Welcome to PatsFans.com

Give to Haiti now, write off in '09

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jan 23, 2010.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Again, I doubt this is too terribly controversial, but we'll see.

House OKs 2009 tax break for Haiti gifts - Tax Tactics- msnbc.com

The House has passed a bill to let you write off a donation to Haiti relief on your 09 taxes, if you give in Jan./Feb 2010.

Even if it is noncontroversial, for the individual, it is good information. Give now, get a little brownie point at tax time.

PFnV
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yeah, it does kind of suck that if you give to Haitians you get a deduction now but if you give to American charities you have to wait a year. I guess Haiti is more important than your favorite American charity. Not to me, sorry.
  3. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"election year" and probably also "census year" play big roles.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I just don't get it, most people can't afford to double their charitable contributions and we'll end up hurting charities here. My preferred charities are Cancer Research (as my mom died from cancer 10 months ago) and Children's Hospitals (as that was what my mom liked to give to and I saw some sad cases when my son needed spinal cord surgery at 3 months old). I see no reason why Haitians are suddenly more important than the kids I saw with brain cancer, for example. I don't get it but I guess it's mostly just me.
  5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Just like union workers. :singing:
  6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Tax write off for Haiti relief, Michael, not Hater relief. :singing:

Sound it out next time.

PFnV
  7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Clearly you didn't get the point. That's OK.
  8. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I work in a tax office, and my boss told me about this on Fri - I highly recommend giving money to charity, b/c you reap the rewards of getting a nice tax break a year after, especially when you really need the money, however, I would NOT give a DIME to the Haiti foundation.

While my prayers go out to Haiti, you can bet alot of these donations will go into the pockets of Clinton/Bush and the United Nations. NO way do I went them to touch a penny of anyone's money.
  9. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Although I would beware of who you would give it too - for example, in 1954, Lyndon Johnson(then Senate Majority leader) passed legislation allowing churches to take tax deductions from their offerings(among other things) if they agreed to incorporate as a 501c3 charter-the strings attached were that not only you couldn't speak out supporting political candidates, but you also couldn't speak out criticizing the government/public policy(i.e. abortion) as well.

Pretty much - it goes WAY beyond this - the IRS has FINAL say over how these 501c3 churches our runned. They have a board of directors, the pastor is the CEO, the IRS can look into their accounting books, etc. Don't be surprised if at least some of this money is going to sinister causes like building that 3rd Temple in Jersuselum. I mean now it's gotten as far as the IRS is INSTRUCTING pastors on HOW they should preach(i.e. you won't find King James Version bibles in any of these churches anymore).

Basically - the whole purpose of this legislation was the get churches to STAND DOWN. I mean remember during the time of slavery, churches played a big part in helping to end it. Now? With some 90% being incorporated with the government? Aside from our 'mainstream elites' like Robertson, Dobson, and Hagee, you don't hear a peep about anything.

BTW - there's plenty of Scripture that says that when you give, you do it privately where the Lord in heaven is very pleased, not in front of many where you'll get the praises of many.
  10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Okayyyyy... the info's out there for those who want it.
  11. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Oh by the way, I don't know what the Haiti foundation is. Were I you, with this aversion to something called the Haiti foundation, I'd give to Red Cross, Unicef, Oxfam, whatever. Pick one you like. A great number of charitable organizations are involved in providing relief in Haiti.

PFnV
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

The Salvation Army
    The only charitable organization on the face of the earth that can be trusted the rest of them are Big Business with their CEO's and crooked schemes, just like General Motors.
  13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

It seems to me that we're trying to initiate a Marshall Plan out of mostly private funds. I think the hope is that Haitian society can advance by leaps and bounds and we can do for them what we did for Japan and Europe after WWII. By the way, I think CNN has done an amazing job in its coverage of Haiti.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +398 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I think Biden would be disappointed in you all deducting this goodwill gesture from your taxes. Remember it's patriotic to pay your taxes, not dodge them like this.
  15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Here's a link to an organization that only lists charities with overhead 25% or less ("often much less"), but this one is for the DC area I BELIEVE...

How to Decide which charities to support

Salvation army comes in at 18.2% fundraising and overhead cost, which is not terrible but far from the only high performer. If you only like Salvation Army, by all means I'd urge you to give to them or continue to give to them.

Forbes did a guide here...

America's Most (And Least) Efficient Charities - Forbes.com

w/this info listed for the nat'l salvation army:

Forbes.com: Forbes Charities 2004

..and this listed for American Red Cross...

Forbes.com: Forbes Charities 2004

ARC indeed looks to have lower "fundraising efficiency" nationwide, and the top salary is very high. However, we have this to think about...

ARC's charitable commitment -- the amount of money raised that goes to charitable causes -- at 91%. Salvation Army's Charitable commtmt is 83%.

Ugh, read the footnotes for the remainder of these metrics and what they mean.

What I WAS trying to point out is that it's a myth and an excuse that "ooooh none of my money really GOES to the needy," and if you're only comfortable w/Salvation Army on that count, so be it, give to them.

Don't agree, however, that "all the rest are theives" or however you phrased it.
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yeah but we're already getting accused of using the earthquake as an excuse for an invasion and occupation.

Cnn has been great.....and Anderson Cooper is a hero!

Anderson Cooper Saves Boy From Looters - Video - The Daily Beast
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Chavez has pretty much managed to lose credibility with the American Left. He's done some good things, but unfortunately he seems to favor a Cold War world model.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly. When Chavez said he "smelled sulfur" following a Bush speeck at the U.N., the American Left rallied around him and talked about how wonderful he was and how relations with him would be different if only we elected a good liberal President.

Then when Chavez said virtually the exact same thing about Obama, all of a sudden he "lost credibility" with those same liberals who used to laud him.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

Hey SB42: "Just cover the story, Sanjay, it's not brain surgery..."

:D

(Dr. Sanjay Gupta was reporting down there and "went native" and started doing medicine... he's actually taken some heat on journalistic ethics grounds for saving lives. )
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  20. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +391 / 6 / -9

I think we should shame him into silence by helping our own citizens heat their homes, and make it national policy, so we can never be put in the position again to accept aid from Chavez, of all people.

Until that time: oh yeah we'll take your subsidized home heating oil.