PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Give us your 20. (Not a Mock}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Missile

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Give us your 20 players that the Pats have a realistic shot at without a trade, that improve this team right away or a player you think will be aa monster with time. Keep it realistic, for example Ingram or Richardson are not falling to 27. Basically any round, any school,sleepers included that if the Patriots drafted you would be ecstatic about within reason. For example if the Patriots picked up Wolfe in the 4th that is an ideal pickup.

Here's my 20 (I excluded Cox,Brockers,Ingram,Couples because I feel there is no realistic possibility of landing these guys without a tradeup.)

1.Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama 1/2
2.Whitney Mercilus OLB Illinois 1/2
3.Shea McClellin OLB Boise State 1/2
4.Bruce Irvin OLB West Virginia 2/3
5.Jake Bequette OLB Arkansas 3/4
6.Jarius Wright Wr Arkansas 3-5
7.Kendall Wright Wr Baylor 1/2
8.Marvin Jones Wr California 2/3
9.Jeff Allen G Illinois 2/3
10.Amini Silatolu G Midwestern State2/3
11.Devon Still DE Penn State 1
12.Billy Winn DE Boise State 2/3
13.Derek Wolfe DE Cincinatti 3/4
14.Akiem Hicks DE Regina 4/5
15.Alameda Ta'amu DT Washington 2
16.Josh Chapman DT Alabama 2/3
17.Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina 2
18.Josh Robinson CB South Florida 3
19.Harrison Smith SS Notre Dame 2
20.Mark Barron SS Alabama 1

Just getting a rough draft of what kind of players other posters are looking for and who would be happy come draft day. It usually never works out on this board as far as who you want as opposed to who the Patriots pick but normally I'm happy if they pick just 1 or 2 of my guys.

Last edited:
Good idea. I'm going to split mine into "improves the team right away" and "monster in time". These are in order.

Improves The Team Right Away

1. Mark Barron, S, Alabama
2. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
3. Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama

(Yes I really like those 'Bama guys)

4. Alfonso Dennard, CB/S, Nebraska
5. Devon Still, DT, Penn State
6. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
7. Shea McLellin, OLB, Boise State
8. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
9. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia
10. Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas (for his returning)

A Monster With Time

1. Jamell fleming, CB, Oklahoma
2. Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
3. Marvin Jones, WR, Cal
4. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
5. Akiem Hicks, DT, Regina
6. Jake Bequette, OLB, Arkansas
7. Frank Alexander, OLB, Oklahoma

Not Sure Which Category They Fit In

1. Stephon Gilmore, CB, S Carolina
2. Antonio Allen, S, S Carolina
3. Greg Childs, WR, S Carolina

I see you also like your Oklahoma and South Carolina guys too.;)

I thought South Carolina had an absolute whale of a year considering their QB situation and the fact that Larrimore went down with the knee injury.

Given that two really good players are coming back to Columbia next year in Taylor and Clowney, you just had to think their was some quality coming out in this draft and they have not disappointed me at all in that regard.

I am not surprised he has a few SC players on his list.

I did watch a lot of Oklahoma along with Alabama. Funnily enough, I didn't see that much of S Carolina in relation to others - I just really like Gilmore as a safety or nickel back and think Antonio allen would be superb as a third in the box safety. But yes, on alabama and Oklahoma I'm probably influenced a little by how much I saw them play.

I'm a big fan of both the Oklahoma and Arkansas programs too. Haven't seen much of the South Carolina either. In hindsight if you were Ryan Mallett why would you leave a receiving core of Childs,Adams and Wright? Probably the best trio in the Nation and imo had he stayed he would of easily been a top 10 pick this year.

I have a lot of concerns that by the time the Pats are on the clock at #27, there will be nothing left but basically players with second round grades. Add that to the fact that we just signed a ton of Free Agents and I think you have a situation where rookies are going to struggle to make the Patriots next season and even high draft picks are going to struggle to get playing time.

All things considered however, there are some players that I grade as Pats type players and the Pats should have a chance at these players:

1.) SS Baron Alabama - I have heard that the Jets and Ravens both love the kid.
2.) ILB/OLB Hightower Alabama - Pittsburgh is thought to be in love with him and Cordy Glenn. They can only have one.
3.) CB Gilmore SC - A late climber due to his speed and good tape.
4.) CB Kirkpatrick Alabama - Has some questions to answer concerning character, but is a physical presense at CB.
5.) C Konz Wisconsin - His junior tape was out of this world! He could move Connelly back to OG depending on the Waters situation.
6.) OLB Perry USC - I am not a fan of one year wonders, but this kid intrigues me with his big motor. Not as sudden as I would like, but as a situational pass rusher he makes sense.
7.) DE Reyes Uconn - Not a lot of upside, but very solid as a pass rusher and run defender.
8.) OLB Upshaw Alabama - Only ran a 4.8. I was expecting a 4.6. Not sure our defense can handle a shorter version of Cunningham.
9.) DE Crick Nebraska - Needs to add some pounds, but already has two gap experience in college. He excelled when Suh was lined up on the side on him, now what can he do between Wilrfork and Scott.
10.) OLB McCellan Boise State - He impressed me at the combine, I wish his tape was better.
11.) OLB Curry Marshall - Nonstop motor and great at forcing fumbles. If he were as sudden as Von Miller, I would take him at #27.
12.) OT Potter Boise State - "Solder light" is how I refer to him. Nice length at 6'6" and the feet of a dancer. Not sure what is going on with Light, and Vollmer's back scares me because backs are so tricky. I think we take him in the third and he breaks BB's terrible string of third round disasters.
13.) C Jones Georgia - Say what you will about Jones' warts, but no one can deny he is quick off the snap, add in 4 year starter and captain and I think BB could like him as well.
14.) NT Chapman Alabama - Played have the year on a torn ACL how tough is that? Will need a red shirt year.
15.) NT Talama Washington - He caught my eye at the senior bowl. Needs to lower the pad level and then he could be a beast in the middle of a 3-4.
16.) FS Martin Oklahoma State - Put him near the LOS and he looks weak. Give him room to roam and he makes a few plays and looks like a solid contributor in our defense.
17.) OLB Bequette Arkansas - Limited athlete who produced while injured in the SEC. Could be a player in the NFL if healthy.
18.) OT Reynolds BYU - Much better as a junior than a senior, needs technique work in order to take his game to the next level and we have a great teacher when it comes to technique.
19.) CB Johnson Iowa State - a physical player who needs to mature a bit. Might work well in our defense.
20.) SS Daniel Duke - My UDFA must signing. Every time you watch Duke tape, this kid makes tackles and plays all over the place. If he ran a little faster, he might have gotten drafted.

No rhyme or reason for the order here:

1. Bruce Irvin, DE/LB, WVU - After weighing the plusses and minuses of all the guys in this draft, Irvin looks to be a lock to be the most effective pass rusher in this class.

2. Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida - Risky, but this guy put up all-world numbers at the combine. He might be too athletic to fail.

3. Junior Hemingway, WR, Michigan - Very well might be a UDFA but this guy has everything you look for in a WR besides college production. Low risk, potentially high reward.

4. Audie Cole, ILB, NC State - No idea at all why this guy isn't ranked way, way higher. Productive, versatile and athletic. Easily a better football player than Tracy White, Niko Koutouvides, Gary Guyton and probably Spikes as well.

5. Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas - White Willie McGinest with a multi-round discount.

6. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina - Pretty much everything you look for in a starting CB.

7. James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma - I see no reason whatsoever to not pick this guy and make him an outside receiver. He is faster than half of the WR prospects this year.

8. Kendall Reyes, DL, UConn - Only 3-4 DE prospect I see worth taking with a high pick.

9. Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame - Has the productivity and athleticism to potentially play FS.

10. Chris Rainey, RB, Florida - They need a replacement for Faulk and Rainey, while very small, should fit the bill.

11. Jeron McMillian, S, Maine - UDFA-type who might have the stuff to play as a professional. His combine numbers were very good.

12. Markus Kuhn, DL, NC State - Fairly new to football but he ticks off all the athleticism boxes you look for in a 3-4 defensive lineman.

13. Derek Wolfe, DL, Cincinnati - His slowness kind of worries me but the other measurables and the productivity are all there.

14. Mike Martin, DT, Michigan - Strong and quick. Martin would be a nice replacement for Jarvis Green, even though he's kind of short.

15. Donald Stephenson, OL, Oklahoma - This is one of the most athletic offensive linemen in this draft. Doesn't really fit a need but I wouldn't pass on a bargain like this.

16. Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota - See above. Too steep a bargain to pass up.

17. Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State - Did little to distinguish himself during the workout/all-star season but he's still a good football player.

18. Tommy Streeter, WR, The U - Shot in the dark here. I hated watching Jacory Harris throw the ball, so maybe Streeter has something left to show when an incompetent isn't chucking him the rock.

19. Nick Perry, DE, USC - He looks stiff as hell but he is the most explosive athlete in this draft.

20. Duke Inenacho, S, San Jose State - If he isn't actually the tree sloth he appeared to be at the combine, this guy might be worth taking a look at.

Okay, i am going to only list realistic people like you asked that have caught my eye in no particular order.

1. lavonte david- his instincts are amazing and instantly improves our 3rd down defense and could start if we stay in a 4-3.

2. cyrus gray- I really began to notice him in the 2011 bowl game against lsu and have been a fan since.

3. jayron hosley- extremely quick and has great awareness of the ball. Also doesn't suffer from confidence issues after surrendering a big play.

4. nick perry- the only pass rusher that i am confident will be a factor at the next level.

5. jerel worthy- not perfect, but he seems like a better version of gerrad warren.

6. billy winn- not flashy but just very solid.

7. mitchell schwartz- I like what i see from this guy.

8. michael brewster- seems like a versatile center/guard

9. peter konz- i crave a strong running game and he could definitely help. I don't like that he is often injured though.

10. trumain johnson- as a safety only. seems to like to give a big cushion and plays the deep ball well.

11. janoris jenkins- i can't seem to ignore his playmaking ability despite his red flags.

12. delano howell- something about his game that i just like.

13. jeff fuller- man this guy's stock has fallen. But his game translates well into what we do. His blocking on bubble screens are awesome and he boxes out defenders so well on five yard passes.

14. ty hilton- imho he can do everything edelman does on offense better and return kicks.

15. jarius wright- seems like he would fit exactly what we do.

16. chandler jones- at first i hated him but he just grew on me and i can see him doing exactly what andre carter did.

17. donta hightower- i think of him as the black rob ninkovitch.

18. doug martin- compact and powerful. i somehow like him much more than i have ever liked mark ingram even though they seem similar. I didn't even want ingram but i would gladly take martin. weird.

19. ryan broyles- is deion branch with better hands.

20. josh chapman- he could help sure up our run defense and give wilfork a break for once.

Devon Still, DT - Penn State
Kendall Reyes, DT - Connecticut
Josh Chapman, DT - Alabama
Derek Wolfe, DT - Cincinnati
Andre Branch, DE/OLB - Clemson
Vinny Curry, DE/OLB - Marshall
Shea McClellin, DE/OLB - Boise State
Mark Barron, SS - Alabama
Brandon Taylor, SS - LSU
Markelle Martin, FS - Oklahoma State
Brandon Hardin, FS - Oregon State
Jamell Fleming, CB - Oklahoma
Shaun Prater, CB - Iowa
Ron Brooks, CB - LSU
Ben Jones, C - Georgia
Kevin Zeitler, OG - Wisconsin
Cyrus Gray, RB - Texas A&M
Greg Childs, WR - Arkansas
Marvin Jones, WR - California
Ryan Broyles, WR - Oklahoma

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back