PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Give Maroney Full-Time KR and PR Duties

Status
Not open for further replies.
PR is a no-no, though. It takes something special to be a PR in the NFL, and Maroney's talents are a better fit for KR.

PR I don't see a reason to make any change. Faulk is both consistently good and incredibly tough.

PR I don't see a reason to make any change. Faulk is both consistently good and incredibly tough.

Faulk is great at PR, and Hobbs is also great at KR, but I don't think that's what we are talking about here.

The issue is about risk, in generating injuries, while also considering the talent that would have to step up if certain players went down. I feel much more comfortable with our RB depth than I do our CB depth.

I agree that our best lineup possibly Faulk at PR and Hobbs at KR, but I do not think that is in the long term best interest of the team. You need to consider what would happen if Hobbs or Faulk were to get injured and who would replace them.

Maroney could take over Hobbs' duties, for example, and give a very similar output, while minimizing the risk that we would lose Hobbs.

Faulk is great at PR, and Hobbs is also great at KR, but I don't think that's what we are talking about here.

The issue is about risk, in generating injuries, while also considering the talent that would have to step up if certain players went down. I feel much more comfortable with our RB depth than I do our CB depth.

I agree that our best lineup possibly Faulk at PR and Hobbs at KR, but I do not think that is in the long term best interest of the team. You need to consider what would happen if Hobbs or Faulk were to get injured and who would replace them.

Maroney could take over Hobbs' duties, for example, and give a very similar output, while minimizing the risk that we would lose Hobbs.

No offense, but some of you act as if kick returning has the same risk as playing in traffic blindfolded. Hobbs got hurt playing DB and was out 1 play in Sunday's game, should he not play DB until the playoffs? Football is a dangerous game, but you can't go babying players. Trying to avoid, and therefore putting that possibility in the front of your mind, is a sure way to cause an injury. Self fulfilling prophecies...

No offense, but some of you act as if kick returning has the same risk as playing in traffic blindfolded. Hobbs got hurt playing DB and was out 1 play in Sunday's game, should he not play DB until the playoffs? Football is a dangerous game, but you can't go babying players. Trying to avoid, and therefore putting that possibility in the front of your mind, is a sure way to cause an injury. Self fulfilling prophecies...

Then why not just play Moss in more football situations, and put Wilfork in at fullback while you're at it?

You don't just play your 10 best guys as much as possible in every situation they could play in, you have to factor in the very real injury risk.

Then why not just play Moss in more football situations, and put Wilfork in at fullback while you're at it?

You don't just play your 10 best guys as much as possible in every situation they could play in, you have to factor in the very real injury risk.

If it made sense to do that then sure. Seymour has played FB. Vrabel still plays TE. Do you believe that BB has not put his 11 best players on the field due to "injury" concern, aside from players who are hurt or have ailing injuries?

Also an offensive starter is unlikely to return kicks, they need to catch their breaths.

Also an offensive starter is unlikely to return kicks, they need to catch their breaths.

But it's not like this hasn't happened before. There was definitely a time in 2006 where Maroney was our primary kick returner. Now, like then, he often won't be on the field for first down anyway.

But it's not like this hasn't happened before. There was definitely a time in 2006 where Maroney was our primary kick returner. Now, like then, he often won't be on the field for first down anyway.

Wasn't clock killing Corey Dillon the starter in 06? Maroney is usually in on first downs for us now.

I still reserve the right to pull the enigmaroney card out whenever I want though :D

Last edited:
Wasn't clock killing Corey Dillon the starter in 06? Maroney is usually in on first downs for us now.

I still reserve the right to pull the enigmaroney card out whenever I want though :D

I haven't noticed him in on the majority of first downs for us. You're right, Corey was the undisputed starter in 06, but it seems to me we're almost back to how it was then, with Maroney only coming in when the defense has been softened up a little.

I could be wrong about that though, I haven't seen any numbers.

I haven't noticed him in on the majority of first downs for us. You're right, Corey was the undisputed starter in 06, but it seems to me we're almost back to how it was then, with Maroney only coming in when the defense has been softened up a little.

I could be wrong about that though, I haven't seen any numbers.

I don't know how to get the numbers but I'm fairly certain you'd see Maroney in on a great percentage of first downs after kick/punt returns.

Jordan is injured. Jordan is frequently injured. Jordan has a back problem, which means he'll be prone to hurt/injury for the rest of his career. He's also only averaged above 4 YPC in one game this season.

Maroney is injured/hurt. Maroney is frequently injured/hurt. He's only had averaged above 4 YPC in one game this season.

Morris was injured last season. Morris is averaging 3.3 YPC this season. He's 31 years old. He's only averaged above 4 YPC in one game this season.

This team needs all 3 rbs in order to accommodate the inevitable injuries, and putting Maroney in on krs and prs is not the best way to do that, especially when Hobbs does krs so very well.

All this proves is that RBs are all the same. You can more or less replace the production of any one of these guys with any goon off the street. There aren't many RBs in the NFL who can do more than the next guy (Kevin Faulk, in my opinion, is the only "special" RB on this team, but his specialty isn't as a workhorse back), which is why drafting one in the 1st round is a terrible idea, especially given their shelf lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back