exiled from the Cowboys, which is how he ended up with the Browns. A team can hardly be blamed for being judicous in determining what kind of person they want to make a multi-million dollar investment in.

huskeralk said:
I usually try to stay cool about this stuff but WHAT THE HELL? It just seems that we're letting these guys walk away without even lifting a finger to stop them. One thing is for sure, Belichick and Pioli have a master plan, I just hope it's a good one.

i am usually on the "in Bill we trust" side of things, but damn...they better have a plan because i am starting to worry a little.

F.B.N. said:
Yes...or as they say on the "Sopranos"..."Someone has to go". We have a boatload of WR's on our roster...could one of them be better than we think?

we do? refresh my memory...who do we have on our roster at WR...i am too lazy to look it up.

Boston Boxer said:
we do? refresh my memory...who do we have on our roster at WR...i am too lazy to look it up.

Then that's your problem...There are 6 not named Branch...remember where Givens started from?

Deon Branch
Bethel Johnson
John Stone
Zuriel Smith
Mike McGrew
Brandon Childress
Rich Musinski

wow, you are right. What a great corp. Come on

Boston Boxer said:
Deon Branch
Bethel Johnson
John Stone
Zuriel Smith
Mike McGrew
Brandon Childress
Rich Musinski

It only takes 1 of those guys to replace Dwight or Davis and you draft your next Givens...I don't see a problem at all.

Boston Boxer said:
Deon Branch
Bethel Johnson
John Stone
Zuriel Smith
Mike McGrew
Brandon Childress
Rich Musinski

You do know its only March 14th, right?

F.B.N. said:
It only takes 1 of those guys to replace Dwight or Davis and you draft your next Givens...I don't see a problem at all.

Man, I wish i had your "glass half full" mentality

Its only fair to mention that this management team's unprescedented run of success in building championship football teams probably had a lot to do with the poster's 'Glass is Half Full" mentality.

Which makes sense to me. Far more sense than a 'Glass is Half Empty" mentality in the midst of the most successful period in the team's 46 year history.

patsox23 said:
This is how the Patriots operate, to fantastic, HISTORICAL success. Relax. Do you honestly think Belioli is going to have the team suit up with just Branch, Bam Childress and Bethel Johnson? They're not infallible but they're not idiots. They're better than almost everyone in the WORLD at this. Give it time.
Excellent, excellent post, patsox. I am really amazed at how quickly some people panic.

Boston Boxer said:
Man, I wish i had your "glass half full" mentality

Have you seen some of the scrubs that have been on this team at key positions when they've won 3 SB's over the past 5 years ? How can you not have confidence in the front office to assemble a team good enough to win by the time the season starts. I for one will remain cautiously optimistic until on the field, the bottom falls out.

I believe that turnover on successful teams is necessary in order for continued hunger on the field, as long as the people who make the decisions on the replacements are qualified to do so.

i did not say i did not have confidence in the staff...i said i was getting a little worried. Not knowing what is going through the staffs head is making me wonder aloud. Damn, why the hell do we have a message board

Patience, children, patience.

Keep in mind that BB and Pioli are two of the smartest guys in the league. They have a reason for everything they do and everything they don't do.

Boston Boxer said:
i did not say i did not have confidence in the staff...i said i was getting a little worried. Not knowing what is going through the staffs head is making me wonder aloud. Damn, why the hell do we have a message board
When have you ever known what was "going through the staff's head?"

You never have. Neither have I, or any of us here. So you must worry a lot.

Personally, I think its more that this is the conditioned reaction of the New England sports fan. It was bred into us as surely as pessimism has been bred into New Englanders. In the words of Glenn Ordway, "this is what we do."

I don't think we should be proud of that, and I don't think we should expect others to simply accept it.

Compare us to Steelers at WR

F.B.N. said:
We have a boatload of WR's on our roster...could one of them be better than we think?

This is the key question!

Picture the Steelers. Last year they lose Plaxico. This year Randle El. Somehow they will phase in somebody I haven't heard of at WR, and he'll be pretty good. They manage to have a steady stream of "grow-your-own" talent. Hopefully the Pats are this way at WR --- I just don't know who that next WR is!

shakadave said:
This is the key question!

Picture the Steelers. Last year they lose Plaxico. This year Randle El. Somehow they will phase in somebody I haven't heard of at WR, and he'll be pretty good. They manage to have a steady stream of "grow-your-own" talent. Hopefully the Pats are this way at WR --- I just don't know who that next WR is!

Good analogy actually. Similar.

The Pats are $20 million (according to some link) under the cap. Not too bad. Could address many needed positions in the draft. Maybe Beioli sees this draft as a good one for the Pats.

Beioli knows more than the rest of us...and I wouldn't dare believe that they want to quit winning.

A good book on this sort of subject is "Money Ball."

It isn't entirely modular to football...but...it is close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes